Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Is Enterprise Relying Too Heavily On "trek"?

A Klingon based pilot, Andorians, Tribbles, Borg. All very very 'Trek'. I know it's the Star Trek universe etc but do you think Enterprise is relying too heavily on established Trek stuff and has too many ties with the previous series?

A Klingon based pilot, Andorians, Tribbles, Borg. All very very 'Trek'. I know it's the Star Trek universe etc but do you think Enterprise is relying too heavily on established Trek stuff and has too many ties with the previous series?

I can really see your point. To some extent, it is making numerous references to other series. I don't know if that bothers me or if I just find it amusing. With so many ST episodes (of all series) under the belt of the franchise....it makes it extremely difficult to be creative sometimes. Some really hardcore fans will not like this 'dependence' on the other series. Enterprise entertains me (maybe I'm easily entertained). I do see where you are coming from. :D

I think it has a nice familiarity about it with the Klingons, Vulcans etc.. but i understand what you're saying and would like to see some new species that we have never heard of before. Maybe with the story that is due to start at the end of S 2 we may get some .

It needs to maintain a balance. I enjoy seeing references to later Treks but it also needs to build a mythos of it's own. So far I think it is succeeding at doing both.

I can see both sides of the coin with this one... i mean, i wouldn't really have minded which way they go whether it's new species ahoy or old ones, but there is that nice sense of security and familiarity when u see species etc that had been seen in other ST and we all like to be able to understand 'in jokes'. i have heard people moan elsewhere that there is not enough classic Trek in Enterprise... i don't know what the answer is really, i guess just keep going like they are with a balance.

i have to admit i really like the links to the star trek world...i want more even!! id like to see hints of stuff that will appear in TOS more often!

I think it is really cool to see all the species in their early stage, klingons, vulcans and everything.. It is really interesting to compare things with what we know they will become.

i can see your point, but if you think about it, there have been so many shows, with so many aliens through all the series, how can you really have ENTERPRISE find numerous new aliens, and not have them ever show up through all the years, and parts of the universes portrayed in the previous series.

especially since ENT isnt going to be out as far as the new deep space ships, etc in the newer centuries with such advanced technology. so really they have to show us how they started finding the aliens we know, and love, or hate now. i think its neat to see first contact with so many of these aliens. maybe a couple of never before seen aliens can be explained as to how we dont ever see them in all the other series, but not too many.

i can see your point, but if you think about it, there have been so many shows, with so many aliens through all the series, how can you really have ENTERPRISE find numerous new aliens, and not have them ever show up through all the years, and parts of the universes portrayed in the previous series.

especially since ENT isnt going to be out as far as the new deep space ships, etc in the newer centuries with such advanced technology. so really they have to show us how they started finding the aliens we know, and love, or hate now. i think its neat to see first contact with so many of these aliens. maybe a couple of never before seen aliens can be explained as to how we dont ever see them in all the other series, but not too many.

Great post! I agree that it is important to see first contact with many of the species that we have come to know on the other series. I'm curious to see what happens to the Suliban since they are such a big threat now but are not mentioned in any other series. Should be interesting.

I think its great how they are doing it. Simply put we need these refrences because they are basiclly unavoidable I think. It gives us a unique insight as to how relations where back then and how we did on 'first contact.' I kinda get a thrill out of seeing the refrences to the past series and love it when I watch it with a non Trekkie and they go.. "Hun?" I dunno i think those refrences help keep the Star Trek Spirit alive in this series because I think that the StarTrek spirit needs to be developed just as everything else in the series does.

I'm one of those folks that don't want to see a bunch of new aliens on Enterprise,it'll make me wonder what happened to them in the future that we never see them again.I would like to see some more first contacts with aliens we know.They should be meeting the Betazoids soon since their homeworld is in the star system that is near The Andorian and Klingon systems.

I agree with most of the others here. I strongly believe that Enterprise needs to have a balance between new and "tried and true" races. But if they meet to many new species it will raise alot of questions concerning the fate of these species as we do not see them again. We have already got some questions to ask concerning the suliban and there disappearence, since Daniels was from the future and from technology that came after all the other series, so where were the suliban in the other series? So, I think they should keep up the first contact line of plot.

I agree with most of the others here.  I strongly believe that Enterprise needs to have a balance between new and "tried and true" races.  But if they meet to many new species it will raise alot of questions concerning the fate of these species as we do not see them again.  We have already got some questions to ask concerning the suliban and there disappearence, since Daniels was from the future and from technology that came after all the other series, so where were the suliban in the other series?  So, I think they should keep up the first contact line of plot.

Thats a great point. Never thought of that. However we do have to realized that not everything that happend in the past was revealed or discussed in latter episodes.

I agree, and also it is important to remember that history is sometimes inaccurate, so there can be some changes that could be explained by inaccuracies in the historical documentation.

I agree, and also it is important to remember that history is sometimes inaccurate, so there can be some changes that could be explained by inaccuracies in the historical documentation.

Exactly - take Columbus for instance. It hasn't been that long since it was proven that the Vikings landed in North American centuries before Columbus "discovered" it.

Enterprise is good and it is agood thing they aren ot introducing new aliens other wise it would not make sence seeing that we have never seen them before

RRR :wub:

Exactly - take Columbus for instance. It hasn't been that long since it was proven that the Vikings landed in North American centuries before Columbus "discovered" it.

Yes, I know. And history is often written by individuals who have biased opinions who will shift the information to suit their point of view. How many events in history would be protrayed differently if the events had been recorded by someone else. Look at wars. In the US it is written that the War of Independance was a great success and that the American soldiers were heros, wonder how that same event was recorded in England?

Yes, I know. And history is often written by individuals who have biased opinions who will shift the information to suit their point of view. How many events in history would be protrayed differently if the events had been recorded by someone else. Look at wars. In the US it is written that the War of Independance was a great success and that the American soldiers were heros, wonder how that same event was recorded in England?

Exactly. Benedict Arnold isn't a traitor in Britain. I'm Canadian. In our history classes, the War of 1812 is taught a lot differently from the way Americans learn about it.

When I was taking a high school history course we would chat with the teacher before class started. One day he told us that one of the things he wanted to do in his teaching career was to go to the States and teach US history through the eyes of a Canadian.

I think Picard said it best in Contagion - history is written by the victors and they write it in a way to make themselves seem righteous (paraphrase there).

Having said that I look forward to seeing where Enterprise is going regarding new races that we meet that weren't featured in the other series. Whatever happens I'm sure it will be a great ride.