Sign in to follow this  
BlueCrystal

Have You Ever Thought Of Changing Careers

Well now that I'm officially jobless I have been thinking about my options. I could, of course, finish college and get my teaching degree. (I think I would rather commit myself to a mental hospital than do that.) I like kids but I don't think I would be able to keep my sanity if I had to teach in school all day.

I thought about becoming and accountant years ago as I am very fond of math. I was once tested by my previous employer and my math skills we considered off the scale.

I also am thinking of doing something that is very different from the life I know here. My husband is a truck driver and though he is home nearly everyday there are times like last week that he's taken on a consignment that's taken away from home for several days. I'm thinking of becoming a trucker too. I need only to sign up in school and get my CDL. I think we could become team drivers and perhaps go from coast to coast. I think it could be fun, I probably would actually get to see my folks more and we could choose the consignment we wanted.

So have you ever thought of just throwing caution to the wind and going out and reaching for another path that is far different than you ever thought you would do or try?

the thought has crossed my mind. I have the certs that if I felt so inclined, I could leave the Military and become a History teacher. I've thought about it, but never seriously.

I thought about becoming and accountant years ago as I am very fond of math.  I was once tested by my previous employer and my math skills we considered off the scale.

Accountants mostly use spreadsheets and specialized software now. Very little math involved other than inputing a formula into a spteadsheet.

I too have thought of getting my teaching certificate - even to the point of taking some courses. I actually have the credits to teach middle school science - I just need a couple more education classes - however the bureacracy of the school system and the lack of discipline keep scaring me off. That and the sad fact that so many of your students can't read so you really wouldn't be able to teach much science.

The people I know that enjoy their jobs the most are postal carriers - one rural - one city. They're pretty much alone all day - don't have to answer the phone.

I enjoy my job, for the most part. as anyone in my career will attest to, it's no fun shooting at someone or being shot at. However, nothing really compares to cruising over the warm south pacific at 20 knots, on a clear sunny day. also, on a nice night, going up to the O-3 or O-4 level and just staring at the stars. you think a starry sky looks nice from just outside the city? You should see it 1,000 miles from the nearest city.

- however the bureacracy of the school system and the lack of discipline keep scaring me off.  That and the sad fact that so many of your students can't read so you really wouldn't be able to teach much science.

Many of our best math ed students become disillusioned by these very things, and we see them back at school, retraining in computer science. They have incredible horror stories in only two to three years of work!

If I were going to throw caution to the wind, I would try my hand at writing fiction. But I need my health insurance.

LOL. I have written fanfic for the FK (Forever Knight) series and it's posted on another website. I would eventually end up writing while doing the over the road ventures. My husband put that I would need a laptop on the top of the list should I become a team trucker with him. I've always written and my one English teacher in college would ask permission to copy my work and keep it. I got very good grades in my college English classes.

I've been told I'm able to do anything I set my mind on. Nothing has stopped me so far barring the fact that my body wouldn't go along with my mindset of becoming pregnant that was a blessing from God had I had been able to have children many other plans and hopes may not be an option for me.

Thanks Captain Jean-Luc Picard, in my last job I worked in Botany mainly dealing with Rosa species and Dracaena Sanderana. I dearly loved my Dracaena Sanderana and asked that I could continue to work on it during my own time. The head of the department is arranging with her upper boss to have me continue my work with it, but she has to bypass her direct boss as he was the reason for my leaving.