Sign in to follow this  
gdog243

Duet

I was watching this episode today, and I am always amazed how much it improves with subsequent viewings. I remember when I thought the episode was just Ok the first time I saw it, but it has turned out to be one of the best episodes of the series. Duet is such a cool, yet tragic episode and the more I see it the more appreciation I have for it. The chemistry between Visitor and Yulin (Guy who played Marritza) was great, and the themes probably makes this episode a timeless classic. I knew DS9 was going to be unique when Marritza laid one of the best quotes of the series on us, "What you call genocide, I call a day's work." I also love it because of it's ties with what Opaka told Kira in "Battle Lines." Kira is on a Journey of self discovery after killing all her life and the pain she has over the atrocities of the occupation. The final scene was just brillent because it showed Kira taking a step towards self-recovery. The ending is such a haunting and tragic scene that it in itself made the episode a classic.

Also, it proves one thing. It takes three seasons for a trek series to get good...BS.

I loved this episode. I found it very moving that he was willing to give his life for crimes that he did not commit, due to the guilt that he felt for the actions of his own people. I found it to be a great episode that goes dealt very will with issues that were occuring at the time in our own century.

An awesome episode for sure. It was certainly challenging for Kira to come to the realization of what was really going on. And I agree with gdog243..What made the whole episode in my opinion was the ending..I wonder how long his death affected her..

I also love this episode - for the first time, I think, Kira saw Cardassians not as a piece - she started focusing on individuals. Her doggedness for answers didn't stop, even when she had doubts about the prisoner. In that sense, she reminded me of Odo, and his quest for justice, whether or not it follows the rules. For me, it was the first time Kira showed real growth.

Wow - maybe I'll watch it later. :force:

That's one of the things that made DS9 the best of all the Trek series. The way they developed each character, and followed their progression thtoughout the full 7 seasons. They did this even with a character that was only going to exist for one season, Ezri.

There at least a few other episodes that follow her journey, specifically 2 come to mind. Season 3's "Second Skin" which is where Kire is a Cardassian and the follow up of that story from season 5's "Ties of Blood and Water ". I think that "Ties of Blood and Water" is really where she completes her journey. Her relationship with Legate Ghemor is remarkable if you go back to season 1 and compare her character to how she is here in this episode.