Sign in to follow this  
Red Shirt Volunteer

Motorcycles

I'm considering getting a license for a bike and was wondering if anyone with experience has any advice for a first timer? I haven't decided whether I'll even go for the license or not yet (it costs a fair chunk of money in Japan) - just at the information gathering stage now. It'll depend on a couple of factors. One reason I'm thinking of it is that a bike is way cheaper than a car. The other is that it seems like more fun and individualistic. I'm still a long way from going for it yet, but thanks for any help.

I have one

A Honda Shadow...Learn first on a cheap bike like a Honda..then go for your dream one..or Find a school that lets you use thier bikes for learning

Yeah, there are tonnes of schools where I live and you have to go to get the license. The test must be taken at a registered school and they basically screw you over a few times if you don't take their lessons, so I might as well learn how to do it right. They supply bikes of different sizes (mainly based on the engine) and you have to practice on the size that you're going to take the test for. If you want to ride a 400cc bike, you have to practice on one, not a 250cc (or else you have to take the test again).

I'm not planning on buying anything big if I do go for it in the end, just a 250 or 400 cc bike. One of the reasons I started thinking about getting one was when I saw this one (the web page is in Japanese so I'm not sure it'll display the characters on your screen properly or not):

Yamaha Drag Star Classic 400

Drag Star Customization Page

I might go for the smaller 250cc model. I don't need or want a bike with a big engine since it'll pretty much make no difference as I'll be riding in the city for the most part. If I get the smaller one, it'll cost me about US$4000 while the 400 classic'll be probably around US$5500-6000.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

cool bike. i love bikes, and i love yamaha's. i had an fj 1100 i miss it terribly, but will wind up getting a new one sometime in the hopefully not so distant future. i wanna get a buell. but bikes are so fun, and just such an incredible feel.