Sign in to follow this  
Star Trek Fan

New planetoid discovered by NASA

It's about 3 times farther from the sun than Pluto!!! Contains ice and it may contain life! Who knows?

LOL it has an average surface temperature of -200C I doubt life LOL

It's about 3 times farther from the sun than Pluto!!! Contains ice and it may contain life! Who knows?

LOL it has an average surface temperature of -200C I doubt life LOL

Maybe not life as we know it, but penguins can survive in very cold temperatures, but they cannot in our temperature.

Yeah, I heard about it, It is however difficult to draw the lines between those planetoids and asteroids and comets.

(This belongs in Science + Technology)

To assume that since it is -200C life CANNOT be supported is short sighted. Life does adapt. After all, we have found life in the most uninhabitable places on Earth, so is it really that unreasonable to assume it could be in other places, as well? and mind you, I am not limiting this to Sentient life. Bacteria counts.

It was named Sedna (catalog name: 2003 VB12). Sedna was the "goddess of the sea for Arctic dwellers." Which is a fitting name since it is the coldest place in the currently known Solar System (Temp is estimated at -240C / -400F).

The following site will give you some more information and estimated orbit for this new plaetoid.

:cool:

could it join the likes of SMiley?

We currently have about 11 planets or planetoid (not moon)

these include the first nine smiley another I can't remember and the one mentioned above...