Sign in to follow this  
livlonganprospe

The Columbia

I'm was happy to here the reference to the Columbia in E2 and that it was still under constrution, it leeds me to belive that they might introduce it into next the season of ENT. :laugh:

It would also honor the crew of the space shuttle Columbia. :P

Yes, I thought it was grand that they made a reference in to the Space Shuttle Columbia.... :laugh:

But the Columbia NX-02 is still being constructed as livlonganprospe says.... Making an appearance in the last episode of the 2nd season: The Expanse.....

Btw, does anyone remember which episode of Star Trek: Enterprise they did a little "This was dedicated to..." (or something like that) to the Columbia crew?

I remember they did the same for the Challenger crew in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home..lastresort.jpg42.gif

I don't know off hand but I have been busy putting all of my Star Trek tapes I've made onto my new dvd recorder [ a lot of work ] and I'm going to start on ENT. I will let you know when I find it, this may take a while so someone else might tell you sooner.

I, too, was thrilled with the reference to the Spaceshuttle Columbia.

The Columbia tradegy occured on Sunday, Feb. 2, 2003. The next ep, "Stigma", aired Wednesday, Feb 5th. My guess is that the dedication was on this ep or on the following ep, "Cease Fire", Feb 12th. I'm almost positive the dedication appeared at the beginning of "Stigma". Hopefully this will narrow it down for you.

A side note of 2nds if you will:

* Spaceshuttle Columbia was the second shuttle built of the NASA shuttle fleet.

(Yes, I know Spaceshuttle Enterprise was only a prototype and suborbital, and that Columbia was the first actual orbiter, but it was still the second ship built.)

* Spaceshuttle Columbia was the second shuttle destroyed with all hands on board during flight. (Both Columbia and Challenger had a crew compliment of 7)

* Spaceshuttle Columbia was destroyed on the second day of the second month of the year.

* Columbia NX-02 is the second Starfleet NX class vessel under construction. In "The Expanse" Adm. Forrest stated that the NX-02 was 14 months away from completion.

I think the NX-03 should be the Challenger. It probably will be based on the pattern thus far. The first space shuttle was Enterprise and the first NX class is the Enterprise. The Second shuttle was Columbia and the second NX class is Columbia. Since I assume Challenger was the third shuttle (please correct me if I'm mistaken) the third NX class will likely be Challenger. Excelsior is a good pick. I could also see Atlantis, Discovery, Endeavour, or perhaps Phoenix.

I agree it was good of them to mention the NX-02, Starfleet needs to build a few more ships if they are going to fight the Romulans in a few years..

I think the NX-03 should be called the Yorktown, the name has been used so many times in Star Trek. Either that, or call it one of the names of the Constitution ships, like Lexington or Constellation.

Hmm, Maybe Hornet? or Freedom (for Freedom 7)? or even Eagle (Eagle is the name of the LEM that Neil Armstrong was aboard for the lunar landings)?

* Columbia NX-02 is the second Starfleet NX class vessel under construction. In "The Expanse" Adm. Forrest stated that the NX-02 was 14 months away from completion.

Didn't it take the three months to get to the Expanse as well?

If so that would make it 11 months from the time the first episode this season started.

I think that would be right around the time of the next season, if there is one, since it would also take 3 months for the Enterprise to return.

I think the NX-03 should be the Challenger. It probably will be based on the pattern thus far. The first space shuttle was Enterprise and the first NX class is the Enterprise. The Second shuttle was Columbia and the second NX class is Columbia. Since I assume Challenger was the third shuttle (please correct me if I'm mistaken) the third NX class will likely be Challenger. Excelsior is a good pick. I could also see Atlantis, Discovery, Endeavour, or perhaps Phoenix.

I would like to see one of the NX class ships named after Challenger. If not NX-03, then another one.

Dang it! I am so ticked off that I missed "The Expanse". I was planning to see it before the start of the season, but TPTB didn't re-broadcast the show.

Anyway, I was glad hear about the expansion of Star Fleet, with the Columbia. I think we might see them be ready before Forrest's estimated 14 months, based on the circunstances with the Xindi.

I don't think Excelsior would quite fit, just because it was suppose to be a major revolution in the 23rd century. I can't imagine why the cocky crew we saw in Search for Spock would name their ship after an old NX ship.

Just a question, will the NX-02 be of the exact same design as the NX-01, or is it being designed more like the ships we saw in "Twilight".

i don't think there is time to build a nx-03, "enterprise" class starship/ construction must begin on the U.S.S. Daedalus, Archon, Essex, Horizon. My reasoning on this is the 14 original "Constitution" class Mk-IX starships were authorized to be constructed under the "articles of Federation" in 2161 and were the first "federation" starships...the Daedalus class starships were pre-federation earth starships and had to be constructed or finished/in service before 2161!

I agree with head borg...

we should head away from the nx-class......

we should get over to the daedalus and federation ships...

My thoughts were that the "X" in NX-01 was for "experimental". If such is the case once you build another isnt it no longer considered an experiment. Should the title be changed?

My thoughts were that the "X" in NX-01 was for "experimental". If such is the case once you build another isnt it no longer considered an experiment. Should the title be changed?

Interesting point, Sairnath.

I think they should start using the NX after a couple of ships, unless all of them are of an experimental design...

I'd also like to see more of the Daedalus-classes as we move more towards the Romulan/Earth War....lastresort.jpg42.gif

The Adventures of STF.net

actually, the Enterprise is a NX-class starship, the NX only refers to the registry number like NX-2000 to NCC-2000

actually, the Enterprise is a NX-class starship, the NX only refers to the registry number like NX-2000 to NCC-2000

Yeah but thats What I'm saying. The Excelsior in its testing phase was NX-2000 . Once launched and more of the class were built it changed to NCC-2000. If the Columbia is the second in the line of the same class as Enterprise, tradition holds that both Enterprise and Columbia be of NCC designations henceforth. The NX title is only used during initial testing runs.

Interesting point, Sairnath.

I think they should start using the NX after a couple of ships, unless all of them are of an experimental design...

I'd also like to see more of the Daedalus-classes as we move more towards the Romulan/Earth War....lastresort.jpg42.gif

The Adventures of STF.net

yes, the Nx-01 should be re-regestered ncc-01 - making the "nx class" the first "enterprise class" starships, and I've thought of a new idea of how to give Earth a hand in the Romulan Wars- why not show the Daedalus class ships already exist! The Enterprise "nx" warp-5 program(and the show) are using a modified Akira class model turned upside down(there's no up/or down in space- so it's the same)for enterprise(which is 200 years ahead of it's time/ U can't have a starfleet-without ships! Why not show Earth franticically trying to modifie the "old" Daedalus class starships to accept the new warp-5 "Archer" engine, but because of the spherical designed main hull- and the fact that the Daedalus wasn't designed originally for warp-5/ the writers can claim that as the reason the spherical hulls of the Daedalus lost favor and most starship designs since have been sausers. Trip/ t''pol could run their own "computer simulations" and try to warn starfleet- that the old ships will be ripped apart if they try to get up to warp-5, so "enterprise-nx" class ships will still be faster, more advanced ships than the "old" war horses!(the Daedalus class)-what do u think?

Edited by headborg