Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VaBeachGuy

My Travel Photo Album

Since I just got a new digital camera I thought I'd open a photo album to upload the pictures that I take whenever I go someplace for anyone interested in seeing them.

Since my most recent journey took me to Maryland (Through Washington DC) I'll begin with the photos of this past week's trip.

This first picture is about 2 minutes from home and was taken the morning of June 14th on my way to Maryland:

Click For Spoiler

The Exit to Richmond:

Click For Spoiler

This is on the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel:

Click For Spoiler

Entering the Tunnel itself:

Click For Spoiler

Nearing Williamsburg Va:

Click For Spoiler

Fredericksburg, Virginia in the distance as seen from I-95:

Click For Spoiler

Crossing the Potomac River across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge from Virginia to Maryland:

Click For Spoiler

After about 2 minutes in Maryland I drove into Washington DC, off in the distance you can see the Capitol Building:

Click For Spoiler

Want to see the White House? Take the West exit:

Click For Spoiler

This is the neighborhood I grew up in, turn left to go to my old house:

Click For Spoiler

This is the hill that leads up to my old house, this hill was great fun in the snow!

Click For Spoiler

This is the house I grew up in and lived in for 19 years until I joined the Army:

Click For Spoiler

About 1 mile from my home is the College Park Airport, the Wright Brothers founded this airport and trained the U.S. Army how to fly here. It's also there that I had my first airplane ride and a couple of helicopter rides. After 9/11 this airport was closed by the Federal Govt because of how close it is to the White House (Less then 5 miles). The public out cry forced them to re-open it though. It is the worlds oldest operating Airport ( College Park Airport ):

Click For Spoiler

This is the Elementary school that my father attended in the 1940's:

Click For Spoiler

This is my grandparents house, built in 1929 and is the reason for my trip. We are renovating it and preparing it for rent:

Click For Spoiler

The Metro (Washington's Subway) just built a College Park station about 5 or 6 years ago, the station is about 25 to 50 yards away from my grandparents door:

Click For Spoiler

On the way home I went through the Monitor-Merrimack Bridge Tunnel. It is named after the famous Civil War battle of the worlds first Ironclads the USS Monitor (the Grandfather of modern Naval vessels) and the CSS Virginia (Formerly the USS Merrimack). The battle was fought to a standstill with both sides claiming victory. It is somewhere in these waters that the battle took place:

Click For Spoiler

Well, that's my trip summed up in a few pictures. I intend on going back in about a week and hope to come back with many great pictures of Washington DC.

The photo of the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel was giving me flash backs. :roflmao: I was station at Naval Station Norfolk for almost 5 years.

Good lord there's trees and grass everywhere! :roflmao: I'm used to open desert, that's incredible. Awesome pictures! That's really cool to see where you grew up. :roflmao:

Good lord there's trees and grass everywhere! :roflmao: I'm used to open desert, that's incredible. Awesome pictures! That's really cool to see where you grew up.  :roflmao:

lol Yeah, there's trees and grass everywhere. Too much grass at times, at least in the areas I have to cut... lol.

I only posted a few of the 200+ pictures I took though. Some didn't turn out and some were just of buildings around the area so I could email them to my father to show him how much the area has changed in the past 14 years. That house is the house he grew up in back in the 30's, 40's and 50's.

Something funny happened and I want to share it before I forget. While I was up there my oldest brother brought his kids over to visit. His daughter brought her son with her and this was only the second time he's ever seen me. The first time was when he was about 6 months old so you can't even really count that. Now he's a year and a half old, walking (running) and talking up a storm.

When he got into the house and saw my brother he ran over and hugged his granddad. Then he turned around to look around the room and saw me sitting in the chair and ran over and hugged me. Keep in mind that this is essentially the first time he's ever seen me. Then he turned around very confused and looked at my brother again and said "Two Granddads!"

It was really funny to see. This picture isn't of that but it shows him and my brother.

105.JPG

Good lord there's trees and grass everywhere! :laugh: I'm used to open desert, that's incredible. Awesome pictures! That's really cool to see where you grew up.  :bow:

Lol :o You haven't seen the suburbs....I'll have to post some pics of my neighborhood. I live less than 5 miles from D.C., less than 3 miles from the Pentagon.

There is so much green....It's near impossiable to find a place to put plants that require sun :o

Awesome pics VBG :o

Good lord there's trees and grass everywhere! :laugh: I'm used to open desert, that's incredible. Awesome pictures! That's really cool to see where you grew up.  :bow:

Lol :o You haven't seen the suburbs....I'll have to post some pics of my neighborhood. I live less than 5 miles from D.C., less than 3 miles from the Pentagon.

There is so much green....It's near impossiable to find a place to put plants that require sun :o

You might know where those pics were taken. Most of them are in College Park and Riverdale. The Metro station in the pictures is the College Park station in fact.

Good lord there's trees and grass everywhere! :bow: I'm used to open desert, that's incredible. Awesome pictures! That's really cool to see where you grew up.  :o

There is so much green....It's near impossiable to find a place to put plants that require sun :laugh:

Awesome pics VBG :)

You might know where those pics were taken. Most of them are in College Park and Riverdale. The Metro station in the pictures is the College Park station in fact.

I don't think that I've actually been to those stops, but I'm right near the orange line (I think) a ten minute walk from my house :)

A lot of the pic you put up are actually normal sightings for me, like the capital and stuff. The Washington Momument is actually the one I see the most. :o

Good lord there's trees and grass everywhere! :laugh: I'm used to open desert, that's incredible. Awesome pictures! That's really cool to see where you grew up.  :o

There is so much green....It's near impossiable to find a place to put plants that require sun :bow:

I don't think that I've actually been to those stops, but I'm right near the orange line (I think) a ten minute walk from my house :)

A lot of the pic you put up are actually normal sightings for me, like the capital and stuff. The Washington Momument is actually the one I see the most. :)

I remember when the Orange line was first opened. I think it was 1978, they were giving free rides from New Carrollton to Minnesota Ave and back. Me and my friends got on in New Carrollton and rode for hours just because it was a free train ride. At 9 years old we really thought we were going someplace lol. I grew up about 10 minutes away from the New Carrollton station.

Fascinating Pics. I've been on that bridge. It was on the anual school trip to Washington. Commodore Harry Kim went on the same trip.

Fascinating Pics. I've been on that bridge. It was on the anual school trip to Washington. Commodore Harry Kim went on the same trip.

Which bridge, there's 3 posted?

Which bridge, there's 3 posted?

the Woodrow Wilson Bridge

Woops, forgot to put the name...

:theking: