Sign in to follow this  
Guest -*chunderfish*-

Ponn Farr

Guest -*chunderfish*-

Just musing aloud here. I think it was Stewie who pointed out that in The Search for Spock, Saavik said that Ponn Farr was something that Vulcan males went through every seventh year of their adult lives. Fair enough. I suppose to be fair this doesn't exclude the possiblity that Vulcan females go through something - just that it isn't called Ponn Farr.

So the writers are already off as far as T'Pol is concerned.

So what intiates the beginning of the cycle? Clearly not sexual contact or her bonk with Trip would have done so and, with the psychic bond that mating initiates, he would have been stuck with her! (Close one Trip!). I watched an episode of Voyager recently (the one where George Takei guests) where Tuvak made a comment that suggested it was merely 'grown' into. (He entered his ponn farr, had to leave what he was doing and take a mate). T'Pol herself made the comment when she seemed to starting hers that it was too early so perhaps this is the case.

Now the ponn farr IS the Vulcans sex drive - this isn't an emotional thing that they can decide to supress or not - once every seven years it's there, the rest of the time it isn't. So why the sexual shower dream - that had nothing to do with losing control of emotions - it was expressing a drive that isn't there yet.

I'll be very interested to see where they take this next - I've always loved the Vulcans as a culture and have felt very strongly that the creators of T'Pol have done a terrible job in maintaining what has been handed down to them by the previous series. It's the one and only thing I dislike about the show.

I wasn't that crazy about the shower scene myself and I though they could have left that scene out, but I think that it was just an attempt to show the kind of effect that taking the trillium had on her. I causes Vulcans to have emotional drives that they normally would not have if they weren't under the drug and sex is an emotional drive.

I know books aren't considered "canon", but I read a book that was based in the TOS era (I can't remember the title-old age will do that to ya!) that stated that only bonded Vulcan females experience Pon Farr, and that the trigger is their bondmate entering Ponn Farr. Remember, alot of Vulcan couples were bonded at the age of 7 at the request of their families.

I always thought pon'farr was for both sexes..

I think it's every 7 years for males starting at around 22 or so...

In (The Cloud Minders?) anyway the episode about Zenite and the city in the clouds. Spock said all Vulcans experience Ponn Farr. As for T'Pol - writers have been more concerned with excuses to have her run around in her underwear than with meaningful plot and character development.

In (The Cloud Minders?) anyway the episode about Zenite and the city in the clouds.  Spock said all Vulcans experience Ponn Farr.  As for T'Pol - writers have been more concerned with excuses to have her run around in her underwear than with meaningful plot and character development.

that is true...

She's run around two decks with underwear seducing people....

Unconventional behavior for a first officer....

Imagine Riker...

Imagine Spock...

Imagine Chakotay...

That is wrong!!!!

:lol:

I think that she has a very bad ddiction for emotions for a Vulcan....

You have seen that Spock and Tuvok have almost complete control of her emotions and shun them....

On the other hand, t'pol is attracted to them, established in the last two episodes...

You have seen that Spock and Tuvok have almost complete control of her emotions and shun them....

On the other hand, t'pol is attracted to them, established in the last two episodes...

Well I enjoy the fact that we are seeing a different character behind the Vulcan wall of emotions.