Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Deaths - Data v Enterprise

Who else thought the distruction of the USS Enterprise in ST3 was more dramatic than when Data died. When that ship blew up and James Horner's score began to play, I almost cried (the only time I have ever done that from watching a film!!) :D

Being as though i have only seen it on TV. iguess it didn't hit me so hard. but data's death didn't do justice to the character, and you know he'll be back with B4, when spock died at the end of ST:II, now that's a tear jerker, and you didn't know if he'd be back

KILLING DATA WAS EVIL!!!!!

lol i HAD no idea that he was gonna jump out of the enterprise.. and then him blowing up.. wow i like was soo close to crying but i went to see it with 2 males and as soon as he blew up they BOTH looked at me and laughed cuz i was tearing up.. so i held it back.. :'(

and deanna running to Rikers Arms.. awwwwwwwww

-Laur :D

KILLING DATA WAS EVIL!!!!!

I AGREE!!! Data was the best! I was soooooooo mad! i didnt think the death of the enterprise was that sad. i thought the death of spock was though. i almost cried there.

but as for b4, i think that might be really stupid. i thought that star trek III was really stupid in the way that spock was reborn. this wouldnt be as bad but id still think it was corny

It's Sci-Fi, anything can happen. His body may be found floating... or just his head. B4 may short out needing a new head and poof... just add Data's head and he's back. Simplistic ways of them bringing him back, yes but it can be done.

But I too did not like them killing Data off after so many years of character development.

really??? ugh. my hopes for another tng movie have just lowered. no i never knew that. just like it was leonard nimoy's idea to kill off spock, eh?

hey!!!! they should have reactivated b4 and sent HIM to his death. he is waaaay less important and useful then data. they could have spared themselves the grief.

Yeah, killing Data was sad. So was killing Spock. As for the end of 1701 with no A,B,C or D, I did not feel anything.

Everyone saying killing Data was evil, you do know it was Brent Spiners idea, right?

:D

Yeah i do know it was brents i dea and he helped to write it.. but i also heard that in STM he said that if they made another Next Gen Movie he would gladly do it :D

I LUV DATA!!!

-Laur

I also had no emotions when any enterprise blew up.. since i knew they would just make another one..

and when they run out of the alphabet then they can always switch from NCC-1701 to NCC-1702

heheh then the Enterprises can just keep on living..

-Laur :D

We will have to wait almost two years to see what happens. I read that Brent Spiner did not want to play Data anymore.

Yeah, while they can always make more enterprises, they can't make another Data. Data was interesting and a great character. The enterprise - while somewhat important - is just a ship. And, yes, I did hate the way Data died.

Yeah, while they can always make more enterprises, they can't make another Data.  Data was interesting and a great character.  The enterprise - while somewhat important - is just a ship.  And, yes, I did hate the way Data died.

I have to say that I love the movie NCC-1701 and I think that none of the other ships (even 1701-a) are as good. While I can here you say that 1701 and 1701-A are really the same, I know that but to me it makes no difference becuase the first enterprise had the history of the series behind it and over the three movie story arc we really feel that we have been on an experence with it. That and it did not look like we were really on the Enterprise D with the same sets. And the model was just beautiful - much better looking that my girlfriend (but don't tell her. :D ).

My heart sunk when the Enterprise blew up. I also cried when Data died. And I cry everytime I watch Spock die! It's possible that I'm just a little bit over emotional. I would like to add however for those of you who didn't like Data's death that the more times I watch it the better I think it is. If Data had to go than I can't think of many better ways to do it. I loved Data and everything is there to bring him back with B4 if they really want to, but I kind of hope they don't. I'm glade Spock came back but I don't think they should try it twice.

We will have to wait almost two years to see what happens. I read that Brent Spiner did not want to play Data anymore.

:) In STM he said that if they were to make another Next Gen movie he would Gladly do it.. PLUS they kept B4 they have to use him at some point!!

-Laur :)

:blink: In STM he said that if they were to make another Next Gen movie he would Gladly do it.. PLUS they kept B4 they have to use him at some point!!

-Laur :dude:

I wish I could remember the link that said he did not want to do Data again. Maybe he changed his mind or the link was passing bad info. I do not remember any quotes. Anyhow, I guess we will find out what happens eventually.

:blink: In STM he said that if they were to make another Next Gen movie he would Gladly do it.. PLUS they kept B4 they have to use him at some point!!

-Laur :dude:

I wish I could remember the link that said he did not want to do Data again. Maybe he changed his mind or the link was passing bad info. I do not remember any quotes. Anyhow, I guess we will find out what happens eventually.

I don't think he has ever said he didn't want to play Data. He did say many times that he wasn't sure how long he would be able to play Data since Brent ages and Data didn't (although there was a mention of an ageing program in Inheritance). I have seen many interviews that he did around the time Nemesis was released where he said if there was another TNG movie he didn't know whether he would be playing Data or B4 not if he would.

Have you seen the special features profile from the season 6 TNG DVDs. He talks about how great it has been to play Data and all of the different things he was able to do in the series.

Yes soong_girl you are correct. I don't think I have read anything that said that makes me think that Brent didn't want to portray Data anymore. Matter of fact, in one of the last issues of Star Trek Magazine. . . the quote at the beginning of Brent's interview was "What makes you think that Data is dead?" or something along those lines, plus at the end he makes a remark about possibly coming back as B4 OR as Data.

As for the remark about Brent being the one to write about Data's death. . .he may have said that he was getting to old to portray him, but that the death scene was not decided by him. I believe that it was John Logan who actually came up with and wrote that scene.

As for what I thought of the whole scenario? Well you can see why I liked Nemesis but abhored the ending. And yes, I left the theather in hysterical tears! I don't care who saw me! My little brother actually suggested that we not drive home quite yet, I guess he didn't want to ride in a car with a severely upset driver. It WAS a nearly fourty mile drive for us to see the movie! Since our stupid hometown theaters were not showing it(one theater was actually quite proud of that???!!!)

I inclined to agree that if another TNG movie is made, they'd be able to bring Data back with relitie ease. Maybe the found his head, or maybe they just upgraded b4.

I was wondering, wh replaced Data as Picards first officer? I would assume that it would have been Geordi. Since Worf isn't part of teh Enterprise crew anymore. I seem to remember at the end of Nemissis Picard saying, tell MR Laforge they we're ready to get underway, he could have ment to inform enginering that they're leaving, but he coul also be talking about his newest frst officer.

C-Hopper, the new first officer was supposed to be seen in the movie, but with all the editing done he ended up on the cutting room floor. His name was Madden, and he did appear in the novelization of the book. Still, I would rather that Data was the First Officer. . . but, then that is me.

C-Hopper, the new first officer was supposed to be seen in the movie, but with all the editing done he ended up on the cutting room floor. His name was Madden, and he did appear in the novelization of the book. Still, I would rather that Data was the First Officer. . . but, then that is me.

Wasn't Madden to Become RIKERS first officer???

~Lauren :blink:

Yeah, while they can always make more enterprises, they can't make another Data.  Data was interesting and a great character.  The enterprise - while somewhat important - is just a ship.  And, yes, I did hate the way Data died.

Yes they can make more Enterprises remember theres only been 6 enterprise's and there are 26 letters in the alphabet.. Plus they could always switch to NCC 1702 hehehe

oh they do not need to 'make' another Data they just need to make the new stupid b4 smart just like data.. hehe..

oh they do not need to 'make' another Data they just need to make the new stupid b4 smart just like data.. hehe..

~Lauren :blink: [/size]

Or they could download the information that Data transfered into B4 into the Enterprise computer (because we know that B4's design in not able to process that data)and then there could be a Data interface or holographic projection, hence Data could look human and Mr Spiner would not have to go through all that makeup, plus it would take account of the problem of the actor aging when the character should not.

Yes they can make more Enterprises remember theres only been 6 enterprise's and there are 26 letters in the alphabet.. Plus they could always switch to NCC 1702 hehehe

They still have Lore's parts around don't they? It seems like between B4 having Data's memorries and Lore having Data's technoledgy they could put together a new Data no problem. On the one hand I think it would be kinda cheesy to bring him back, however if they do I'll of course be happy to see him again!

No he was to be Picard's but since it wasn't in the movie there could be anyone as first officer if there is another TNG movie.

As for Worf, he is a part of the Enterprise crew. In a line edited out of the movie he tells Crusher that he wasn't cut out to be a diplomat. The startrek.com site did confirm this.

I thought the destruction of the Enterprise 1701 packed much more of an emotional punch than the way Data's death was portrayed. The destruction of the 1701 underscored the cost James T Kirk was willing to pay to save his friend Spock-he had risked his career, lost his only son, and now destroyed his beloved Enterprise.

The way Data's death and the crew's reation to it were portrayed in "Nemesis" I felt was sorely lacking. Data says goodbye, saves Picard's life, and the rest of the crew takes about 30 seconds to mourn. What was THAT???

Just my humble opinion folks!

I found the distruction of the Enterprise D quite upsetting (so many memories), but I only actually cried when Data died. I found Spocks death and everything revolving around it to be greatly exaggerated and drawn out. I know Brent said in an interview he thought he was getting to old to play Data, but that doesn;t make me miss and want the character back any less.

No he was to be Picard's but since it wasn't in the movie there could be anyone as first officer if there is another TNG movie.

As for Worf, he is a part of the Enterprise crew. In a line edited out of the movie he tells Crusher that he wasn't cut out to be a diplomat. The startrek.com site did confirm this.

Thanks for agreeing with me, sister. If you have the novelization of the movie, you can see that Madden was to be Picard's First Officer.