Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

It Is The Soldier..

This being Memorial day in the US, I thought this poem was appropriate.

t Is The Soldier not the reporter,

who has given US Freedom of the press

It Is The Soldier not the poet,

who has given US Freedom of speech

It Is The Soldier not the campus organizer, 

who has given US the Freedom to demonstrate

It Is The Soldier not the lawyer, 

who has given US the right to a fair trial

It is the soldier, who saluted the Flag,

who serves beneath the Flag

and whose coffin is draped by the Flag,

who allows the protester to burn the Flag

Now, many will argue that the soldier did NOT do such things, but without the sacrifices of the men of the Continental Army, the United States of America WOULD NOT exist. and were it not for the sacrifices of their descendants, it would not have continued to exist for more than 200 years.

Nice poem Jim.

So few words that hold so much truth.

Lol. that was brilliant VBG!!! And this portion of that poem is very true, if it weren't for soldiers the declaration and bill of rights more then likely would've become dust before the 19th/20th century. :laugh:

With it being Memorial day I would like to add my thanks to all of those that are currently or have served on our Armed forces. I freely recognize that we owe our freedom and quite possibly our lives to the tremendous sacrifices that they have freely made in order to defend us and our freedoms. And let us not forget those that have given the ultimate sacrifice, their lives, to ensure that all of us and our posterity will enjoy these liberties. I feel that it is an honor for someone to serve in our military and that those of us that are unable to recieve that honor should show the proper respect for those that do serve.

I totally agree with the sentiments with both posts.

Even though I am English i was brought up to respect what these brave honourable men and women do so tirelessly.

My grandfather was a demolitions expert in the second world war my grandfather managed to survive til the penultimate day of world war 1 whereby he was shot in the back at la place de la concorde in Paris France.

These guys don't just give up their freedoms, they give up a possible future. And do so selflessly.

To the servicemen of the allies past present and future. I take my hat of to you.

Edited because I said hate instead of hat. Jeez I am a dolt with zero sleepies.

Edited by Unadopted Angelic