Sign in to follow this  
WEAREBORG4102

Ship Takeovers

How does the enemy take over the ship if they can't read the controls???

for example, the KAzon Take over the ship.....

How can they pilot, fire weapons, etc.???

that is a good question. presumably, the infiltration team can read the lettering on the other ship's controls. a real world example would be: I want to board an Iraqi ship and take it over, but I can't read Arabic. so I bring at least one person who can read Arabic, and they tell me what everything does. Also, there's alot of commonalities among ships. everyone knows what a sensor screen looks like, and what a tactical station might look like. you probably also know what a helm station might look like.

Edited by Lieutenant JG Jim Phaserman

Ok, thanks for the clarification...

But still Voyager in the Delta quadrant.....

People can take over???

Starfleet vessel controls are able to be customized to suit the individual. I guess like modifying your desktop.

It might have been that the Kazon were able to change the words into their language.

Starfleet vessel controls are able to be customized to suit the individual.  I guess like modifying your desktop.

It might have been that the Kazon were able to change the words into their language.

You would think the computer would have recognised that a majority of the "crew" were non-Federation races and shut itself down.

It's still a fairly ridiculous concept that people without training in the specifics of a piece of technology can use it even if they can speak the language. At the very least they should lack efficiency and skill when they do take over.

Maybe they just push buttons and hope for the best, like in Star Trek III when Sulu, Chekov, and Scotty were trying to find the intermixer on the Klingon bird of prey.

Wouldn't internal sensors shut the computer off??

When Paris was taken by the Kazon, he couldn't understand their technology, why do the kazon understand?

It all depends on the story; if being able to understand alien ship controls serves the plot then, TADAA, and vice-versa if not understanding the controls are what the plot calls for then they struggle with it.

Really though how hard could it be to interpret alien controls? Who needs to be re-taught how to drive a car when they trade in their American made car for an import? Even if it is difficult, after a few minutes of trial and error you'll be on your way...

But trial and error at a tactical station can be a very ugly thing...

The thing is that a car has universal symbols according to the Geneva convention....

Star ships don't.....

When in a pinch for an explanation see rule #1:

It all depends on the story; if being able to understand alien ship controls serves the plot then, TADAA, and vice-versa if not understanding the controls are what the plot calls for then they struggle with it.

:waaaa:

AE has a god point. it's not weather or not Tom Paris KNOWS how to fly the Kazon cruiser, it's weather or not the writer WANTS him to.

How does the enemy take over the ship if they can't read the controls???

for example, the KAzon Take over the ship.....

How can they pilot, fire weapons, etc.???

They had Chakotay's shuttle for a while, so they might of been able to learn. Also, I don't remember the Kazon firing weapons in Basics. Also, in DS9 they used a Cardassian SPACESTATION, the Kazon took over Voyager which is a STARSHIP so the Kazon could just improvise could improvise. Also, the Ferengi took over the Enterprise D which was the most sophistacated starship of the time, and when Riker got the command functions back up, they improvised. IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE IMPROVISE!!!!!!!

Edited by borgdrone222

If you watch the episode they do fire weapons in the second one as it is a two parter...

The talaxians help take it down....

when Tuvok pressed random buttons at the tactical station in I think an episode where he lost his memory, he almost launched a photon torpedo...