Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

PROTON ENERGY CELLS...........

I don't know too much, but I can say what I know. "Proton energy cells" is a term sometimes used in place of fuel cells. These are essentially batteries in which the anion (negative charge carriers) are electrons that

provide the potential to make them work. Diatomic hydrogen is "catalyzed" (split) (usually on a platinum surface) while oxygen on the opposite side of a "proton conducting membrane" reacts with the hydrogen. The net result per reaction is

about 3*10^-19 Coulombs of charge and a water molecule - not a tremendously bad

waste product. I believe fuel cells are used on the space shuttle, but I might be wrong. Typical energy efficiencies for fuel cell driven automobiles are about 24 percent. For gasoline vehicles, this is about 20 percent, and is about 70 percent for battery powered cars. Fuel cells are clean, producing almost only warm water as the waste product. They typically run on pressurized hydrogen (and sometimes pressurized oxygen), a safety consideration becuase of the volatile nature of hydrogen, flammability of oxygen, and high pressures. (However, these safety issues are usually very easy to address.)

Fuel cells are becoming practical for use in cars, and in in a few cases, fuel cells as large as several hundred kW have been used. These are about the size of a van, but produce the electricity of a small power plant - enough to power a small village. Fuel cell technology is definitely worth pursuing as a viable power source on planet earth.

Yes, they could and they do. It's usually very hot or a vapor, but under most conditions, it's pretty clean.