Sign in to follow this  
Nevin

How is "Relics" the most popular TNG episode?

Forgive me -- I'm new, so I don't know how long that poll has been up. But while Relics was definitely a good episode, I could probably name 10 episodes of TNG that were better. I agreed with the best episode pick of all the other series, but I was very surprised that this merely good episode of TNG was picked as the best.

Well, that is your opinion. Everyone has their own opinion, and your is that Relics isn't your favorite TNG episode, while it is other peoples' favorite episode. :dude:

It was counted because it had the most overall votes. However, if TBOBW was counted together, it might have gotten the favorite...

It was counted because it had the most overall votes. However, if TBOBW was counted together, it might have gotten the favorite...

TBOBW was seperated into Parts I and II?

Even if it's not my favorite TNG episode, I would definitely rank it above Relics. :dude:

I don't really agree with any of the 'best of the best' episodes. It seems like the 'event' episodes have been picked over the truly great ones. Although I do like Relics and Best of Both Worlds I gave The Inner Light the vote.

253742[/snapback]

Even thought The Best Of Both Worlds was broken into Parts I and II their vote counts were combined and still didn't equal Relics. Keep in mind that we only had 33 people vote and also keep in mind what I said earlier, the episode polls are still open and at some point the totals will be recalculated and a new "Favorite Episode of Star Trek" poll will be conducted using those updated numbers.

Also keep in mind that this poll only represents those member's that voted for their favorite episode. That's not to say Relics was "better" then any other episode, it's just that more people voted it as their favorite episode then any other TNG episode.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are wondering why TBOBW was broken into 2 votes, it was the end of one season and the beginning of another season. 2 distinct episodes as opposed to 1 two hour episode.

I don't know, but you can still vote in the episode polls. Like I said, the totals will be recalculated around the end of the year to see if a new poll needs to be done.

Only 33 people voted? What the hell was everyone else doing?

254556[/snapback]

I don't get it either ... everytime there is a poll, I always vote. It takes less that 5 seconds to do it, so why wouldn't you vote?

I, too, find it puzzling that "Relics" is the favorite TNG episode. So many others are just so much better. Oh, well, it just turned out weird.

Even thought The Best Of Both Worlds was broken into Parts I and II their vote counts were combined and still didn't equal Relics. Keep in mind that we only had 33 people vote and also keep in mind what I said earlier, the episode polls are still open and at some point the totals will be recalculated and a new "Favorite Episode of Star Trek" poll will be conducted using those updated numbers.

Where is the poll?

Also keep in mind that this poll only represents those member's that voted for their favorite episode. That's not to say Relics was "better" then any other episode, it's just that more people voted it as their favorite episode then any other TNG episode.

Oh, I know -- as I said, I can name many episodes which I think are better than Relics. I was just surprised that it was so popular.

Another thing to keep in mind if you are wondering why TBOBW was broken into 2 votes, it was the end of one season and the beginning of another season. 2 distinct episodes as opposed to 1 two hour episode.

Still, if you ever see the episodes now, you see them back to back or a day (or, at most, a week) apart. And it's not like Part 1 is exactly a standalone episode. I think that any two-parter should be counted as one episode.

Where is the poll?

Still, if you ever see the episodes now, you see them back to back or a day (or, at most, a week) apart. And it's not like Part 1 is exactly a standalone episode. I think that any two-parter should be counted as one episode.

254911[/snapback]

It's in the Star Trek Polls sub forum of the Voting Booth.

The way the polls were constructed we voted for favorite episodes from each season of each series. TBOBW Part I was at the end of Season 3 and was the season 3 winner, Part II was the first episode of Season 4 and was the winner from that season.

Then we took all 7 episodes (1 from each season) and had a poll for favorite TNG episode. The results for TBOBW Part I and Part II were combined to reflect that even though it is 2 episodes they are viewed as if they are 1. The results still did not surpass Relics. That's why Relics is on the overall list, it had more votes then TBOBW Parts I & II combined.

In my opinion, Yesterday's Enterprise is the best episode. I love the Enterprise C, the resurrection of Tasha Yar and the general feel of the episode. The sense of action and mystery at the end, and the set up for future (Sela) episodes.

I feel that The Best of Both Worlds was great in it's time. I am old enough to remember when it aired and i remember the hype at the time. From a storyline point of view, it had the best cliff hanger ending of any Trek episode. However, the dillution of the Borg and the flood of superior CGI that followed with Voyager just diminished the dramatic effectiveness of The Borg, for me. And I feel that that has left BOBW looking dated and out of line with subsequent Trek.

For me, Relics has a better underlying storyline and was a landmark episode in that we brought together the two generations of TOS and TNG with far better emotion and link than Generations ever hoped to achieve. There is good chemistry between Scotty and the crew and James Doohan had a far better 'bow out' than he had in the seventh movie. The addition of the Dyson sphere (sound like a vacumn cleaner component!) was a worthy storyline that added interest overall.

My thoughts! :)

The TNG book 'Relics' is much more enjoyable than the 1 hour episode.

Have any of you read it? If you're a treky-techy geek, you'll dig the book dialog of Geordi talking about the transporter loop setup by Scotty. The TV episode butchered that text into a few sentences.. Of course they had to to make it fit into the 1 hour timeslot.. I think it's a good book and episode, but IMHO with 7 seasons, there are other episodes that are better. :)

Edited by Frosty

I have the book version, but I think I've only read half of it. I'll admit, the extra dailogue was pretty good.

Relics is great episode but there are others. I think many may say it was one of the best because James Dohan was in it as "Scotty". This episode was probably one of his last appearances in a Star Trek series though I could be wrong. :unsure:

Relics is great episode but there are others.  I think many may say it was one of the best because James Dohan was in it as "Scotty".  This episode was probably one of his last appearances in a Star Trek series though I could be wrong. :unsure:

256737[/snapback]

It was one of his last yes, but not his last. His last would be Star Trek Generations

253742[/snapback]

I agree, TBOBW was one of the best episodes in history of Star Trek.

253742[/snapback]

I agree, TBOBW was one of the best episodes in history of Star Trek.

260764[/snapback]

TBOBW Was counted as one vote. All of the votes for both episodes were combined and Still did not suprass Relics.

That's how it goes sometimes.

Personally, while I thought TBOBW was a good episode I wouldn't rank it as "The Best" possibly not even in the top 5.