Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Doesn't look good

Well if it heads up to Virginia and I'm offline for a week or so again you know why. Though I have a new generator now so that shouldn't be a problem like it was last year.

Oh I hope it changes... I don't want my computer blown away... And I'm gonna get the first of it if it comes to Florida :notworthy:

I just wanted some rain!

Good news for Floridians. The Hurricane is top guessed to fly up toward the Carolinas.

You guys really don't need another one right now. I mean we have Tornadoes here but not on that wide spread of a path. You think if we detonated a bomb in the middle of the hurricane it might dissapate it?

The latest update shows Frances taking a more southward route but that could change. This will be terrible for South Florida. I've sort of forgotten there are other things going on in the world.

My gas station was OUT OF GAS!!! - I guess all the refugees on their way to Georgia sucked us dry. (and people buying gas for their generators) And the traffic was unbelievable - I didn't know at first what had happened then I realized two highways merge through my little town.

(I did find another gas station - people were waiting in line - and I was able to give someone directions - what's amazing is how many people couldn't tell her how to get where she needed to go)

No one I know is leaving - we are further North but I hope we get some gas - I have to commute to work.

I hope everyone will be prudent - I think property damage is inevitable but it would be nice if no one got killed.

The hurricane won't hit us. It will go above us. It'll just rain pretty hard. But if I don't post here Friday or Saturday, head for Georgia! :lol:

(BTW, I live in Miami, so I'll be the first one here to be hit :bow:

sea trooper's staying where he is. Just to a thickly built building :lol:

Now that it's so slow, they predict that it will leave Florida by tuesday.....

And I still have to work saturday! What idiots at corperate think we should stay open during the hurricane!!!

Not Looking Good for you folks in Florida. I hope seatrooper and Unicorn Hunter Headed for higher ground.

259500[/snapback]

I am sitting here in my home, listening to the wind and rain...well, that and just a few moments ago I heard another *crack* so more than likely a tree branch just broke. Lost a tree already, at about 3 this morning. And I am well north of the eyewall. Supposed to have 35 - 50 mph winds until sometime tomorrow evening.

I hope all of you who are in FL are staying safe in the storm. As for me today, I am doing my best to stay safe, along with going out during some of the squalls taking pictures now that I have a good digital camera (so now I will have photos to go along with the maps I keep)

My gas station was OUT OF GAS!!! - I guess all the refugees on their way to Georgia sucked us dry. (and people buying gas for their generators) And the traffic was unbelievable - I didn't know at first what had happened then I realized two highways merge through my little town.
That is probably so true, UH about the people on the way to GA. I know that Friday there were a bunch of people running in to where I work begging directions to our local Wal-Mart, the best grocery store in town, gas station with the best prices...that is if they were not complaining that the supplies were running out. Some of the people who came to the store were from as far away as Key West and the Bahamas.

I feel for all of you. As of now I am tracking this storm while its moving more inland. I hope to all of you that you stay safe. Don't try anything stupid. Take shelter and please stay in. I think personally if I were there I would have left when I heard about it. But I know you all have your reasoning. So I leave you with this. Stay safe, and PLEASE don't do anything stupid... Have a nice day. Or at least try to make what is left in your day nice. :)

My area didn't get hit. Just like I said. I'm alright and everything is fine. Here that is. But for the people north of here...... I hope everyone is alright.

You okay Unicorn Hunter?

Wow, can I just say how grateful I am for electricity.

The thing is, we weren't in the projected storm path so evacuation wasn't necessary. Usually, you just pick up all outside furniture etc - possibly board up your windows and have batteries, flashlights, water and canned food. The most any of us here expected was rain and maybe loss of power. It is still raining so the threat of flooding isn't over yet.

The counties usually open shelters for people in low-lying (flood prone) areas or people with unsecure homes (older homes or mobile homes). I'll be interested in seeing what repercussions come to the mayor of Jacksonville since he didn't order shelters open until the storm was already hitting his city which sent people out seeking shelter during tropical storm force winds.

I actually ended up spending less time without power than the rest of my family because when I got home this morning my power was on. My mom and I stayed with my nephew - he had a tree fall early yesterday but it didn't hit anything. We spent most of yesterday listening to the wind howl, watching limbs fly by - speculating on which tree would go next and and commenting on the people that were out walking around (while we continued to experience gusts and flying debris). We ate melting ice cream for dinner and played board games by candlelight. There was a three year old with us and she was scared because she didn't understand exactly what was going on. And we were a considerable distance from the eye of the storm. However, we were on the North side so lots of heavy rain and wind.

My apartment was safe but a neighbor around the corner had a big tree move in with them. Several trees are down and lots of people are without power - I feel very sorry for the people with small children and no electricity.

From what I can tell (cable is still out so relying on internet for the news) we're looking more at property damage than injury or loss of life as regards Frances. Which is IMO a good thing - things can be replaced.

During a press conference Governor Bush said he would fine anyone $5.00 if they said "Ivan".

Let's so hope Ivan dissipates.

Guest Ktrek

Glad to hear you're alright UA! Let's hope Ivan is a no show!!

Kevin

*fines Ktrek $5.00*

Well Ivan is now a catagory 5, so it will most deffinetly run out before it gets here.

I was suppose to fly out to visit my folks yesterday but :b-day: Frances closed the Tampa airport. I was re-scheduled to fly in on Tuesday night. I still have to pay for a week's puppy care for my dog and I had to tell my husband as he was planning to take me to Dayton airport. Daniel is only home about once a week for 7 or 8 hours so his planning the time to take me was affected and so will his day off. I hope I make it tomorrow as I've never been to their home in Florida. I haven't heard from my parents yesterday or today so I hope that I get a email or something soon.

Here is the post that I did in Jeanway's thread in the Sci/Tech forum.. that way I do not have the same post twice...just the link.

My post in the ~Do You Own A Barometer~ thread

Well Ivan is now a catagory 5, so it will most deffinetly run out before it gets here.
Let us hope it runs out of fuel before it gets here.. I do not think the state could handle another major hurricane. That will be 3 in the last month(plus a tropical storm)

I am so very glad to hear you all are ok, Sea Trooper & UH!! :b-day:

I haven't heard from my parents yesterday or today so I hope that I get a email or something soon.
I hope you hear from your parents soon.. I know that a situation like that is tough. I have family throughout the state...and am hoping to hear from them soon (some as far away as Key West and Fort Myers) I wish you all well, and hope that all in the path can recover and swiftly return to life as it once was.