Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

Instances of Foreshadowing

I was wondering: have you ever gone back and seen an episode and noticed something that alluded to a future episode. This is probably best seen on DS9 due to the arcing plot lines. Here are some examples I've noticed:

-Rapture: Sisko sees locusts heading towards Cardassia

By Inferno's Light - Dominion ships go to Cardassia (Dominion ships look like insects). Okay, so that's obvious.

-The Sound of Her Voice: O'Brien says that one day someone will be missing from the group

Tears of the Prophets (Next ep) - Jadzia dies (undoubtedly deliberate, Terry Farrell had to have made her choice to leave by then)

-Sacrifice of Angels: The prophets say a penance must be exacted (the prophet in the form of Jake says this)

The Reckoning: Jake is possessed by a Pah-Wraith (okay so this is a stretch)

My best example:

Destiny: A vedek recites Trakor's fourth prophecy: the Emissary will face a fiery challenge and be forced to make a difficult choice

What you Leave Behind - Sisko battles Dukat in the fire caves.

I haven't seen all of these episodes so I'm not sure if the original reference is brought up in the second ep.

Anyway, anyone have any examples of foreshadowing or is this the typical Jack_Bauer post (no replies, drops like a stone)?

"The Neutral Zone" - Federation and Romulan outposts are destroyed, as if they had been "scooped" away. In "Q Who?", we see the Borg carve out a section of the Enterprise, and in "The Best of Both Worlds, Part I", we learn that it was the Borg indeed who destroyed the outposts via "scooping them up".

I've mainly watched TNG and to answer your question yes. I think the most obvious example was in Mind's Eye. Having Denise Crosby doing the voice of the Romulan commander who was standing in the shadows certainly made me wonder what was going on so to see Sela two episodes later in Redemption was really something.

I remember an episode (might have been Galaxy's Child ) that Guinan said she was attracted to men with bald heads because a bald man once did something nice for her (something like that) but that episode was in season 4 and Time's Arrow Part 1 in season 5 so it's hard to know whether the writers knew they were going to have a storyline like Time's Arrow in the future or if it was a coincidence.

In the episodes Past Tense and Past Tense II, when Sisko, Jadzia and Julian travel back in time accidently and end up on Earth sometime in early 2000's. Sisko changes the timeline and so he has to pretend to be Gabriel Bell in order to restore the timeline. His picture is printed in the history books. Then in Little Green Men, when Rom, Quark and Nog are going to Earth, Nog is reading about Earth history and he makes a comment to Quark that 'This Gabriel Bell human looks a lot like Captain Sisko'

I've mainly watched TNG and to answer your question yes. I think the most obvious example was in Mind's Eye. Having Denise Crosby doing the voice of the Romulan commander who was standing in the shadows certainly made me wonder what was going on so to see Sela two episodes later in Redemption was really something.

I remember an episode (might have been Galaxy's Child ) that Guinan said she was attracted to men with bald heads because a bald man once did something nice for her (something like that) but that episode was in season 4 and Time's Arrow Part 1 in season 5 so it's hard to know whether the writers knew they were going to have a storyline like Time's Arrow in the future or if it was a coincidence.

Guinan said that to Geordi when he asked her how to talk to a woman. That episode with the hologram of Leah Brahms. Hmm, can't recall the name of that one right now, Anyone?

Guinan said that to Geordi when he asked her how to talk to a woman. That episode with the hologram of Leah Brahms. Hmm, can't recall the name of that one right now, Anyone?

Booby Trap. Season 3 episode # 54

After watching the full series of DS9 it's amazing how it all fit together so well. Subtle little plot points that fit together so well in to the puzzle of the series. The writers and producers eithere did a very good job or got very lucky lol.

I was wondering: have you ever gone back and seen an episode and noticed something that alluded to a future episode. This is probably best seen on DS9 due to the arcing plot lines. Here are some examples I've noticed:

-Rapture: Sisko sees locusts heading towards Cardassia

By Inferno's Light - Dominion ships go to Cardassia (Dominion ships look like insects). Okay, so that's obvious.

-The Sound of Her Voice: O'Brien says that one day someone will be missing from the group

Tears of the Prophets (Next ep) - Jadzia dies (undoubtedly deliberate, Terry Farrell had to have made her choice to leave by then)

-Sacrifice of Angels: The prophets say a penance must be exacted (the prophet in the form of Jake says this)

The Reckoning: Jake is possessed by a Pah-Wraith (okay so this is a stretch)

My best example:

Destiny: A vedek recites Trakor's fourth prophecy: the Emissary will face a fiery challenge and be forced to make a difficult choice

What you Leave Behind - Sisko battles Dukat in the fire caves.

I haven't seen all of these episodes so I'm not sure if the original reference is brought up in the second ep.

Anyway, anyone have any examples of foreshadowing or is this the typical Jack_Bauer post (no replies, drops like a stone)?

Anyone who was an avid fan of ST:DS9 (In My Opinion) found it easy to foreshadow future events. This series, was the best written hands down.

A classic.

:cool:

I cant think of any foreshadowing but just wanted to say that yes of course there is foreshadowing involved in Star Trek, it is a great show, with great writers.... and we wonder how they can do such an amazing job?