Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

The Bertuzzi hit on Steve Moore

I thought I would post this article on the major story in the NHL. It has overshadowed the trade deadline and put the career of one man and the season of another in serious peril.

Moore out for the year; police investigate

Canadian Press

3/9/2004

VANCOUVER (CP) - Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore, sucker-punched from behind by Canucks star Todd Bertuzzi, will miss the rest of the season with a fractured neck as bad blood led to a bad injury.

Bertuzzi, meanwhile, faces the wrath of the NHL and possibly the police.

Moore, a rookie with modest numbers for the Avs, crashed face first to the ice following Bertuzzi's punch in the third period of Colorado's 9-2 win Monday night.

The Canucks power forward landed on top of Moore, who was targeted because of a hit last month that sidelined Vancouver captain Markus Naslund with a concussion.

Police are investigating the incident, which also left Moore with a concussion. He will remain in hospital in Vancouver ``for an indefinite period of time,'' the Avs said.

``Regardless of the fact that this involves a player in the National Hockey League, this will be a routine assault investigation,'' said Const. Sarah Bloor, a spokesman for the Vancouver Police.

``Crown counsel will be responsible for making a decision as to whether or not anyone is charged.''

Bertuzzi has been suspended pending a hearing with the NHL in Toronto on Wednesday.

The league issued a statement saying executive vice-president Colin Campbell, who handles discipline for the NHL, and Bertuzzi would not comment until a disciplinary decision was reached.

The general managers of both teams held separate news conferences Tuesday. Canucks GM Brian Burke said Bertuzzi had planned to meet the media but was ``too distraught to come here today.''

``It's been too emotionally difficult for him,'' he said.

``Right now he's very upset about what happened. In terms of the incident, he's remorseful and relieved that Mr. Moore's injuries at this point appear, that a full recovery should be possible.''

Bertuzzi had tried to contact Moore at the hospital, in addition to trying to speak to the Avalanche trainer, Burke said.

The Canucks GM, while wishing Moore ``nothing but the best in terms of recovering from this injury,'' declined comment on the incident himself.

Colorado GM Pierre Lacroix was also guarded.

``We hope as an organization that Steve will recover,'' Lacroix said, adding more medical tests are planned.

``All I know that his spirit, under the circumstance, is good,'' Lacroix added.

He avoided offering any more medical information, saying that was best left to doctors.

Lacroix also did not want to talk about a criminal investigation, saying he just wanted his player to get well.

``I don't want to think of anything else,'' he said.

It was in Vancouver that Marty McSorley, then with the Boston Bruins, was charged with assault after knocking out then-Canuck Donald Brashear with a stick to the head in February 2000.

McSorley, suspended by the NHL for a year, was convicted of assault and given an 18-month conditional discharge.

Moore's injuries are extensive.

`Exams have revealed that Steve sustained a concussion and a cervical injury (neck fracture) and will be out at least for the remainder of the season,'' head Colorado trainer Pat Karns said in a statement.

``He also suffered deep facial lacerations and abrasions to the forehead, right cheek and upper lip.''

As soon as his condition allows it, the 25-year-old from Windsor, Ont., will be transferred to Craig Hospital in Denver, the statement continued.

On a team stacked with stars, Moore is a checking forward who has four goals and seven assists in 57 games this season, 13th in scoring on the Avs. He has 37 penalty minutes.

Bertuzzi is a bona-fide star, a native of Sudbury, Ont., who signed a $27.8-million US four-year contract in October. While known for his big hits - his hard-hitting checks were featured in a TV commercial for Gatorade - he usually steers away from fights.

This is not the complete article but you get the idea. Personally, I think Bertuzzi should be suspended for the rest of the season and the playoffs. His actions were totally unacceptable and he has to pay for his brutal offense. The hit was obviously pre-meditated.

As for Moore's hit on Naslund, Naslund had the puck so he's free game and lead with his head so the concussion is as much his fault as Moore's. Moore's hit also looked largely accidental and he may have even tried to avoid Naslund.

I will post again in this topic once the extent of Bertuzzi's suspension is known.

I think Bertuzzi should receive some type of suspension. How long, I'm not sure.

I hope the courts don't get involved though. Just leave it to the NHL. Going by the McSorley example, it's a waste of taxpayers' money and the punishment he got from the NHL was far more severe. When he finished serving his suspension he was basically blackballed from professional hockey.

It's funny that I just found this post because I've just now seen the clip for the first time 30 seconds ago. It was a cheap shot, that kind of thing shouldn't be tolerated and he should be suspended for the length of time that the player that's injured will be out. If it's a year then he can't return until 1 day after the injured player returns.

Bertuzzi's hearing was today and a decision will be rendered tomorrow at 9:00 AM Eastern Time.

In regards to your comments VaBeachGuy, I agree with the idea that inappropriate actions causing injury should warrant suspensions equal to the injury time. However, I don't see it happening.

Bertuzzi is a fool. Sure he didn't expect to break Moore's neck, bu he did.

This is, IMO, worse than the Marty McSorley/Donald Brashear thing. Brashear got a concussion. Moore got a fractured neck.

Bertuzzi should be suspended for sure, and maybe even expelled from the NHL. This violence can not be allowed.

And the courts will become involved. I was watching the news today and they kept saying how it is equivilant to someone walking up to a stranger on the street, and punching them in the back of the head.

My understanding is that there's a police investigation. I'm not too sure about the laws in Canada but I believe they are pretty similar to laws in the U.S. and maybe the proper place for punishment in this situation is in a Canadian court.

I don't follow Hockey that much, as you all know but this isn't the kind of thing that would cause me to gain interest in the sport. I think the NHL has to make a stand if they want to attract fans that are interested in seeing something more then a fight.

It's funny that I just found this post because I've just now seen the clip for the first time 30 seconds ago. It was a cheap shot, that kind of thing shouldn't be tolerated and he should be suspended for the length of time that the player that's injured will be out. If it's a year then he can't return until 1 day after the injured player returns.

That's the perfect example of the punishment fitting the crime....good

thinking... :clap:

There seems to be a lot of unsporting behavior in almost every sport recently. I think all of the leagues need to take a stand and make it known to players that this kind of thing will not be tolerated. I've seen more than a few hits in hockey that were clearly meant to cause injury. A few elbows thrown in basketball that were uncalled for.

Here's the ruling on the situation:

Bertuzzi Done for Season

I can't say I disagree with the ruling. I think its pretty much as expected and I think Vancouver will not advance very far in the playoffs without Bertuzzi. Its a shame too, Vancouver is a very good team but I just don't think they can compensate for the loss of someone as good as Bertuzzi.

I'd also like to say how sympathetic I am for Bertuzzi. He made a mistake and now he is paying for it. He is not a bad person but he had one bad moment. Anyone who saw the press conference knows what I mean. However, my sympathy for Steve Moore is far greater.

Todd Bertuzzi made a mistake and he's getting what he deserves for that mistake.

The hit is ruinging the already tarnished reputation of the NHL...Bertuzzi shouldnt have even thought of such a thing i should they should ban him from the NHL, if betman doesnt laydown the law on this type of stuff as much as he should make an example out of burtuzzi it will clean up the NHL

First off, it's unfortunate Moore sustained such a severe injury. No player deserves that, but I don't think it was Bertuzzi's intent.

But nobody seems to have brought up the fact that Moore kind of cheap-shotted Markus Naslund a few weeks before, causing him a concussion with a hit that could have just as easily led a similar injury as he received. There's no doubt that what Bertuzzi did was a cheap shot, but until about 10 years ago nobody would've hit a star player like Naslund like that for fear of retribution. Bertuzzi and Naslund are also good friends off the ice, so it may have gotten a little personal, which is unprofessional - but, let's face it, most athletes are anything but professional, unless you define professional as simply making loads of money.

Bertuzzi obviously didn't intend to break Moore's neck because the punishment would clearly have been (and is) severe. It's just bad luck that that's what happened. If there was no broken neck and just a concussion, most people would probably be saying the shot was a little cheap but fair payback given what Moore did. I really feel sorry for Moore because I've fractured my back myself in sports, but he should never have hit Naslund like he did in the first place. You just can't go around trying to injure the top player (or at least one of the top 10) in the league with no fear of punishment.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

First off, it's unfortunate Moore sustained such a sever injury.  No player deserves that, but I don't think it was Bertuzzi's intent.

But nobody seems to have brought up the fact that Moore kind of cheap-shotted Markus Naslund a few weeks before, causing him a concussion with a hit that could have just as easily led a similar injury as he received.

Markus had the puck, big difference, that was a clean hit and he was open game

but I agreed the intent wasn't there

that would make him a monster, IMO he got what he deserved...

Hey, I mentioned the hit on Naslund.

"As for Moore's hit on Naslund, Naslund had the puck so he's free game and lead with his head so the concussion is as much his fault as Moore's. Moore's hit also looked largely accidental and he may have even tried to avoid Naslund."

The last part is my opinion and not fact.

I don't see how the fact that it was Naslund who was hit makes any difference. Superstars are no different from any other player they just have more talent. They are free game and they cannot expect to not get hit. Naslund did lead with his head and had the puck. The fact he has the puck makes him free game and if he leads with his head a concussion is as much his fault as the guy who hit him.

Jack Bauer,

I kind of agree and I kind of don't. You wouldn't have seen Gretzky or Lemieux taking a shot like that... ever. I'm not saying Naslund is at that level, but he's up there. Players have to protect their teammates and rookies need to show more respect to the players who've established themselves. It makes a difference who gets nailed because losing an elite player can take a team out of the playoffs whereas losing a nobody makes almost no difference.

Naslund should've known better than to put himself in that position, but everybody knows what happens when you take out the other teams start. It's just bad luck that the injury was as bad as it was.

And yes, you did mention Naslund at the start. Sorry, I skipped your original post after you got into the article because I knew the story already.

RSV

Wether he deserved it or not .Plain and simple it was a cheap shot.

He broke the code. You drop your gloves and face each other. You do not jump someone from behind. thats cowardly.

Yeah, it was definately a vicious, cheap shot by Bertuzzi. And he needs to be punished so this kind of thing isn't repeated. I'm just saying it's not entirely one-sided and the severity of an injury from a hit has a degree of randomness to it. Players need to be careful, but we also can't judge what happened solely based on the injury.

This is true. but in Hockey you have a unwritten code. You drop your gloves and face each other as men. One goes down you stop. You don't jump someone from behind. Like I said thats Cowardly.

We still don't know what he'll get because it depends on Moore's recovery. The penalty to Bertuzzi to date seems fair, although I don't see why the Canucks were fined as a team. He'll also have to watch his back very carefully when (if) he does come back and will have to spend a lot of time winning back respect from the fans.

the fans wont care surprisingly many fans in vancouver probably liked it and thought it was justified, the game is pretty bad now adays..

Yeah, I think you may be right about some of the fans. I'd say most fans are not impressed by that level of stupidity, but there are always a vocal few. The media was also playing it up and hyping the game beyond belief - now they've got what they wanted. There's absolutely no excuse for what Bertuzzi did, but...

The thing about it is that it now looks like he didn't even have a broken neck and that report was made by a doctor who saw it on TV but didn't even examine Moore. The injuries are whiplash and fractured vertebrae and Moore is walking - this is a far cry from a broken neck. So now we have a player with a massive suspension based on an injury (broken neck) that didn't happen. The AVs are not (and were not) saying anything and seem to be milking it to make sure a key player on a key rival is not in the game. Tony Granato refuses to comment on it and clarify the injuries, which is pretty bizarre for a game that has a daily injury report for the media.

There's also the possibility that his neck was fractured when all the other idiots decided to pile on top of Moore and Bertuzzi, though it seems more likely it happened when he hit the ice after the punch.

I'm just wondering why Moore didn't turn around and fight Bertuzzi in the first place. Bertuzzi was following him around for a bit before the punch and undoubtedly asking for a scrap, but Moore wouldn't even face him. I just want to reiterate that I'm not making excuses for Bertuzzi, but Moore should've faced the music at that point.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

i think that the first punch knocked out moore or something he just collapsed as for the injury reports that sounds fishy i havnt heard any of that... did you see the highstick on the avs from Belak last night? that was cheap but hes going infront of the board so we will wait and see on that one.. is it just me or are the avs being victims all of a sudden?

Just a quick comment on the Belak thing. That was more reckless than anything. Additionally, Belak was slightly off balance at the time and so in correcting himself he hit Vaasanen (sp). I'm not defending what he did, he should have had more control and he could have really hurt Vaasanen.

However, I do not doubt that there may have been some intent. He'll be suspended and he deserves to be. Frankly, I think the Leafs are better off without Belak. He takes too many dumb penalties and I'd rather have Stajan out there than Belak. Belak serves no real purpose to the team.

And in regards to come other incidents recently, the Calagry-Nashville fight is nothing special. Its just that Sutter put Oliwa out there for the purpose of a fight and thats deserves a suspension.

The Messier spearing incident I didn't see but obviously it deserved a suspension and he got one (2 games). I'm glad it wasn't too long because Messier wil likely retire at the end of the regular season (Because the Rangers aren't going to make it) and he is one of the finest players in NHL history.

That's my take on the recent incidents in the NHL. Sure these are negatives but there are a lot of positives. There's a great race for position in the Eastern conference and another great race for the final playoff spots in the Western Conference. Lots of teams looking good for the playoffs. Should be one heck of a race for the Stanley Cup.

For TSN.ca, I'm Jack_Bauer :dude::dude:

So, the AVs are still calling it a broken neck in general but when they get into the details it's really several fractures with no nerve damage to the spinal cord. I had a similar injury to my lower back and it took about 7 weeks before the pain went away and about 3 months to feel 100% - they're saying 6 - 12 weeks for him, which is right on schedule. After I fractured my back skydiving (crashed into a tree), I went to a wedding the next day and waited one more day before I went to the hospital, where they told me there was little they could do because of the location of the injury and the high likelihood that it would heal naturally.

They're also saying his future is in doubt. Well, duh! He's a rookie with 12 points (5G, 7A) on a very high-scoring team and he's not much of a goon, so I'd say his future in the NHL would have been in doubt without the injury. Without the injury, he'd be a fourth line centre at this point or an AHLer. It's just that with him getting hurt and the distinct probability that he might be replaced by a better player anyway, the AVs can milk this to hurt one of their top rivals.

Trust an organisation partially run by Tony Granato to pull something like this.

Yeah, I do prefer TSN to Sportsnet. I feel that TSN has better hockey coverage and TSN's web site is great at having the latest information in sports. I also prefer TSN's analyst team, well relatively. I hate Pierre Maguire, McKenzie is decent, but I really like Glenn Healy (he's awesome). But compared to Nick Kypreos, John Garrett, and Scott Morrison, they're much better (Watters is okay and Stellick is not bad).

The TSN on air people are good (I'm indifferent to Onrait but I like Hedger, Price, Woron, Rod Smith, and Darren Deutsychen (butchered sp). I do like Jim Van Horne and Jody Vance is alright but on the whole I think TSN has better on air personalities.

I just threw that TSN line in there to be a goof.

Yeah, I do prefer TSN to Sportsnet. I feel that TSN has better hockey coverage and TSN's web site is great at having the latest information in sports. I also prefer TSN's analyst team, well relatively. I hate Pierre Maguire, McKenzie is decent, but I really like Glenn Healy (he's awesome). But compared to Nick Kypreos, John Garrett, and Scott Morrison, they're much better (Watters is okay and Stellick is not bad).

The TSN on air people are good (I'm indifferent to Onrait but I like Hedger, Price, Woron, Rod Smith, and Darren Deutsychen (butchered sp). I do like Jim Van Horne and Jody Vance is alright but on the whole I think TSN has better on air personalities.

I just threw that TSN line in there to be a goof.

Oh, yeah. TSN is way better, though I don't get much of it where I'm at now.

I prefer Jim Hughson for game commentary.