Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Kirk

Is Star Fleet a Military organization?

I think Star fleet is a military organization and a Exploratory Service. Their primary mission is exploration and discovery but they also have to enforce Federation law. They also have to protect federation citizens and property. And last but not least Star Fleet has a naval ranking structure and they have several heavily armed ships in it's fleet. When there's a war to be fought whether it was with the Romulans, Klingons, Cardassians the Dominion or the Borg Star Fleet was their. It's a Military/Exploratory organization. What do you thinl?

Captain Jean Luc Picard and I had a debate over this topic the other day and the best explination I can come up with is that Starfleet is an evloved form of the Military... As you know from Star Trek: First Contact, people were devistated from the Thrid World War and therefore wanted a change, they were sad and agressive towards themselves and to aliens. Starfleet has military traning, but their primary goal is exploration... "to go where no man has gone before" It just so happens that they encountered aliens that are offensive and slowly but surely Starfleet became offensive as well, but mainly defensive (as seen in DS9); what we learned from the overall status from Starfleet is that they are primarly a service to not just help humanity but to show and express their humanity throughout the entire universe. To set a main example on the elite behavior of mankind.

It is my understanding that Starfleet is like an umbrella organization for a number of branches - medical, science, military, diplomatic corps, etc.

I agree that Starfleet is an umbrella organization. They provide military, scientific, humanitarian, diplomatic, exploratory, medical, and many other services to the Federation.

I think Star Fleet is primarily meant for exploring and making new friends.. Just understanding more about our universe..

Of course you need weapons to defend yourself as you can not expect everyone out there to be friendly..

Spock say’s “I believe Starfleet’s mission has always been one of peace.”

Click for Spoiler:

However, the need for Earth to defend itself (“New Direction”) is going to become obvious in this seasons finale of ENT.

According to The Star Trek Encyclopedia (Updated 1999 version), Starfleet is a:

deep-space exploratory, scientific, diplomatic, and defensive agency of the United Federation of Planets.

Of course this definition doesn't cover Starfleet in Enterprise's time.

as i said in another thread, it is clearly both. primary objective, peacful exploration, sencondary objective, defensive, and offensive tactics when needed to protect earth or any other planet in the upcoming federation of planets. when out in the unkown making first contact, you need to be militarized to be safe from aggresive beings. like the romulans, and the klingons.

Spock say’s “I believe Starfleet’s mission has always been one of peace.” 

Click for Spoiler:

However, the need for Earth to defend itself (“New Direction”) is going to become obvious in this seasons finale of ENT.

Amazing, a trek expert... first exploration then (see the spoiler) makes perferct sense... :innocent: My new trek hero

Starfleet in the 23rd and 24th centuries were obviously a military too. In TOS, it was up to Starfleet to stop Klingon aggression. In TNG, the Enterprise took on several military missions. In DS9, Starfleet fought the Dominion War.

The real question here is, in the 22nd century, is Starfleet a military. I'm going to say no. I belive Starfleet of the 22nd century is a exploration agency that uses military disipline to keep every thing going. Its just Earth hasn't seen a need to deploy a war fleet, since i'm sure they belive the Vulcans would come to there defense.

i think a good analogy would be comparing the federtion to the united nations...while star fleet is the enforcers or peacekeepers of federation law and doctrine, the united nations security council serves a smiliar purpose in todays world. (minus the exploration of new frontiers as it is not applicable)

Starfleet in the 23rd and 24th centuries were obviously a military too. In TOS, it was up to Starfleet to stop Klingon aggression. In TNG, the Enterprise took on several military missions. In DS9, Starfleet fought the Dominion War.

The real question here is, in the 22nd century, is Starfleet a military. I'm going to say no. I belive Starfleet of the 22nd century is a exploration agency that uses military disipline to keep every thing going. Its just Earth hasn't seen a need to deploy a war fleet, since i'm sure they belive the Vulcans would come to there defense.

Starfleet isn't directly military, it's soul purpose is to explore and discover new species across the universe. It just so happens that they encounter hostile spceies. My guess is that Vulcans are not going to help earth anymore due to the number of catorphies that they 'cause' / get into. The Vulcans are very cautious of the developments that Starfleet explore in space. Number one: Starfleet created heavly disputes between the Andorians and Vulcans. Although Starfleet didn't directly cause the conflicts, they were heavily involved due to Vulcans being on their side. Number two: When the thellosians (typo) encountered Enterprsie, they first attacked the Vulcan ship to seek aid. It was just a stroke of luck that the Sulibian encountered the Thellosians and fought back with them instead of the two enemies teaming up against Starfleet and the soon to be Federation. Federation handles with space exploration also has a branch by itself that handels in defensive and offensive strageties. Federation cannot be called a military because there is no reason why they want to seek conquest, they just want to defend what they already establish and help other species defend their territory as well.

but it still has militaristic qualities, and when needed uses militaristic tactics. if looks like it, acts like, smells like it, then it is.

I agree with the earlier posts stating that due to the coming conflicts with different species in Enterprise (Romulans ect) Star Fleet will evolve into a more militaristic organization. You can't be friends with every species no matter how hard you try.

:cool: Yes i do think that starfleet is a military organization. especially enterprise cos the attitude seems like that :cool:

Starfleet is both exploratory and military. You can be a military but not conquer nations.

Starfleet in the 24th century had to stop a lot of its exploration missions to fight the war with the Dominion, but like I said before, the question should be about Starfleet in the 22nd century.

I don't believe its a military. I think they found exploration would be easier with some structure. Yes they are trained to fight, but thats because they will be by themselves. The coming events in the season finale will make them more militaristic.

As a side note, Starfleet in the 24th century has to be a military too, considering Starfleet has regulations handling troop deployment on the front lines. Three months, then your suppose to be pulled out.