Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Phaser Orientation...

Has anyone considered this? on an Intepid or Soveriegn class starship, the phasers run parallel to the edge of the saucer. have you ever considered you could mount MORE phaser arrays by running them perpendicular? say, one end near the bridge, the other end at the edge of the saucer? you could put more phaser arrays on there, and still get a pretty good fire field out of all of them.

ell it's how you design the hull too...

You can't have a phaser strip be on top of a window

there's also the power out put,

There's a lot of stuff...

Ok, now I get it now...

why don't you have both?

that would be nice....

Maybe because Starfleet isn't about a lot of phaser arrays since it's not a military organization. They want to make good impressions when they make first contact with other vessels and they can be a little bit flighty if a ship bristling with weapons is coming toward them.

Plus, phaser arrays need time to charge back up. Remember in Nemesis that most of their phaser energy was gone. But that was also because they were firing blind most of the time. As long as you have good coverage, more phaser arrays are overkill.

Maybe because Starfleet isn't about a lot of phaser arrays since it's not a military organization.  They want to make good impressions when they make first contact with other vessels and they can be a little bit flighty if a ship bristling with weapons is coming toward them.

Plus, phaser arrays need time to charge back up.  Remember in Nemesis that most of their phaser energy was gone.  But that was also because they were firing blind most of the time.  As long as you have good coverage, more phaser arrays are overkill.

I should think, though, that Starfleet would commission a percentage of their fleet as dedicated warships. to asume starfleet doesn't NEED warships is to forget lessons learned against the Borg and the Dominion. so, if Starfleet has 2,000 ships, if 10% are warships, and the rest "Normal" starships, you have 200 ships readily deployable with some serious firepower that are more than capable of deealing with threats such as the Borg, or the Cardassians or the Romulans.

Edit: Good coverage is no excuse for not packing enough firepower to do the Job. to be very blunt, the Enterprise E didn't have the firepower needed to face the Scimitar. as I understand it, each set of phasers has it's own power generator system, and draws only about 15% of it's power from the EPS system. so, adding an extra phaser array on the ship would have allowed Captain Picard to alternate arrays, much like Battleships used to do in bombardment. one turret would fire until shells are expended, then the next turret would fire.

Edited by Lieutenant JG Jim Phaserman

WHAT I NEVER COULD UNDERSTAND IS THE GALAXY CLASS phasers ...WHY CIRCLE THE SAUCER SECTION FROM TWO POINTS OF origan THEN COME TOGETHER B4 FIRING AS ONE? i THINK THE ANSWER IS "ARTISTIC LICENSE"