Sign in to follow this  
t'mir

The Lion King

I watched Disney's "The Lion King" the other night for the first time, at the urging of many friends & family members. I liked it okay, but I didn't think it was as great as everyone was telling me. What's so special about it? I wasn't really all that impressed. Thoughts anyone? Maybe I'm just blind to how great it is, or maybe I'm missing something.... I really liked Rafiki, though! He rocks.

:unsure:

Sorry, bysty! I know it's like your fave Disney movie. <_<

I'm not a Lion King fan, either, so I can't answer your question. It was hyped at the time as the first original Disney movie, but had those ad people READ Hamlet? And Shakespeare isn't known for his original plots, either...

Some of the music is infectious, and since I like sentimentalism in movies, a couple of places teared me up. I may watch it again sometime when my nieces get old enough to watch movies, but I'll never rent or own it.

The Lion King is a cool movie but I never understood why everyone in to captivated by it either. It's not my favorite Disney movie. Now The Lion King 1 1/2, that's a good movie. Very funny.

The lion King is not my favorite Disney movie, it was ok :unsure: . I did like Whoopie Goldberg as the voice of the hyena though, she was funny. <_<

Stardate:214235.9

I thought it was a cool movie.I agree with RC thought 1 1/2 was alot better but maybe thats because Timon and Pumba are my favorite characters

I have no idea who Kimba is.  :P

It was a cartoon back in the 60's and 70's. I remember loving it when I was very young. I don't remember a lot about the stories though.

1965_6.jpg

it's different. Simba means lion in swahili. It wasn't a rip off

'

it's different. Simba means lion in swahili. It wasn't a rip off

'

I don't think anyone was suggesting it was a Rip Off, I was only saying that Kimba is what always comes to my mind.

I watched Disney's "The Lion King" the other night for the first time, at the urging of many friends & family members. I liked it okay, but I didn't think it was as great as everyone was telling me. What's so special about it? I wasn't really all that impressed. Thoughts anyone? Maybe I'm just blind to how great it is, or maybe I'm missing something.... I really liked Rafiki, though! He rocks.

:frusty:

Sorry, bysty! I know it's like your fave Disney movie. :picard-sith:

:force:

Lol. Because it has the most emotional and deep story of any Disney movie. Sure they borrowed a lot of elements from Hamlet, but you know what? Hamlet = great storytelling. Just think of this as a reprisal with a much more wide appeal.

This movie is powerful. The main character has a loved one die and has to deal with his feeling of guilt that he caused it.

"You said you'd always be there for me... but you're not... and it's my fault."

The part that gets me everytime is when Simba looks up and Mufasa talks to him in the clouds. "Simba you have forgotten me." "No father, I haven't." "You have forgotten who you are and therefore have forgotten me." And after the clouds disperse "No father! Don't leave me."

And Raffiki is such a wise character. Simba says "But that would mean I would have to face my past" and Rafikki hits him with the stick. Simba asks "what was that for?". Raffiki responds with "It doesn't matter. It's in the past." "Ya but it still hurt." "Ah yes. The past can hurt. But you can either run from it or learn from it."

I think people just see a Disney movie when they see this. I see art. The underlying story is amazing, the visuals are stunning (most notably the large tree Raffiki lives in), the music is kind of childish but the orchestral score by Hans Zimmer is so powerful. This is not just a Disney movie. This is pure storytelling.