Sign in to follow this  
Valeris

French in Time's Arrow

For those of you that speak French, you know that French has a lot of contractions that you have to use in order to speak proper French. Since this is true, why is it so easy for Data to speak French properly in Time's Arrow? Can he use contractions in any language but English? That seems rather illogical. Is it just one of those things the producers forgot about?

Next time I see the epiosde, I can tell you what they said. I just have not seen it in forever so I do not remember. Maybe if you have the script...?

Most people in America who only can speak English only wouldn't know contractions in other lanaguages like French. Before reading these posts I didn't know French had contrations. :clap:

I speak french. I don't recall him using contractions. If my memory serves me correctly he said in the poker bar:

"Alors, nous sommes presque frères. Je suis née à la New Orleons."

Which means: "So we are basically brothers. I was born in New Orleans."

I may be mistaken and will need to watch the episode again. I suspect you may be right though.

Data is perfectly capable of telling lies and has done so on many occasions.

I know they have had the character tell lies, but I'm almost sure that there was an early episode that said he was incapable of lying.

I know they have had the character tell lies, but I'm almost sure that there was an early episode that said he was incapable of lying.

Yeah I remember that! Wasn't it the episode where they found that race

that didn't want to be found and they erased all their memories except

Data's and they had to keeping trying....I think it was called "Clues"

Yeah I remember that! Wasn't it the episode where they found that race

that didn't want to be found and they erased all their memories except

Data's and they had to keeping trying....I think it was called "Clues"

I think he says it in that episode too but Cpt.. Picard orders him to conceal what he knows. What I'm thinking of is from season 1 or 2 though. He may have also said it in the episode where the little boy emulates him.

Actually it was the gambler who said he was from New Orleans. Data said:

"Alors, nous sommes presque frères. Je suis heureux de vous connaitre." Translates to: "Then, we are almost brothers. I am happy to know you."

(And no I didn't know that from memory - I checked the DVD LOL)

The one with the boy who emulated Data was Hero Worship but that was from season 5. When Picard, Data and Troi are talking to the boy in the Ready Room Data says that androids don't or can't lie when they try to get him to tell them what really happened to the ship he had been on.

Actually it was the gambler who said he was from New Orleans. Data said:

"Alors, nous sommes presque frères. Je suis heureux de vous connaitre."  Translates to: "Then, we are almost brothers.  I am happy to know you."

Just for reference sake, the Gambler is in one of our banners:

dukat.jpg

Thanks to all for the translations...I've wonder about that for years.....

I not totally nerdy...I only wondered when I watched that episode...lol :dude:

Thanks to all for the translations...I've wonder about that for years.....

I not totally nerdy...I only wondered when I watched that episode...lol :o

Ditto. :o Though maybe I am totally nerdy... :P

you know that French has a lot of contractions that you have to use in order to speak proper French

well tehn to speak it properly he has to use contractions whereas in eng he does not have to use contractions to get the point across

For those of you that speak French, you know that French has a lot of contractions that you have to use in order to speak proper French. Since this is true, why is it so easy for Data to speak French properly in Time's Arrow? Can he use contractions in any language but English? That seems rather illogical. Is it just one of those things the producers forgot about?

One word:Weird