Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Evolution

Here is a thought provoking topic. Do you think that society will evolve into the one presented by Star Trek?

By this question I do not mean to ask whether you think we will achieve warp speed as I am thinking more about Roddenberry's dream of a utropian planet.

I believe we will someday achieve Utopian Status, it will take an act of God but that is one of His promises. :laugh:

Nicely said :bow:

Here comes Mr. Pessimism. I don't know anymore. One of the things that attracted me to Star Trek is that it represents a world in which Earth had solved most of the problems of today and now are heading in a new direction. But I'm also a history buff and with recent events I can't see any real difference in present human behavior than in the past several hundred years. Each generation tends to forget the mistakes made by their ancestors and make the same mistakes again. The nations of the Earth are basically still fighting for the same reasons as people did 1000 years ago. In the last 20 years I've seen the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and so many others don't care. Besides to venture into space and meet other species we should be willing to accept the differnces of in own and I don't see that happening. If Gene Roddenberry's vision does come to pass it won't be in my life time. It's a nice vision I wish the world would give it a chance.

it sucks to say but the only way earth will be united is if humans have some adversary that they have less in common with than each other, they will never unite... like in id4 or in first contact or war of the worlds..etc etc...

Keep in mind I'm posting this at 2:00 a.m. so I hope this makes sense.

I had always hoped so but sometimes I had my doubts. Then all of sudden it hits me, here we are on this BB with people from around the world, different backgrounds, different beliefs and we're doing pretty good. Yea, I think it's possible!!

I don't think it's possible here. What I mean by that is, if in the future we are able to travel and go to other planets as they do in ST, then I think we will form colonies of people who have the same values and belief systems. And they will not tolerate some of the things that happen here. Just like in some of the ST episodes when visitors come to a planet like in TNG "Justice" and "Angel One". They have very strict laws to protect their peace. Other planets won't even accept visitors for this reason.

I think what will be our downfall is overpopulation. The more people you have to more values and ideals differ. Not to mention space. At the rate we a multiplying, we will run out of space and be right on top of each other. That's why big cities have such high murder and crime rates; too many people in one place.

I think it will be very hard, possibly impossible, to unite all the people on earth with such different cultures and beliefs. However, a common enemy could unite us all, but right now we are far to busy killing each other.. :laugh:

When looking at a debate such as this it always make me remember this line from my personal favourite Shakespeare play, and I can even remember Captain Picard using it.

'What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculties! in form and moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god!'

As Picard says, while Hamlet said this with irony, I say it with conviction, and I also hold that belief as I think that we at least have the capacity to make this a reality and to strive for a better future.

If you want to try to attempt to helpt a Utopia Planitia happen, then I suggest you start somewhere. Try making friends with someone who hates you. Try being openminded. Stick to your beliefes and such without offending others. Also, try vollunterring. Try to help end poverty by helping out the poor, and make sure the poor you do help are those who actually need help. Just a few ideas...

If you want to try to attempt to helpt a Utopia Planitia happen, then I suggest you start somewhere.

I believe that my choice of career that I am studying for will allow me to make a contribution to society as I intend to practice law. I believe that anyone who is able to have a positive influence on others is helping to further our future, this could range from school teachers to a friendly shop assistant who puts you in a good mood for the rest of the day, to the good people who run forums and allow people to comunicate.

If you want to try to attempt to helpt a Utopia Planitia happen, then I suggest you start somewhere.

I believe that my choice of career that I am studying for will allow me to make a contribution to society as I intend to practice law. I believe that anyone who is able to have a positive influence on others is helping to further our future, this could range from school teachers to a friendly shop assistant who puts you in a good mood for the rest of the day, to the good people who run forums and allow people to comunicate.

True, but it has to extend beyond one's career down to one's outlook on life and treatment towards others, as that's where real change will lie.

much of the technology we have today seems oddly identical to that of trek.....

cell phones, lap tops, lasers, etc......

I think that we are becoming trek slowly but still. :laugh:

much of the technology we have today seems oddly identical to that of trek.....

cell phones, lap tops,  lasers, etc......

I think that we are becoming trek slowly but still. :laugh:

Isn't there also a tricorder or some version of one around? I'm sure I have read about it somewhere.

I am a firm believer that science and technology have a big part to play in our development, along with our own fundamental principles.

The Star Trek future is not necessarily ideal to me; I also think it is based on some faulty assumptions - ie (no money + no religion = peace). I wouldn't want to live in a world where I was forbidden to believe in God.

However, if your question is whether the different peoples of the world can learn to live in peace. I agree with transportermalfunction that we may have the capacity. I believe the probability that we could achieve it on our own is extremely low; I believe it will come though divine intervention.

However, I also believe that "Divine Intervention" in part requires what CJLP alluded to - the "faithful" must make serious, personal efforts to help those in need. You don't have to be a believer to do good works but I believe it is required of the believers.

I also believe that one of our major failures as a society is the top-down approach we take in addressing social ills, We create government agencies that superimpose programs on the relevant population. Real, lasting change needs to begin with individuals. When the institutions (families, neighborhood communities, churches, schools) that make strong individuals erode you are going to have problems.

While we talk about world conflict; the truth is the US is one of the most violent countries in the world. I think we are fettered from solving many of our problems because we are fragmented into too many special interest groups - and each group opposes anything (even the truth) that doesn't meet its political agenda. Example, enviornmental issues often come to a nature vs. jobs impasse. Yet some groups can go beyond that - such as developers that incorporate eco-friendly zones into their communities. I think this ability to negotiate win-win relationships is what will propel us to a better age.

The Star Trek future is not necessarily ideal to me; I also think it is based on some faulty assumptions - ie (no money + no religion = peace).  I wouldn't want to live in a world where I was forbidden to believe in God.

However, if your question is whether the different peoples of the world can learn to live in peace.  I agree with transportermalfunction that we may have the capacity.  I believe the probability that we could achieve it on our own is extremely low; I believe it will come though divine intervention.

I'm not quite sure that there is no religion in Star Trek as there are several references to their believe in 'God' in the original series, I think this can be seen in the episode 'Who Mourns for Adonais?'.

There is also the Klingon religion that Worf practices in TNG.

So, I believe that God is still around in the world of Star Trek, as I too believe it would be a bit sad if he was not.

On the issue of divine intervention, I would hope that we could do it on our own and while I hold christian beliefs I would like to think that I am in charge of my own destiny as we must choose to do the right thing, of course it could be argued that by doing good we follow the will of God, but it is us who must choose to allow him to guide us, hence we are the ones who make the decision. This can be linked to the painting of Christ knocking on the door of the human heart, waiting to be allowed in.

Not on our own. Even in the Star Trek universe we needed the Vulcans help.

Ugh, so sad....well, I sure HOPE we get there, but the way things are going, I'm not getting my hopes up... - pessimistic dsbs

I'm sure we will eventually, we're evolving all the time, always learning, and if we ever need encouragement, we can always watch an episode or two of st - optimistic dsbs

Well, we're doing ok...but let me put it this way...once we reach rock bottom, the only way to go is up, right (or we could just stay right where we are for all eternity) - balanced dsbs

The Star Trek future is not necessarily ideal to me; I also think it is based on some faulty assumptions - ie (no money + no religion = peace).  I wouldn't want to live in a world where I was forbidden to believe in God.

While we talk about world conflict; the truth is the US is one of the most violent countries in the world.  I think we are fettered from solving many of our problems because we are fragmented into too many special interest groups  - and each group opposes anything (even the truth) that doesn't meet its political agenda. 

Athough I do not understand how we will ever live without using money, the Star Trek future looks pretty good to me. The only thing I do not care for is all of the fighting with other species.

I'm not sure I agree with your perception of what Star Trek is based on. This is a quote from the Great Bird himself from The Trekker's Guide to The Next Generation by Hal Schuster. "I had seen science fiction movies before, but I'd always thought to myself, 'Not enough characterization, not enough motivation.' "Perhaps I could use this as an excuse to go to those far-off planets...and be able to talk about love, war, nature, God, sex and all those things that make up the excitement of the human condition." I do not see any faulty perceptions here. He just wanted to tell a story using "far-off planets" to "talk about the human condition". This of course is just my humble opinion, I am in no way saying you a wrong, just that I do not agree.

I wasn't aware that the US is one of the most violent countries in the world. Are you sure about that? They might report it more than other countries but who knows what's really happening in third world countries. I do however; agree with the rest of your statement.

I think it will be very hard, possibly impossible, to unite all the people on earth with such different cultures and beliefs. However, a common enemy could unite us all, but right now we are far to busy killing each other..  :bow:

I agree with you Stelfan, there's no way the human race would evolve to the utopia of ST, at the moment anyway.

While we talk about world conflict; the truth is the US is one of the most violent countries in the world.  I think we are fettered from solving many of our problems because we are fragmented into too many special interest groups  - and each group opposes anything (even the truth) that doesn't meet its political agenda. 

Athough I do not understand how we will ever live without using money, the Star Trek future looks pretty good to me. The only thing I do not care for is all of the fighting with other species.

I'm not sure I agree with your perception of what Star Trek is based on. This is a quote from the Great Bird himself from The Trekker's Guide to The Next Generation by Hal Schuster. "I had seen science fiction movies before, but I'd always thought to myself, 'Not enough characterization, not enough motivation.' "Perhaps I could use this as an excuse to go to those far-off planets...and be able to talk about love, war, nature, God, sex and all those things that make up the excitement of the human condition." I do not see any faulty perceptions here. He just wanted to tell a story using "far-off planets" to "talk about the human condition". This of course is just my humble opinion, I am in no way saying you a wrong, just that I do not agree.

I wasn't aware that the US is one of the most violent countries in the world. Are you sure about that? They might report it more than other countries but who knows what's really happening in third world countries. I do however; agree with the rest of your statement.

I did read statistics on violence and only one country had more violence than the US and it was in a civil war. There have of course been more civil wars since then so we may not be so close to the bottom but we are still a violent country.

As for Roddenberry's view of Star Trek - I understand he wanted to use the fictional context to explore social issues. I believe he used the term "wagon train to the stars".

As for religion in the future I think we had this discussion on another thread. ST has taken the position of actively denouncing religion among humans (it seems to be okay for aliens). I don't think that is a realistic view of the future.

I don't think a common enemy would unite everyone. There are always going to be people who are self serving and if money isn't an issue - something will be - pride, fame etc.