Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

How Personal Is Too Personal?

Alot of times I'll read a post and think to myself, "That's way too personal for me." I mean, where is the line? When someone goes into so much detail about something that probably would be better discussed with maybe, a Counselor?? I know we do help each other alot in here, afterall, we are like family :lol: But we might say the absolutely WRONG thing and make things worse for the person.

Well...Umm...Errr...Sometimes....Ya Se....Thing That.....At The Right....But If We....Like...What Kinda....

That's All I Got To Say About That.

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

One big mistake a lot people do here, is ask for serious advice from this message board. Although I'm sure there are people here who are qualified for giving advice in that nature but the truth is that people here don't know your RL stituation good enough to give you appropiate advice. If people do that is even more of a problem, it's dangerous enough meeting people in RL and giving them a lot of your personal information, and then when you add the dangerous cloak we have on the internet its danger mulitplies.

For all everyone knows on this site I am some 80 year old pervert praying on vulnerable girls on this site, or some 8 year old who shouldn't even be on this site. There are so many uncertainties, so you should all be careful.

I rarely talk too deeply about personal things here, but I do tend to drop little hints. I do not it on purpose; it is just I habit. And of course, those of you here who I am closer to I sometimes PM, or you PM me. (Come to think of it, I usually wait for others to PM me, then respond). I know that it is sometimes dangerous, except if I know you in person ::coughT'Soncough:: but I relly do like and trust a lot of you, especially the people I see more and talk to more.

If I feel something someone has post here is too personal and I don't feel comfortable to comment then I may read and just say nothing. If I post something in my journal and it's personal comments are welcome but it's okay if no one says anything. We all have different outlooks on life and sometimes its takes someone not so close to a problem to be able to see it better and provide guidance but in those cases I see a counselor and the Bishop at church.

Your Bishop? Does he help? I went to my pastor once with a problem and well, hmm, didn't turn out too well. I left his church after that. I do have a friend who is a nun, but I am very limited as to the things I can discuss with her. Anyone else have 'nuns' as friends? Or are there any nuns in here now?

Actually Jeanway I would be more inclined to see my Therapist about problems of a personal nature. My Bishop is a nice man but that's just it, he's a man and they just can't understand some of our more complex female personal problems. If it's a spiritual problem then he's the one I see.

Oh on your other question about Nuns and such, I had a Aunt that was a Catholic Nun many years ago but she left the order a few years before I was born.

Jeanway, I'm sure you know how I feel about this already..This is a message board and if you have personal problems to discuss they shouldn't be on the open board..That's risky isn't it ? How do you know who is reading sensitive things about you ? Talking to someone in real life is much better..Or at least in PM and IM..Yeah, I know I'm in the minority here but I can't consider people on a message board family..I have to meet in person to be close to a person..Sorry if this opinion offends anybody..

i think to each her own - i mean, i've seen things that i'm flabbergasted over, but i also remeber a time in my life when STF were all the friends i had - it's a function of our individualistic society that we sometimes have no one to turn to...

there've been complaints about a popular advice columnist up here (CAN) in NOW magazine, that he's too frank and uneducated - i myself have always found lay people to be much better at advice, and sent off an e-mail to his detractors telling them NOT TO READ IT if they don't like it...

think of it this way, as well - the person asking for advice already thinks you're good enough to give it - if the 'you're' happens to be a message board, so be it...

that being said, i'd really have to draw the line at personal stories about poop... :theforce: