Sign in to follow this  
JackBarclay

Chief O`brien

Can somebody please tell me.

whats with the ranks of Chief O`Brien.

I saw him as Luitenant, Ensign and chief(DS9).

In the beginning of TNG he is a luitenant in seson 6 he ensign and in DS 9 he`s chief.

I don`t get it.

Please help

I've found this old thread where this was talked about..Seems like he was never a Lt..In the later TNG years I'm sure they called him 'Chief' just like they did on DS9..I don't recall him being referred to Lt. or Ensign in any of the early years..Unless I just don't remember..In any event..Check out the following link..

Miles O'Brien

Yeah, he was never an officer he was always a Cheif but they (TPTB) never came up with any kind of Enlisted Rank Insignia until late in DS9. If you go back to TNG and re-watch some of the episodes where someone speaks to him you will see they call him Cheif, one episode that I can point you to specifically is "Family" where Worf's human mother and father visit the Enterprise. Worf's father talks to O'Brien and tells him that he too was a Cheif.

There's also an episode of DS9, I forget which, where he speaks of his father wanting him to be something like a musician or something but he (miles) just walked down to Starfleet and enlisted without telling anyone.

Somewhere in these threads there's a pic of his enlisted rank insignia from the episode "The Ship".

I was never a big Colm Meany fan until I saw him in a couple of Irish Movies. They were very good. 'The War Zone' and ' Snapper '.