Sign in to follow this  
Stelfan

Robotech - Macross Saga

Has anyone seen Robotech, I really love the series, have downloaded the entire Macross Saga, going for the second series now, you should watch it if you haven't already.. Great stories, wounderful characters.. It's great!

You should know that it's manga (a bit old style, hope you don't have preconceptions) :laugh:

Has anyone seen Robotech, I really love the series, have downloaded the entire Macross Saga, going for the second series now, you should watch it if you haven't already.. Great stories, wounderful characters.. It's great!

You should know that it's manga (a bit old style, hope you don't have preconceptions)  :)

whats robotech, and whats manga? lol

I watched it when I was really young in the early 80's. I don't remember much, but I remember I really liked it. I want to buy the DVD sets because I've been wanting to see this stuff again since 1985.

I watched it when I was really young in the early 80's. I don't remember much, but I remember I really liked it. I want to buy the DVD sets because I've been wanting to see this stuff again since 1985.

There are 3 different series, I personally liked the first one best (with Rick Hunter, Roy, Captain Gloval).. They aren't hard to find, and pretty cheap, about 50$ for 3 DVD full of episodes..

If you haven't yet, I'd suggest checking out SDF:Macross. It was the Japanese show that was adapted into Robotech:The Macross Saga. It's somewhat expensive to get on DVD, but well worth the money, IMO.

I grew up with Robotech, but quickly began to love the original series once I had a chance to watch them. I'm currently watching Mospeada again. That was the series that got adapted into Robotech: The New Generation.

There are 3 different series, I personally liked the first one best (with Rick Hunter, Roy, Captain Gloval).. They aren't hard to find, and pretty cheap, about 50$ for 3 DVD full of episodes..

Yup, I saw them at the mall the other day, which is what made me think of it.

I have old episodes on agin vhs tape. I've been thinking of getting the entire series on DVD. I also remember a movie which pretty much involved the same characters but was out side the continuity of the tv show. It was a great movie nonetheless. This and Starblazers were my all time favorite cartoons.

I have old episodes on agin vhs tape.  I've been thinking of getting the entire series on DVD.  I also remember a movie which pretty much involved the same characters but was out side the continuity of the tv show.  It was a great movie nonetheless.  This and Starblazers were my all time favorite cartoons.

You can get the entire Robotech:The Macross Saga on DVD for around $50, I think. The other two sagas are around $30-40. That's if you go to Best Buy, and if you get just the episode DVDs and not the extras disc that comes in the mini-boxes.

One word of warning, the DVDs pic quality is pretty poor. It's sharp, but grainy. And it looks like the image is stretched vertically a bit. I have a bunch of the episodes from the Robotech Perfect Collection (it had 2 episodes from the original, and 2 episodes from Robotech on each tape. Unfortunately, it was never completed) on VHS, and the image quality is far better in comparison. Too bad HG or ADV wanted to shell out the cash to get the image quality fixed up before throwing them onto DVD.

The movie that you're referring to is Macross: Do You Remember Love? It's been released here in the US as Clash of the Bionoids, which was heavily edited. At least 30 minutes was cut out. There's also a full version release on VHS that you might be able to track down. Both contain the same horrid Hong Kong English dub. Well, some of the voice aren't bad, it's just poorly executed. You can find a subbed version on DVD on eBay, but it's not an official release. There won't be an official release of this movie on DVD until the rights are settled. The battle over SDF:Macross is still going, and I think the DYRL? battle is even more convoluted.

DYRL? was a retelling of the first 27 episodes of SDF:Macross (the Japanese series that Robotech was a dub, and story change of). It changed some things, but had to to condense the story down to 2 hours. Kawamori, the Macross mecha designer and main cheese, has said that the real story is somewhere in between the series and the movie. Elements of both the series and movie have been used in the sequels Macross Plus, and Macross 7. DYRL?, or a version of it, has also been worked into the story of Macross 7 by being a "movie within a movie". It's to the Macross world what a WW2 movie would be to us.

There was also another movie, called Macross II (it was actually 6 episodes with the opening and closing pulled out and released on one DVD in the US), that isn't officially part of the storyline. It was created by Big West, but without the input of Kawamori. Kawamori came back a year or so later and made Macross Plus and Macross 7.

Robotech is awesome... I remember watching it on television at 6:30am. I have all of the DVD's, Comic Books (that were the same as the television show), and the game that was released by Harmony Gold for PS2.

Robotech was and is the best Manga ever!!!

:)