Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

What Does A New Film Need More?

I think you need a director who will listen to the actors, because at this point, they are the ones who know their own character better than anyone else. Although, at least a little knowledge of Trek would be helpful.

Hard to say - might depend on who the director is. I can recall reading that many in the TNG cast thought having a "non-trek" director for Nemesis brought a fresh approach that was good but there were times when things would have to be explained to him as to why a character couldn't do something.

I know that Jonathan Frakes had a lot of battles with the studio over Insurrection - the only movie he said he would like to do a director's cut version. First Contact was fantastic. I think it would be great to have him at the helm again.

I agree Frakes should be given the big chair again. As far as choosing a director familiar with Trek, I think it's more important that the writer be more familiar than the director cause director’s rarely know much of anything about a new film at the beginning, isn't it all in the writing?

;) Yes, that would be important, Alterego! LOL!! Good point!

I've heard that for Nemesis they were arguing about the characters. John Logan was telling them to do/say things that they felt their characters would never do. It was pretty funny watching the actors talk about this because you could tell they were really annoyed, but they were trying to be polite...

Maybe one of the problems with Nemesis (why it ot such mixed results) is that jon Logan tried to make the characters into what HE imagined they would do or say. Those who agreed with him got a good movie, those who had a different idea got a bad one...I say, the characters should do what THEY would do, not what someone thinks they should do...if that makes sense...

translators, your help is deparately required, lol!

;) Yes, that would be important, Alterego! LOL!! Good point!

I've heard that for Nemesis they were arguing about the characters. John Logan was telling them to do/say things that they felt their characters would never do. It was pretty funny watching the actors talk about this because you could tell they were really annoyed, but they were trying to be polite...

Maybe one of the problems with Nemesis (why it ot such mixed results) is that jon Logan tried to make the characters into what HE imagined they would do or say. Those who agreed with him got a good movie, those who had a different idea got a bad one...I say, the characters should do what THEY would do, not what someone thinks they should do...if that makes sense...

Not John Logan, dsbs. Stuart Baird was the director. John Logan wrote the screenplay and he is a huge Trekkie. In the story meetings they had to come up with the plot it was John Logan who was telling Rick Berman and Brent Spiner that they couldn't do this or that because it would go against canon and he would start naming episodes where this had happened, etc.

I think you make sense; this very same thing is occurring between fans about ENT. Two groups, one, True Trekkers content to let the tptb do their jobs and let the chips fall where they may.

(That’s me by the way, I look forward to reading stories written to correct the mistakes with ENT for the rest of my natural life ;) )

Group Two, ENT is not to their liking because it does not conform to their ideas of what it should be and never resting until they have "saved it."

:D Yes, that would be important, Alterego! LOL!! Good point!

Not John Logan, dsbs. Stuart Baird was the director. John Logan wrote the screenplay and he is a huge Trekkie. In the story meetings they had to come up with the plot it was John Logan who was telling Rick Berman and Brent Spiner that they couldn't do this or that because it would go against canon and he would start naming episodes where this had happened, etc.

blechh...I knew that, though. See that's why I need a translator. What I meant was the stuff John Logan wrote some of the actors said they didn't agree, but they ALSO said the same thing about Stuart Baird, so I got a bit muddled. Once again, I say I know what I'm talking about...

I think we need one that knows the trek universe, but is willing to listen to the actors concerning their characters as well.