Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

10 Dumb moments in scifi cinema

From MSN

There aren't a lot of good reasons to be a science fiction freak.

Sure, the genre gets respect, not to mention box office yield, but the poor innocent fans are still depicted as lifeless, dateless, and wearing Vulcan ears.

But, and we say this with love, sci-fi fans often deserve the reputation. Once people overhear some pale guy with wizard hair explaining how a light saber simply isn't possible, as the exposed plasma from the device would irradiate every living organism with a 5-kilometer radius, what are people supposed to think?  "Sexy?"

Yet, part of being a sci-fi fan is being its harshest critic, and so we can't help ourselves.

Article lists 10 classi faux pas

:) Actually, it'd be fairly easy to explain how the plasma is kept from frying everyone in the vicinity of the light saber (EM Shielding anyone?), but it's how it'd get so much energy and how'd it get the plasma that's the problem. :)

actually I have a friend at school who actually has a plan for a light saber that would work without the need of plasma. I forgot the was how he kept the energy in a continuous loop but I remember something about a resonance pulse and an EM field.

All I can say is that was kind of a weird article. A lot of them were explainable but you have to remember sci-fi is fiction so don't compare with reality.