Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~ Mighty Eyes ~

It's actually "Mitey Eyes", :laugh: look at this:

Follicular inflammation produces edema and results in easier epilation of the eyelashes. It also affects cilia construction, and lashes are observed to be more brittle in the presence of demodicosis. Madarosis (loss of lashes) is associated with abundant mites, the loss of eyelashes as a result of intercellular edema in the hair shaft, and loss of hair resiliency. Although epithelial hyperplasia associated with follicular plugging is often encountered, dermal changes seldom extend beyond the perifollicular epidermal area. Once believed to be mite excreta, this plugging is now known to be epithelial hyperplasia with interspersed layers of lipid. The formation of a collar of tissue around the base of the lashes is observed clinically. This occurs significantly more often in follicles infected with D folliculorum. The epithelial hyperplasia is hypothesized to be most likely a product of the abrasive action of the mite's claws.

Accumulation of waste material of the follicle mite may occur in affected follicles or sebaceous glands. Electron micrographs of the mite surface and feces show bacterial, viral, and rickettsial elements. Specific reports have revealed that both species pierce epithelial cells and consume cytoplasm. Only D brevis has been observed with channels burrowed to the germinal epithelium in the sebaceous glands.

{I'm still looking for a looking for an electron micrograph to show you all.}

These guys actually poop right onto your eyeball. :laugh:

Click For Spoiler
demo3.jpg

Click For Spoiler
demo4.jpg

Click For Spoiler
demo5.jpg

Click For Spoiler
demodex-1.jpg

I believe the word you're looking for is EEWWW :ooh2:

Edited by fenriz275

AAGGHH!!!! :laugh: I knew I had something in my eye!!!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh: But the thing is how do we get rid of them??? :laugh: Or can we??? :blink: nik, where are you????

Click For Spoiler
sb3616.jpg

Eyelash hairs and skin. Colored scanning electron micrograph (SEM) of eyelash hairs growing from the surface of human skin. The shafts of hair (green) are anchored in their individual hair follicles in the surface of the skin (blue). Hair is made up of a fibrous protein called keratin. The outermost skin layer, the stratum corneum, also consists of keratinized dead cells that detach from the body. The squamous (flattened) cells that make up the stratum corneum arise from the lower, living layers of skin. The tails of eyelash mites (Demodex folliculorum) are seen protruding from the base of several eyelashes. Magnification: x50 at 6x7cm size.

Now I'm itching all over. :laugh:

Well, WAB according to all this, it's normal. I just don't like the "idea". :spock: How'd they get in there in the first place? I mean, where did they come from? Are babies born with them? No, of course not. But when and how do they get there?? :drool:

They get there from just living. Dust Mites come from dust in the air etc. It's impossible to avoid.

EEK.....what..the, cant we invent a spray or something ??? :spock:

250112[/snapback]

I KNOW!!!!! :bow::drool:

No. My dad says you just need to wash it with contact solution. It's not going to kill you

Guess I know what's in my eyes now in the morning when I wake up. :blink: :laugh: "Mighty Poop" :blink: :blink: :ooh4: :sleepy: :tongue_ss:

That's actually funny because the Chinese expression for the crusty stuff in your eyes after your sleep is "eye poop" if you translate it directly..... :blink:

Actually, I'm not sure we would want to get rid of the mites in our eyes. While I'm not a biologist, I do know that the typical human has many, many

of these things living in our lashes (100,000?) in a symbiotic relationship.

We provide food for them in the form of dead epithelial tissue, and they clean out the dead eithelial tissue. Humans have adapted to these creatures, and vice versa. It's just like being bathed in the radiation that pours over and through us every day. We can think of it as a bad thing, but humans continue to exist and improve - perhaps not in spite of it but becuase of it.

Of course, not washing can have bad effects as well, but the normal amount of mites living on and in us is pretty harmless, and maybe helpful.

National Geographic magazine just published a fascinating article on the exact same thing sometime in the past six months or so.

So if one of these little beasties looked like a spider we all could end up being "Web Hosts"?? :dude:

Actually, I'm not sure we would want to get rid of the mites in our eyes.  While I'm not a biologist, I do know that the typical human has many, many

of these things living in our lashes (100,000?) in a symbiotic relationship.

We provide food for them in the form of dead epithelial tissue, and they clean out the dead eithelial tissue.  Humans have adapted to these creatures, and vice versa.  It's just like being bathed in the radiation that pours over and through us every day.  We can think of it as a bad thing, but humans continue to exist and improve - perhaps not in spite of it but becuase of it.

Of course, not washing can have bad effects as well, but the normal amount of mites living on and in us is pretty harmless, and maybe helpful.

National Geographic magazine just published a fascinating article on the exact same thing sometime in the past six months or so.

251653[/snapback]

It's like the normal flora bacteria.

~ Symbiotic Relationships ~

A symbiotic relationship is when two organisms of different species "work together," each benefiting from the relationship. One example of a symbiotic relationship is that of the oxpecker (a kind of bird) and the rhinoceros or zebra. Oxpeckers land on rhinos or zebras and eat ticks and other parasites that live on their skin. The oxpeckers get food and the beasts get pest control. Also, when there is danger, the oxpeckers fly upward and scream a warning, which helps the symbiont (a name for the other partner in a relationship).

Organisms in a symbiotic relationship evolved together. Each was part of the other's environment, so as they adapted to their environment, they "made use of" each other in a way that benefited both.

Here are three other examples of symbiotic relationships:

1. The bee and the flower. Bees fly from flower to flower gathering nectar, which they make into food, benefiting the bees. When they land in a flower, the bees get some pollen on their hairy bodies, and when they land in the next flower, some of the pollen from the first one rubs off, pollinating* the plant. This benefits the plants. In this symbiotic relationship, the bees get to eat, and the flowering plants get to reproduce.

2. The spider crab and the algae. Spider crabs live in shallow areas of the ocean floor, and greenish-brown algae lives on the crabs' backs, making the crabs blend in with their environment, and unnoticeable to predators. The algae gets a good place to live, and the crab gets camouflage.**

3. The bacteria and the human. A certain kind of bacteria lives in the intestines of humans and many other animals. The human can not digest all of the food that it eats. The bacteria eat the food that the human can not digest and partially digest it, allowing the human to finish the job. The bacteria benefit by getting food, and the human benefits by being able to digest the food it eats.

*Pollination is when the pollen from one flower gets into another flower, allowing the plants to reproduce.

** When one of the symbionts lives on or in the other, the one that is lived on or in is sometimes called the host. However, this term is usually used to describe parasitic relationships, rather than symbiotic ones.

3. The bacteria and the human. A certain kind of bacteria lives in the intestines of humans and many other animals. The human can not digest all of the food that it eats. The bacteria eat the food that the human can not digest and partially digest it, allowing the human to finish the job. The bacteria benefit by getting food, and the human benefits by being able to digest the food it eats.

There is also the bacteria that lives on your skin. It is also known as Streptococcus.

parasites2.gifHigh infection rate in the United States is surprising to many, but most of these creatures have always been living within our bodies. When the immune system weakens, they can grow to numbers that cause physical harm.

People poison their bodies with chemicals, drugs, processed and over cooked foods, it starts the process that allows the parasites to take over our inner environment. When they take over, they are in control, whether you know it or not. When we make the wrong choices and do not take preventive measures, they win.

Eye Poop? Yuck wait till my kids hear that they will be running around for a week saying "Ha Ha you have poop in your eye ha ha so do you" I love kids...

Personally, I think "Twinkies" have alot to do with it :laugh: :o Just kidding, I love Twinkies. :laugh:

I think I got alot of that stuff in my eyes this morning. Everytime I blink it makes a noise. :naughty::wow: My eyes are watering. :D

Thanks WAB, I did that, it's much better now. :naughty:

275914[/snapback]

No prob :wow: