Sign in to follow this  
Tal

Farpoint

I was watching TNG's first episode a few days ago and have just realised something which has made me think.

When Riker goes into the holodeck and finds data wesley follows and falls into the river however when they leave the holodeck he is still wet from falling in however the water was holographic so when he left the holodeck the water should of disappeared but didn't.

Anyone have an explanation for this?

:tank: :tomcat: :tank:

:thumbs:

I was watching TNG's first episode a few days ago and have just realised something which has made me think.

When Riker goes into the holodeck and finds data wesley follows and falls into the river however when they leave the holodeck he is still wet from falling in however the water was holographic so when he left the holodeck the water should of disappeared but didn't.

Good question. I would think since Wesley's clothes weren't holograghic when they got wet they would be still wet when he left the holodeck.

Ok but if the water it self was holographic how can it remain outside of a holo emmiter?

<_<

Does the holodeck replicate certain items when it has to, such as food, water,

spittle, dirt, etc.?

I dont now it would be intresting but what would happen to the replicated water when u end the programme it would flood the holodeck.

<_<

The water did exist outside the holodeck so it must have been real water.

Does the holodeck replicate certain items when it has to, such as food, water, spittle, dirt, etc.?

If the holodeck visitor is going to interact or touch something then yes I believe those items are replicated.

The holodeck replicator created the water by combining hydrogen and oxygen atoms, when finished the water molecules would be split apart again into its component atoms and put back into storage.

Hmm, very thought provoking. I would just say it was the first episode so it might have been a screw-up but, of course, I can't be certain.

Off topic comment--Cool Name and Avatar there Tal Shiar, I don't see many Romulan affiliated names, but perhaps I'm not looking hard enough <_<

:tank:  :tomcat:  :tank:

:laugh:

The holodecks incorporate replicator technology. Thus, if you eat a doughnut, get wet, throw a snow ball, or something similar... then it can leave the holodeck. Something like a book or prop would not though. :laugh:

The holodecks incorporate replicator technology.  Thus, if you eat a doughnut, get wet, throw a snow ball, or something similar... then it can leave the holodeck.  Something like a book or prop would not though. :laugh:

Yeah what he said. :laugh: The TNG technical manual explains it. It's a very interesting read if you have the book or can get it at the library.

Since Farpoint was the first show they didn't technobugs in place about the holodeck. This is not the first time something came out of the holodeck that had Wesley connected to it. Remember the snow.

Thanks for the help unfortunatley i can not get my hands on the TNG technical manual but i will keep my eyes open for it.

P.S thanks ussacclaim.

:laugh:

holodeck and replication technology are almost identical so it wouldnt be hard to replicate some elements also remember when wesley throws the snowball or something like that? cant replicators recycle?