Sign in to follow this  
master_q

El Paso

El Paso I-10 “no longer on a fast track”

To be dedicated to Gene Roddenberry

AUSTIN -- The naming of the El Paso portion of I-10 for "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry is no longer on a fast track.

Legislation by Rep. Pat Haggerty, R-El Paso, to honor the El Paso native sailed through the House Border and International Affairs Committee and only lack of a quorum prevented a vote to place it on the local and consent calendar.

No one opposed the idea when Haggerty presented the bill before the committee. But news of the effort kicked up some opposition the following day in El Paso.

"It's no longer a slam dunk," says Border Chairwoman Norma Chávez, D-El Paso. "It's created a lot of interest, but some opposition is starting to hit from El Paso."

The El Paso City Council is scheduled to discuss it Tuesday.

Some opponents wonder what Roddenberry has done for El Paso to justify renaming a freeway. Henry Garcia of Clint referred to Roddenberry as "anti-Christian" in e-mails to local and state officials.

"I don't know what kind of staffs you folks in the legislature have, but I can tell you that if this gets passed, it will create the biggest stir since Chagra had the judge killed," Garcia said in his correspondence. "I strongly suggest that you pull that bill from the state legislature or be the laughingstock of the nation."

El Paso City Rep. Larry Medina says he agrees with Garcia and others who oppose the idea.

Though Roddenberry was born in El Paso, he "never did give a second thought to our great city," Medina says.

Roddenberry was born in El Paso 81 years ago at 1907 E. Yandell but spent most of his childhood in Los Angeles.

Supporters of naming El Paso's I-10 for Roddenberry created a Web site: www.grmhpetition.org/

El Pasoan Terri Donawell created the Web site last year. She's not bothered by debate over the issue because it's part of democracy, she says.

"We all can have our say in this country, as well as our views. It is not up to me to judge or wonder about anybody's motivation for or against," she says. "I think it is a good way to tribute El Paso's most famous native son -- others have the same tribute in this city that did not even come from here. And if the tribute also brings in tourism, that's great."

Legislators are smart enough "to sift through what is real and what isn't. My only real concern is that we might run out of time," says Donawell, a legal assistant and longtime El Pasoan.

She and other Trekkies contend that Roddenberry was not anti-Christian and that his religious beliefs shouldn't matter. Haggerty says the flap doesn't surprise him because any effort to name something for someone usually draws both support and opposition.

Gary Scharrer may be reached at gscharrer@elpasotimes.com

~El Paso Times

http://www.borderlandnews.com/stories/bord...20-103415.shtml

What do you think?

Do you think they should name it after him?

Do you think the town will actually name it after him or not do it?

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I am very interested in El Paso I-10 and its future because of recent news. Of course I am a fan of the show “Star Trek” with its spin off’s “The Next Generation”, “Deep Space Nine”, “Voyager”, and so on. (I bet you did not know that :wow: just joking) Of course this might make me more biased and I can understand why someone might think this. However I am here as a citizen to be and present what I believe is the best thing to do and what I think will be best for that city.

Someone might say “What has he [Gene Roddenberry] done for El Paso?” and I must respond taking a kind of logic and using that kind of logic is not completely objective. I say this because you have to think about what the best interest for your town is. I believe if you name it after him, then fans of “Star Trek” would want to come to the town for activities like a convention. This will generate money and as you are well aware everywhere in the U.S. we have a budget & economy problem. I can’t say that it will bust up there budget a large amount or sum, but I can say that in the long run it would only help El Paso and not hurt it in anyway. But what about the question? I think it can be changed to "What can he do for El Paso? because I think in the long run it will only help El Paso and not hurt it.

There is yet again another logic that we can address the question “What has he [Gene Roddenberry] done for El Paso?” In fact and it can be argued that he has done many things for the human race by trying to present and give people hope for a better future. In his philosophical ideas and principles he thought that the human race could expand and become better. Of course we may be a long ways from that, but I do believe that one day (even if it is the distance future) that we might in fact approach something to the nature that Gene Roddenberry wanted. This was a man whose ashes went up into the heavens. He has affected our culture and because he was born in El Paso does mean something. Why not honor such a great man. This was a man who has fought in over 89 missions in World War two! THIS is a man who has received a Civil Aeronautics commendation!

It also seems that some people are mislabeling him. I think that if someone wants to believe that his idea was “anti-Christian” is far from the truth. That’s like saying because it was never addressed in the show let’s call him that. I guess I could give you examples and analogies . . . to parallels in other shows, but that’s just showing that someone does not know the facts. What happens IF the show projected Middle Eastern ideas? Or something else? Would we be prejudice? Is this what we are coming down to? This is America! I thought people came here to get away and believe in there OWN faith. However, even though I am going on about this issue he himself was not really “anti-Christian” nor did (or is) “Star Trek” reflected{/ing} an “anti-Christian” view. Yes, maybe “Star Trek” never really addressed the issue, but this is a TV show and people always seem to forget that simple fact. BUT this TV show is not just some regular show it is hard to meet someone who has not heard of the famous “Klingons” a popular race in “Star Trek”. This show has brought people together and never was trying to divide with something to the nature as religion.

I guess that I could go on and on, but the question of “should we do this” in my mind is a question that we all should know and agree to. And that answer is YES.

NOT because it will make a fan happy, but help bringing people into El Paso bring in new funds to the city

But what does everyone think about this and do you think that El Paso will dedicate I-10 to Gene?

note: Sorry after I read it over some of what I said should have been stated better, but I don’t have time to clean it up (so forgive me there)

Master Q

I think that this project would only benefit the city. As was stated earlier, it would bring new revenue to El Paso, and how can that be bad for a city?

More Updates

What looked to be one of the easier pieces of legislation to pass through the Texas government may have hit a tremendous road block.

One legislator's plan to rename a portion of Interstate 10 near El Paso after the late Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry (original story) is now being stalled in the Texas legislature after some people protested on the grounds that Roddenberry was "anti-Christian" and didn't care about the town he was born in.

Republican legislator Pat Haggerty first introduced the measure earlier this month, and watched as it sailed through the House Border and International Affairs Committee, according to the El Paso Times. It only was a lack of quorum that prevented the vote from taking it's place on the local and consent calendar that would've eventually moved it to the floor.

When Haggerty first presented the idea to some national fanfare, no one opposed the idea. However, as news started to pick up, some residents of El Paso began to protest.

"It's no longer a slam dunk," said Norma Chavez, the Democratic chairwoman of the Border Committee. "It's created a lot of interest, but some opposition is starting to his from El Paso."

Even the El Paso City Council is getting involved in the issue, putting it on its agenda for Tuesday. One councilmember already expressed opposition to the idea. Larry Medina said that while Roddenberry was born in El Paso, "he never did give a second thought to our great city."

According to the El Paso Times, some opponents said they are not sure what Roddenberry has done for El Paso to justify renaming a freeway. Henry Garcia of Clint, Texas, referred to Roddenberry as "anti-Christian" in e-mails to local and state officials.

"I don't know what kind of staffs you folks in the legislature have, but I can tell you that if this gets passed, it will create the biggest stir since Chagra had the judge killed," Garcia said. "I strongly suggest that you pull the bill from the state legislature or be the laughingstock of the nation."

Roddenberry was born in El Paso 81 years ago, however, he grew up in Los Angeles.

Fans aren't giving up on the effort to rename the highway. El Paso resident Terri Donawell has opened a Web site for the effort at www.grmhpetition.org. She told the El Paso Times that she isn't too concerned about the debate because it's part of democracy.

"We all can have our say in this country, as well as our views," Donawell said. "It is not up to me to judge or wonder about anybody's motivation for or against. I think it is a good way to tribute El Paso's most famous native son -- others have the same tribune in this city that did not even come from here. And if the tribute also brings in tourism, that's great."

Eugene W. Roddenberry, son of the late creator that Haggerty wants to name I-10 after, told SyFy Portal that he can agree a lot with what dissenters have said about his father's contribution to El Paso, but that claims he was "anti-Christian" are inaccurate.

"The whole idea of Star Trek was to embrace all ideas, something that he preached religiously (on the show)," the younger Roddenberry said, who currently operates Roddenberry.com. "I don't want to take anything away from any other El Pasoan. My father had an idea that was universal, and promoted infinite diversities in infinite combinations. He didn't exclude any race, culture, or creed. My father would shake hands with a Christian, a Mohawk Indian, or even an Iraqi citizen without a moment's hesitation."

Roddenberry said that he supports the renaming of that portion of the interstate, not only because of personal bias, but also because he said he's a believer in the Star Trek philosophy.

"The show dealt with religion, but it never promoted religion," he said. "I think it promoted individual thought and universal acceptance.

"There are plenty of other El Pasoans that have done many great things. But here we're simply putting a name on that highway that symbolizes universal ideas."

--http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=943

Master Q

I’m going to get off my computer, but before I do I got an e-mail from one of the council members of El Paso and in the response (I sent them all e-mails) he gave me at the end he said

May the force be with you . . . .”

LOL

Does this council know what they are actually voting for or what?

Should not they know just a little bit about the man and what he did? (Star Trek not Star Wars)

Well they probably know that it is “Star Trek”, but really . . . they should at least know that very popular phrase is from “Star Wars”. . . . (you know what you mean)

No big deal, but I when I was looking at my screen I was thinking “is this person trying to insult me” . . . well I think not, but it was funny

Master Q

Despite son's support, 'Trek' bill likely to fail

Gary Scharrer

El Paso Times

Gary Scharrer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eugene Roddenberry wrote Texas legislators a few days ago, encouraging them to name the portion of I-10 running through El Paso for his father, the creator of "Star Trek" and an El Paso native.

But it appears the effort will fall short this session without a consensus for doing so in El Paso.

HB 949 by Rep. Pat Haggerty, R-El Paso, is likely to stall in the House Border and International Affairs Committee.

"Our objective is simply to offer a name that has for nearly 40 years symbolized an optimistic view of the future and more specifically one that has embodied the unconditional acceptance of diversity," Roddenberry told lawmakers. " 'Star Trek' not only encourages those who watch to accept to embrace difference in humanity. It has stirred optimism and toppled notions of prejudice in millions all over the world."

El Paso's symbiotic relationship with Juárez should make diversity "very observable to the residents of El Paso," Roddenberry said.

"The ability for individuals of unique faiths to work collectively for a common goal is extraordinary. El Paso and its residents clearly exemplify the fundamental idea of 'Star Trek,' " Roddenberry wrote.

Folks from around the country and world supported the idea of naming I-10 the "Gene Roddenberry Memorial Highway." But some El Pasoans raised questions after a hearing before Rep. Norma Chávez's committee. Some wondered what Roddenberry, whose family moved to Los Angeles when he was a young child, had done for El Paso.

"It makes more sense for the community to take the time to discuss the issue and allow the proposal to have as much consensus as possible," Chávez, D-El Paso, says. "Nothing will be 100 percent."

Roddenberry, who died a decade ago, stood for the very diversity that El Paso reflects, Chávez says: "I don't think that El Paso does enough to capture and promote the diversity. We don't really have an identity."

El Pasoan Terri Donawell says she's disappointed that the effort to name El Paso's most traveled highway for Roddenberry will probably fail this session. "But such is the nature of the legislative beast, and I knew that going in," says Donawell, who created a Web site to boost the effort: www.grmhpetition.org

She wants El Paso's elected officials to keep the issue on the front burner "so that the citizens of El Paso will have a chance to become more educated on why this would be a great thing for El Paso."

Sen. Eliot Shapleigh, D-El Paso, calls himself a "Star Trek" fan but would not have pushed Haggerty's plan in the Senate without resolutions by the El Paso City Council and County Commissioners Court.

"The great thing about Haggerty's bill is that it causes us to debate our identity," Shapleigh says. "Who are we, how do we see ourselves, how do we want others to see us?"

-- http://www.borderlandnews.com/stories/bord...27-106215.shtml

What do you think about this?

Master Q

Just a few weeks ago, this country was at war with Iraq. During all this time, gas prices were up. The stock market was stuttering. A man was charged with murdering his wife and unborn baby. A newly-discovered disease was threatening Asia. North Korea declared it not only had a nuclear program, but nuclear weapons as well. New cases of AIDS were on the rise, especially in young men and heterosexual women.

Yet, if any of those issues had residents in El Paso, Texas fired up, you couldn't hear it outside of that city located near the Mexico border. Instead, what was heard loud and clear, was that one man -- who has been dead for nearly 12 years -- was a horrible man. He hated Jesus. He never did anything for El Paso. He probably never would've ever found El Paso on the map, despite being born there.

They were talking about Gene Roddenberry, the late creator of Star Trek -- a man most people consider the father of modern science-fiction. It was because of Gene's ideas that science-fiction, at a space-travelling entity, was able to make the transition from big-budget motion pictures in the 1960s to smaller-budget hour-long dramas. (Yeah, yeah, "Lost In Space" came first, but it is widely believed that CBS figured out how to produce it low-budget after a lengthy meeting with Roddenberry when he was still trying to pitch "Star Trek.")

All Texas legislators wanted to do was honor the man -- an El Paso native -- by naming a portion of a cross-country interstate after him. It's not like it would no longer be named Interstate 10 ... that's how it would appear on all the maps. But El Paso, which is probably at the bottom of most people's lists for tourist attractions, had an opportunity to really make a bold statement, and to find out exactly what a simple name on a road could do for their economy.

It looks like plans to rename the road are dead. The El Paso Times has reported that it is unlikely the measure is going to pass because the El Paso City Council refused to endorse the idea, or any other idea for that matter. Members of the council apparently were not happy with the belief that Roddenberry was anti-Christian (which is untrue), and never made a direct contribution back to his birth city (which probably is true). And apparently, they could care less about Star Trek, too.

Gene Roddenberry was not a perfect man. I mean, seriously, who is? There really are some fans out there, who if you tell them something true about Gene Roddenberry that's negative, they will blast you. But even Roddenberry's son, Eugene W. Roddenberry, will tell you that his father was very flawed -- but you know what? It's the fact that people are flawed that help us love them more, because they are more like us. And I have no doubt in my mind how much Rod loves his father.

Rod was not a quiet bystander during the debate in El Paso. He was very active. He was in regular contact with me, asking about the latest on the effort, and he wanted to make his voice heard. Last week, Rod sent a letter to the Texas legislature and senate, asking that they seriously consider moving forward with the renaming of that portion of I-10.

"I'd like to assure not only the members of the house committee, but also those opposed to this proposal that our intention is not to 'take away' from the local residents who have benefited the El Pasoan community," Roddenberry said in his letter. "Our objective is simply to offer a name that has, for nearly 40 years, symbolized an optimistic view of the future, and more specifically, one that has embodied the unconditional acceptance of diversity. Star Trek not only encourages those who watch to accept, but to embrace, differences in humanity. It has stirred optimism and toppled notions of prejudice in millions all over the world."

Roddenberry's son is not just giving lip service. Anyone who knows anything about Star Trek and about Gene Roddenberry know that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Did Roddenberry give up on religion? According to the biographies on his life, yes. But we're not naming a church after Roddenberry ... we're simply naming a stretch of road that happens to go up and above El Paso.

I live in Tampa, Fla. It's a very diverse city, and we have names after streets and highways. We have Dale Mabry Highway, named after some guy I know nothing about. We have the Lee Roy Selmon Expressway, named after the only Tampa Bay Buccaneer to be inducted into the football hall of fame. We have Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, named after another guy I know nothing about. And the list goes on.

None of those roads develop outside interest in Tampa. They are familiar to those who reside here, and maybe a tourist or two may stumble on the Selmon road, although all the signs still refer to it as the Crosstown Expressway. But then again, being so close to Orlando, and having Busch Gardens Tampa Bay and Ybor City right here, we're not exactly crying for tourists, either. We have plenty of other things that bring out-of-towners here, investing a lot of money into our economy.

I don't see El Paso bringing home any major sports championships in the near future, hosting major games or tournaments, or anything of the like. If the El Paso City Council is fine with that, then great. But if they really want to do something to help bring attention to their city, to create the appearance that it is not some Puritan society that seems to embrace the stereotype that many put on it, why not try to honor its most famous native-born son.

Gene Roddenberry may have done little directly for El Paso while he was alive, but who says he can't do a lot for El Paso after his death? Gene's only son says it best.

"Admittedly, Star Trek was only a television series, and Gene Roddenberry was an entertainer and not a political leader. However, he was a creative spirit who not only dreamed, but also gave a look at a better future.

"The Roddenberry family did not bring Bill 949 to the forefront. The individuals who believe in the bill's significance, as well as the human potential, are the ones responsible. No matter whether Texas House Bill 949 succeeds or fails, I am proud beyond explanation of those who brought it forward."

--http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=957

SyFy Portal

What do you think about this issue & article?

Master Q

Sign in to follow this