Sign in to follow this  
DrWho42

Space Pilots

Which Star Trek pilot did you like best?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which Star Trek pilot did you like best?

• 'The Cage'
    • 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'

320x240.jpg

Which of the two pilots of Star Trek did you like best?

Personally, I liked 'The Cage' alot, and prefer it over the next episode, when they recast...

320x240.jpglastresort.jpg

Edited by drwho42

I voted "The Cage" for a couple of different reasons. I enjoyed the story better, I found "Where No Man Has Gone Before" a bit disturbing from the standpoint that Gary Mitchell would turn on his fellow crewmembers so quickly. I also enjoyed that the second in command in "The Cage" was Majel Barrett, but the world wasn't ready for that I guess. But, looking back on it, I really can't envision anybody else in the captain's seat besides William Shatner as James Kirk.

Even though I can't imagine anyone in the center seat but Kirk, I voted for The Cage. It was a much better story in my opinion and I like Captain Pike alot..It's just a good thing that Shatner ended up with the role when the series started..Oh one other thing I liked about The Cage was that Majel Barrett had a more prominent role. I've always been a fan of hers and it's too bad that she couldn't have stayed as Number One..I guess 60s TV wasn't ready for that and I suppose then the Spock character wouldn't have grown like he did..

Where No Man Has Gone Before is my all time favourite Trek episode so their was no hesitation for me, although The Cage is a very good episode in it's own right. I have always liked the concept of ESP that makes Gary one of the most eerie and malevolent villains.

93_1.jpg

I voted "The Cage." I have always been intrigued by sci-fi tales where a civilization looses a fundamental skill over time. The Talosians could no longer build things, and needed intelligent slaves which had not lost that ability.

I think I am watching such a phenomenon now. I think I am watching the dramatic decline in real math skills in large segments of American youth, due to incorrect use of calulators. It is very hard to articulate what is missing in the college students we have begun to get, but it is not imagined, and it is not just me who sees it....sorry..I've edged off topic. Bye now....

Edited by mjham

It was a hard decision....

I voted the CAge.....

But where no man has gone before was pretty good....

Every time I see the or hear the words "The Cage" I'm reminded of something Gene R says in the introduction on that video tape: "When the networks saw what you soon will see, they rejected it." Fools. WNMHGB went on to set the precedent for TOS style episodes and I love it dearly but even to this day TC remains to be cutting edge sci fi.

It was not until some time in the eighties, did people finally see The Cage broadcasted. It is a shame that NBC thought it was "too cerebral". It was definately the better pilot. I also like Majel's role as number one better than the silly Nurse Chapel.

I loved the cage, the story was so much more stronger than Where No Man Has Gone Before. Is it just me, or does anyone else think that The Cage may have had a heavy influence on The Matrix?

It was not until some time in the eighties, did people finally see The Cage broadcasted. It is a shame that NBC thought it was "too cerebral". It was definately the better pilot. I also like Majel's role as number one better than the silly Nurse Chapel.

Of course it was too cerebral, didn't you see the Talosians!?!?

Anyway, I have only seen the Cage of the two so I will have to stay undecided.

Just a side note, did anyone notice in the cage that Spock calls Majel "Number 1" too? Since she is the Executive officer, it that legal or should we just forget it because Spock is awesome?

I voted for where no man has gone before but the cage is also in my all time top 5 TOS episodes <_<

I went with the cage myself. I thought it had a great story line. Although, I very much like the way things turned out for the best with Kirk. Just could not see this long road happening without Kirk.

They're both good, but I do prefer The Cage. I agree with AE that it's a classic example of cutting edge sci-fi.