Sign in to follow this  
Abakai2003

Join in the search for Aliens

This is soooooo cool.

now you can join in the search for Aliens.

SETI@home is awesome. you can download a progam that kicks in insted of you're screen saver and conects to a server. your computer is then used to help analise data picked up by one of the giant telascopes.

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

This is actualy part of the SETI project. what it dose is use peoples processing power to help analise data. this is just one way people can take part in SETI. Visit there Site to have a look at what its all about.

This is not spywhere.

I've got it running at the moment It shows you the data you are analising. it is awesome to know that you are part of the search

Edited by Abakai2003

Welp, I'll pass. I don't like the idea of someone using my computer without my permission. This is why I use AOL with Time Warner Cable. I get high speed internet, but can "sign off" at the same time to ensure I don't get hacked when not at the PC. :dude:

oh well I guess it's not for everyone.

but as I'm up to speed with computers and the internet I know I'm not at risk. and I'm just stoked about being part of SETI. and the obviously need the help the data my system is going through at the moment is from november last year so they have a bit of a backlog

I've had it on a desktop computer from the beginning, and it's great. The only problem I had was when I installed it in a laptop. The laptop got so screwed up I had to exchange it for another one. It works fine on my desktop, though. Go figure. :dude:

Well I've only had it on for 45 minutes but I think its great. it is not often you can say you are are part of a project so huge and may be one of the bigest scientific find ever. and just think if its you're computer that get the data that has the "SIGNAL". I mean what would it feel like to be the first to see if. :dude: I'm hooked.

well non of the hord of spyware, trojan, virus detection and removel software says there is a problem. I run my system as a web host so I need to be extra carefull about these things. pluss I cant see why a respected university would want to do such a thing

I know alot of people that are doing it and they love it. Unfortunetly my computer is about 6 years old and can't handle it I tried but it won't completely download.

CJLP, arn't you being a little too paranoid? I did laugh when I read your replys so thanks for that!

CJLP, i've been a member for over 5 years now - over 1,000 units processed...and i have never had one iota of a problem...you are rightfully paranoid, however this time it is unwarranted.

You are welcome to be concerned, except here it is un-warranted. As your friend, i am telling you that this program is completly safe and secure

I've been doing SETI @ home for nearly 3 years now, and Breast Cancer Research for a year, and I have never had a problem. At first I had an old 500mhz machine that took nearly 24 hours of time to work it's way through one unit. Now, I have a 2.8Ghz machine that crunches the numbers in just 6 hours.

I've also signed on to crunch numbers for breast cancer research. I switch them every Sunday morning. One week I crunch numbers for SETI the next for Breast Cancer Research.

Think how cool it would be if your computer was the one that the spark of actually listening to another world started from! Or yours was the one where the cure for cancer started!

I've had it on my computer for months. Maybe it will find nothing but then again maybe a signal or sign is out there. If God made us, He's made others.

That is awesome. :naughty: If it is truley from SETI I don't think you would have to worry too much about viruses or hacking. SETI has to fight to stay alive I don't think they would scar their name with something as petty as a virus or identity theft. :nono2:

That is awesome. :) If it is truley from SETI I don't think you would have to worry too much about viruses or hacking. SETI has to fight to stay alive I don't think they would scar their name with something as petty as a virus or identity theft.  :)

264897[/snapback]

Yeah, but what if a third party hacked into the system? It would do major damage.

That is awesome. :) If it is truley from SETI I don't think you would have to worry too much about viruses or hacking. SETI has to fight to stay alive I don't think they would scar their name with something as petty as a virus or identity theft.   :)

264897[/snapback]

Yeah, but what if a third party hacked into the system? It would do major damage.

265810[/snapback]

I am not current that I am or may not do it. It does should interesting. I know someone or a company in China is trying to hack in my computer system. I am glad that I have very good firewalls.

Edited by Odie