Sign in to follow this  
Beam me up

Projectile Weapons?

Given the obvious success of projectile weapons, why does Starfleet not more actively employ them against the Borg?

Edited by Beam me up

The Borg could adapt to high speed projectiles just like the Goa'uld have personal "deflector" shields in SG-1 which prevent high speed energy fire, but allow slower moving objects. I wouldn't take that risk, so I'll take a phaser. :)

Stardate:214199.8

Well im assuming that bullets have only been used once against the botg(First Contact)so i imaigine the borg have adapted to it

remember the episode "field of fire"? i thought they mentioned that starfleet decided to use energy based weapons over projectile for many reasons dont forget the phaser works to some extent.. but the borg would eventually adapt.. in addition projectile weapons have recoil, and are probably harder to use... i think they would require more training than a phaser... in addition other races such as klingons, and romulans use energy based weapons so why shouldnt the federation?

I believe he's saying that he thinks, as opposed to energy weapons (phasers), bullet-type weapons would require more training, are harder to use, and would eventually be adapted to anyway.

I have no opinion on the matter, but I have no clue what ep he's referring to. :)

I have no opinion on the matter, but I have no clue what ep he's referring to. :)

Field of Fire was a DS9 episode from season 7. Three officers were murdered by a projectile weapon. Here's the link: Field of Fire

A projectile weapon would be fairly easy to defend against (In the ST Universe). It's just a matter of making a shield to deflect the projectile. Worf did it in Fist Full of Data's.

that same technology could be used to defend against a Directed energy weapon, also, VBG. Personally, I wouldn't mind having a couple of Shotguns or Thompsons on hand just in case.

Remember that the First Contact scene with bullets were not projectiles but actually force fields.....

Holodecks are forcefields and photons...

Not projectiles...

But projectiles are different thatn forcefields....

Come on think about it.....

Yes, but with the safety protocols off, they're nearly the same.

Thanks, Takara :) . Can't wait til Spike starts playin' those DS9 eps; then I won't be so out-of-the-loop.

projectiles woodnt have much more effect as VBG said its simple to shield against, projectiles are much harder to use and require more training to use, plus u have problems that you encounter... like having to reload.. (im sorry i dont know much about weapon technology) but its much easier and more effiecient to use an energy based weapon, they still work against the borg, they just adapt, with a projectile weapon the borg would know whats comming instantly and could adapt beforehand, you woodnt even touch them

A projectile weapon would be fairly easy to defend against (In the ST Universe). It's just a matter of making a shield to deflect the projectile. Worf did it in Fist Full of Data's.

Worf did to that, but you must remember that that wasn't actually a bullet. It was just photonic energy. This means that, although, it would cut through a body like a bullet, a sheild would still register it as energy, just very concentrated energy. (but no so concentrated that it is true matter) I think what I just said made sense. I could be wrong though. However, even if it does make sense, it doesn't make a difference now that I think about it. A photon torpedo is a projectile weapon and a ships sheilds can stop that. Also, now that I think about this more, I realize that the bullets Picard used in FC were also holographic, just like Data's. There go's that point out the window.

yes as I explained the projectiles were nothing but photons and forcefields...

Think about this. the bullets in the Holodeck were forcefields and photons, right? so how are they any different then a phaser burst? a REAL bullet is a lead (or other dense materiel in the new Lead-free rounds) core, wrapped in a brass jacket. on impact, it causes tremendous damage as the jacket peals away and the lead mushrooms in pistol rounds, or simply tumbles and breaks up in a rifle bullet. I think Borg personal sheilds are designed to deflect energy, and so are therefor modulated against certain phaser emmition modulations. also, you can change what materials a bullet is made out of. you can make it out of solid Brass, or solid lead, Depleted Uranium, Tungsten, Steel, rubber, wood, aluminum, compressed and pressurised sand, plastic, paint, whatever. you could potentially fit a trooper with an M-4 Carbine that has 10 different types of ammo in it's 30 round detachable box magazine. and by the way, a .50 caliber tungsten penetrator round can kill some tanks, so imagine what it can do to a Borg drone, or an unarmored humanoid.

well it would make sence that things like holodeck bullets could hurt you, its that same as being able to touch a holodeck chair or a glass or how the doctor can grab a hypo-spray. its pretty solid.. and havent they said that the holodecks work similarly to the transproters and replicators or somehting.. (cant really remeber)

they woud adapt to the holodecks eventually as they can go through forcefields...