Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holland

Hey, did anyone catch...

Well, I was watching Azati Prime, and near the end, durng the ship battle, there is a breach in Enterprise's hull, and then three or four bodies come flying out. Did anyone else notice this? I don't think I've ever seen this before in Trek. Just caught my attention. What do you think?

I thought I saw bodies in space too. in one of the DS9 episodes, they show a Klingon vessel under attack, and they show an internal explosion, and a crewman running down the corridorslips, hits the deck, and is sucked out. also, in Nemesis, one of the bridge crew is sucked out.

I thought I saw bodies in space too. in one of the DS9 episodes, they show a Klingon vessel under attack, and they show an internal explosion, and a crewman running down the corridorslips, hits the deck, and is sucked out. also, in Nemesis, one of the bridge crew is sucked out.

Yeah I just remembered the Nemisis thing, I guess I have seen it before. Wouldn't that be a horrible way to die?

It's blown not sucked.

It's blown not sucked.

What's the difference? This is exactly what irritates me about Trek fans. Look, there are a number of other words that could probably be used to describe what happened, but does it matter as long as the point gets across clearly? Blown, sucked, propelled, pulled from the confines of the ship, yanked off the ship like a weed from a flower bed, plucked from the happy confines of his/her quarters, wrenched into the void, extracted from their warm, fuzzy existence like a misplaced piece of frozen bacon on a veggie pizza... who really cares?

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

It's blown not sucked.

What's the difference?

Blown means that when the hull is breached, the atmosphere "explodes" outward into space, blowing the person out of the ship. This happens due to the vacum of space.

Sucked would mean that the person is somehow "pulled" out into space, which simply does not happen.

The words have different meanings. You are "blown out" into space when the hull is breached due to the decompression of the ship, the vacum of space does not "suck" you out.

This is exactly what irritates me about Trek fans.

What's wrong with being corrected?

Look, there are a number of other words that could probably be used to describe what happened, but does it matter as long as the point gets across clearly?

Some people, like myself, are just as annoyed when people do not use proper English.

Sucked, pulled from the confines of the ship, yanked off the ship like a weed from a flower bed, plucked from the happy confines of his/her quarters, wrenched into the void, extracted from their warm, fuzzy existence like a misplaced piece of frozen bacon on a veggie pizza...

All of the above are incorrect ways to describe a ship decompression, sending one off into space. Believe it or not, but words do have a different meaning.

who really cares?

I do, for one.

Cap, if it happens on the space shuttle, it's called explosive decompression. when a spacecraft explosively decompresses, that which is internal is sucked from the vessel. explosive decompression can be caused by a number of things: Internal explosion, loss of hull integrity, collission with an object, or an explosive device.

Cap, if it happens on the space shuttle, it's called explosive decompression. when a spacecraft explosively decompresses, that which is internal is sucked from the vessel. explosive decompression can be caused by a number of things: Internal explosion, loss of hull integrity, collission with an object, or an explosive device.

Yes, but an explossion is another way to say, "It blew up!" So, the occupants are "blown out".

I was going to be sensitive and not post this, but I just can't help myself.

Some people, like myself, are just as annoyed when people do not use proper English.

Earlier word:

vacum

I take it you meant vacuum, right?

I was going to be sensitive and not post this, but I just can't help myself.

Earlier word:

vacum

I take it you meant vacuum, right?

That is a typo, and I think you know the difference between a typo and bad English. :)

Yes, I do know the difference. I know it well, which is precisely why I pointed that out for you - just think of it as being corrected or helped (as you said).

Back to the point of the original post, it's a pretty interesting special effect, but I think it takes away from the drama. It'd be more dramatic to see someone clinging on for dear life like the last scene in "Aliens." I haven't seen "Azati Prime" yet, but I can imagine what it'll look like.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

I agree, RSV! Remember how Archer was clinging for dear life in the launch bay when Silik opened the space doors to escape in "Cold Front"? I think the show needs to give us more decompression scenes from the interrior's point of view to show us that 22nd century ships don't have hulls that are as strong as those in Kirk and Picard's eras.

Yes, those were bodies. The same happened in nemesis with the view screen being blown out.

I agree, RSV!  Remember how Archer was clinging for dear life in the launch bay when Silik opened the space doors to escape in "Cold Front"?  I think the show needs to give us more decompression scenes from the interrior's point of view to show us that 22nd century ships don't have hulls that are as strong as those in Kirk and Picard's eras.

Yes, there's something about a decompression scene that makes me tingle.

I agree, RSV!  Remember how Archer was clinging for dear life in the launch bay when Silik opened the space doors to escape in "Cold Front"?  I think the show needs to give us more decompression scenes from the interrior's point of view to show us that 22nd century ships don't have hulls that are as strong as those in Kirk and Picard's eras.

Yes, there's something about a decompression scene that makes me tingle.

It makes it more real to me.. "wow, they're really in space" :dude:

Edited by Stelfan