Sign in to follow this  
SolarWind

How Would You Cure HOSHI of Transporter Phobia

Hoshi was terrified to be transported to the surface. And was terrified to be transported back to the ship. So much so she imagined her molecules weren't reassembled correctly. Remember? What cured her? Anything? I remembered this episode very vividly. I thought the special effects were, well, special. :laugh:

Tell her that if she drank the recommended amount of fluids she'd be safe? I seem to recall someone on TNG mentioning that the transporters can dehydrate you to some extent.

She needs a working knowledge on the transporter. For short period of time she should be an operator. Once she comfortable around the transporter the fear will go away, hopefully.

Hoshi was terrified to be transported to the surface. And was terrified to be transported back to the ship.  So much so she imagined her molecules weren't reassembled correctly.  Remember? What cured her? Anything? I remembered this episode very vividly. I thought the special effects were, well, special. :laugh:

Actually, the episode was from season 2 - "Vanishing Point". In her "hallucination", for lack of a better word, she had to get over her fear of transporters in order to save the Enterprise from aliens planting bombs inside the ship. When she made herself follow the aliens into the transporter, she came out of the "real" transporter, only to learn that it was all in her head over the coarse of a few seconds. Wild, huh? :wacko:

I used to have a phobia (now it's just a strong fear) of sharks. The way that I got over it was getting more familar with them, like looking at pictures of them and learning about them. After a while I was able to apperciate them as the beautiful animals they are. I bet if Hoshi learned more about the transporter it ould help her too. People tend to have a strong fear of the unknown. Once you learn more about what you're afraid of, you get more comfortable with it. At least I did.

It's not only Hoshi who is afraid of the transporters, who wouldn't be afraid of being taken apart into molecules?? They just need some time, eventually they'll get used to it..