Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Rick Berman Interview

An exciting end to the season

042.jpg

Rick, What are your hopes and wishes for the Star Trek franchise in 2004?

My focus and Brandon's focus is on the show. We are down to the last six episodes of this season on Enterprise. We have about 10 episodes left to air. The ones that are done I am extremely pleased with. I think we have some wonderful shows coming up. I am hoping that our numbers hold and that we can deliver an exciting and surprising conclusion to the Xindi arc, which has lasted all season.

I have heard that the Xindi arc is going to have a very spectacular finish.

It is going to be spectacular and also have some shocking surprises. I won't say anything more than that.

043.jpg

Will any of the non-expanse characters, such as the Vulcan or Admiral Forrest, get some screen time this season?

They might possibly be involved in the end of the season.

Will the Xindi arc run into the fourth season at all?

The answer to that is, in a small way, it will. I am not saying that it is not going to be resolved or that we will have a cliffhanger, but there will definitely be an unresolved element to it.

Even if the Expanse arc ends this season with the threat to earth averted, where does that leave the series, the format, the mood and the characters? How do you top that? Does it leave you in a better place with more honed characters and storytelling to get back into the Pre-Federation build up?

That is a very interesting question. After 23 seasons of four different series, we chose this year to do a season-long arc, which has never been done before. I would say that there are elements of it that existed on Deep Space Nine, but never quite to this degree. Do I think we will be going into next season with another season long arc? I don't know. We may or we may not go into next season with some major difference in the series; we may go into next season with a series of smaller arcs. I doubt, though, that we will go back to the first and second season of just total stand alone, arc-less episodes. But that is all a few months away from being decided.

Has there been any progress made in bringing Star Trek back to the big screen anytime soon?

I have had no discussions with Paramount about it. It is in a holding pattern at the moment.

How involved is the studio in determining what kinds of shows you will do each week? Do they have to approve each script and each storyline early on, or do they leave that solely up to you and your team?

They leave it up to myself and my team-however, we send story concepts to both the studio and the network, and if they have any comments we listen to them. Sometimes we'll argue and sometimes we'll embrace them, but there is no enmity between us. Their comments are always helpful. On the other hand, after 600 episodes of television, they are pretty satisfied that we know what we are doing.

For the complete interview check out Star Trek Communicator issue # 149

INteresting interview. A couple points that I want to make comment on are these?

I doubt, though, that we will go back to the first and second season of just total stand alone, arc-less episodes. But that is all a few months away from being decided.

I found this interesting and only point it out because we've had occasion here to discuss the merits of a Stand Alone series vs. an Arc driven series. It seems that they plan to keep Enterprise more in the mold of DS9.

Has there been any progress made in bringing Star Trek back to the big screen anytime soon?

I have had no discussions with Paramount about it. It is in a holding pattern at the moment.

This is what I kind of figured was happening, a "holding pattern". No plans one way or the other.

i think hes full of it... i dont like that they should have plans for a movie... a holding pattern is just his way of saying that there wont b another!!! MAKE ANOTHER MOVIE!!!!

I agree with stoned_vulcan that Berman is holding up on the movie.... But I think that they need to get away from the Xindi arc completely..... Get away from the temporal cold war.....

I'm just hoping this means there will be a season four

I hope so too TUH..I know I'll be happier when there is official word of Enterprise being renewed for a 4th season..

Of course there will be a season 4! No doubt! I'm just super glad to know that in some manner the arc's will continue. It's also good that the arcs might not be full year arcs because if every season they have a year long arc would become unbelievable that the situation the Ent crew ends up in is always of the same amount of time from begginingg of the problem to the solution. Arcs of varying lengths, some overlapping etc. is definately the way to go. That would make the arcs more similar to the DS9 arcs which worked superbly.

As for the "holding pattern" I don't think that it means there will be no next movie. Even the first Star Trek movie was in a "holding pattern". All movies are until that time when it is decided that it WILL be made. Since that decision has not been made YET does not mean that it wont be made. Besides, I think it unfair to say that they should make a new movie right now because we should consider ourselves lucky that new Star Trek is still being made. Berman has brought Star Trek farther than anyone would have imagined 15 years ago. Give the guy some credit, it isn't easy to do 17 seasons of a show (DS9, VOY, and Ent) and still have it going as strong as it is.

From the Q & A session, I believe that there will definately be a Season 4. I am glad that Paramount is not considering a movie for Star Trek. I think that Paramount needs to leave the movie circuit alone for awhile and concentrate on the Enterprise series (if it is going to try and make the traditional seven year mark).

:cool:

I have very little respect Mr. Rick Berman after Star Trek: Nemsis. Why did Data have to die if it was the last TNG movie? He has flooded the market with Star Trek. :frusty::picard-sith:

Data had to die because Brent Spiner was aging.... How does one explain an andriod aging.

logic my friends, logic

Data had to die because Brent Spiner was aging.... How does one explain an andriod aging.

logic my friends, logic

Well he had the chance to write in where transporters on the shuttles or captain's yacht transport him onto the ship....

he could have lived...

:laugh: