Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Do You Listen To The Radio?

Do you listen to the radio outside of the car?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you listen to the radio outside of the car?

• Yes-AM Radio
    • Yes-FM Radio
    • Yes-XM Radio
    • Yes-A combination thereof
    • No
    • Radio?What's that?I've been under a rock for the past 90years

Yes-AM Radio, as you can see, I am definitely not "hippin' with it"... and I'm proud to be a geek!!!

Edited by -Harry Kim-

I've known 3.  I've listened to a lot more... obviously.  I'm simply stating that I believe radio is a waste of time and a tool used by the music industry to manipulate people's tastes at the hands of DJs who are only too happy to oblige and play garbage.  Not only am I tired of most of the music sold to the masses via radio and TV, I'm completely exasperated by the fact that you have to listen to the #1 song almost every hour and repeats of the rest of whatever's in vogue for weeks on end.  I'm not stating that every radio station does this, but many do and DJs are part of it all - so I really can't be bothered to listening to them rant about the latest, greatest thing.

I'm talking about DJs moreso as people who play music, not individuals, although I did reference the 3 I've known so I can see how some of you may have thought it was more of a personal comment.  If other people like radio, that's fine - I don't care one bit.  I'm not talking about individuals, but the typical radio personality.  I can't stand listening to their rambling, pointless commentary or their playlists.  Listening to the radio is one of the least productive things I can think of doing.

Also, I'm not missing out on getting to know great people.  I know a lot of great people, and I've managed to get to know them by cutting out those unlikely to be worth knowing early on.  The 3 I knew all had one thing in common that I can't stand:  They talked too much BS and enjoyed hearing themselves talking more than actually communicating with people.  How many more do I need to suffer before I can write them off?  (Obviously this last paragraph is on a personal level).

Man, I never said DJ's were good people. Many are completely different off-air. The whole and complete reason I listen to the stations I do is that the DJ's are off the wall. Most of them could get fired cuz they dont stick to the format, but thats why they are popular. As for playing the #1 song every hour....right now, the number one song on the Country charts.....I think its local, is Mayberry. I think they play it...twice a day. Maybe three times. And I listen from 8am until....2pm, then again for about an hour at night. So, they probably play it in those times I'm not listening, but I doubt its a great lot. Even on the rock stations I listen to. One, I listen purely for the DJ's. They're awesome. The other, for the music. Their DJ's are horrid, but they play more early 90's stuff.

DJ's don't "manipulate people's tastes." They play the music to YOUR taste. One of my very faveorites is Bluegrass. But, no station around here plays it. I didn't start liking rock because the DJ's told me to. I started likeing because I listened to it. I heard its message. The DJ's play the music, and provide entertainment. And heck yeah, its their personality. Thats the radio business. Its all ACTING. IRL, Im very quiet. Never say much about anything. Until you get me started on music or radio, then I never shut up....obviously.

I just think it's too bad that you've never had that favorite DJ who's show you HATE missing. Everyone should have that. (Of course, I could just be biased.)

My husband got me into it.  He and his first wife went to classes for it back in the late 70's and he became a Tech/ what is now known as a Tech-Plus but she remained a Noviceup until she became a silent key.  My in-laws are into it too, first my mother-in-law and then my father-in-law.  With my husband being a radio/ phone freak it had to happen and he drove me crazy until I agreed to get my license. I won't allow my husband to bug his sons about it, I just figure that if they want to talk to their father they will figure out he's on the radio.

You guys sound like my family. My dad would have loved it if I had joined. My mom tried to get me to take his call signs when I was younger. I just never did have the urge to get into it. Most of my family has quit now, because the clubs nearbye have either broken up for lack of members, or the members are so much disliked that everyone leaves. I hate to see Ham Radio die out, as its always been a part of my life, I just know I'm not meant to carry it on. (As cheesy as that sounds) Anyways, kudos for your work, and good luck.

FM for the most part...usually tuned into one of two country stations, one 80's channel, one smooth jazz, one easy listening station, one college radio that mainly broadcasts classical & jazz , one 50's, 60's, 70's station ( :P the two in bold are my favorites to listen to), a hometown station that plays 80's to 2000's music(only stop to listen if a song I like comes on...and on that station it is few and far between), another hometown station but only when they play classical, jazz or world music. I like a lot of different music...and when the commercials come on, it is so easy to change the channel.

Oh and yeah, though it is tough to get on my radio since the signal is not that strong...between Thanksgiving and Christmas day, there is a channel that goes from playing rock music...to playing Christmas music 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. And I tune in every once and awhile, that is, when I am not listening to the collection of tunes that I have on CD.

AM - I listen to one mainly when my alma mater is playing a football game(since my brother and sister played in the marching band, and I personally like football...and the last couple of years the varsity squad was kicking some butt, undefeated last year :unsure: . My brother graduates in about a week, but I may still tune in from time to time if I feel like catching a football game). I also listen to a station when there was a scheduled space shuttle launch, since they broadcast the countdown, info on the current mission as well as the launch...so I would often listen as I watched.

Similar to the shuttle launch...the 50's-70's station I mentioned earlier, they are the ones who do a live broadcast of all Jacksonville Jaguars football games..so I tune in for that as well. Sometimes, I mute the TV and listen to the game via the radio while watching the TV ( sometimes the radio has better coverage of the game, and then of course you can catch some of what goes on while tv commercials are going on)

Also, I would sometimes listen to some music that was broadcasted on AOL Radio.

THis is pretty much the same whether or not I am in the car..though I have a ton of CD's of various types of music that I am constantly listening to...that is, when I am not choosing to hear the peaceful sound of silence.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

DJ's are not all bad. I will have to admit some are full of themselves but non DJ's are like that too. I work for a small market station and I think it is a lot better than a large market one as yes a lot are owned by the same company. I do listen to other stations and the ones that are not owned by the big companys are useing it to their advantage by saying they are local and I think that is great. these big company stations is whats making radio bad. Somedays I am just glad to have a job.

You know RSV, if you listen to a classical or oldie's station you don't have the problem with running promo's. When I lived in Tallhassee there was a "DJ" on the classical station that was a joy to listen to. He was also a musician but I never actually got to hear him play. That station also ran a program about music that was very instructional about music history.

Now I listen mainly to an oldies (50,60,70) station and the morning DJ's are my favorites. They have a daily segment called "Knuckleheads in the News" which is hysterical. I can't seem to find a classical station because public radio has gone to "talk" which is so booorrrriinnng.

Now I listen mainly to an oldies (50,60,70) station and the morning DJ's are my favorites. They have a daily segment called "Knuckleheads in the News" which is hysterical.  I can't seem to find a classical station because public radio has gone to "talk" which is so booorrrriinnng.

Yeah, "Knuckleheads in the News" is quite funny(not sure if it is the same one, but it sounds very familiar..I listen to it on the 50's 60's 70's station I listen to as well). Though many times I miss it, it comes on at 8:30am and I am often listening to either another station, a CD or someplace where the radio is not tuned to that station(like a store, for example).

Edited by Yillara_Soong