Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Holiday Banner Contest

Here's a "contest" for the upcoming Holiday season. I thought it would be fun if we had a bunch of Holiday Banners for the upcoming winter holidays (or Summer holidays if you're south of the Equator :lol: ).

Here's the contest. Make a STARTREKFANS.NET holiday banner and the one that gets the most votes as the best will win. The "prize" hasn't been determined yet but it will be similar to the Halloween contest.

Speaking of which only 1 entry has been submitted for the Halloween contest, if no other's are submitted by Monday then the lone submission will be declared the winner. If you have one to submit but need more time to have film developed send me a PM before Monday the 3rd of November.

For the new contest there are a couple of "rules".

1. The size. THe banner has to be the same size as the banners we use on the board. Here's a blank Star Field you can use as a template:

Click for Spoiler:

blank.jpg

2. STARTREKFANS.NET has to be part of the banner and must be prominent like the ones we use now. You can put your screen name on it as well so everyone can see who made it. Here's an example of what I mean:

Click for Spoiler:

klingon_contest.jpg

Other then that the rest is up to you. The style, pictures and everything else can be what you want it to be. (Of course no nudity or vulgarity will be accepted).

It can be a Christmas theme, Hanauaka theme, Quanza theme or other holiday of the season. They need to be submitted by Monday December 22 though. Once they are submitted I will set all of the holiday banners to rotate as the board banner starting December 23rd and they will stay there until January 1st.

Sounds cool VaBeachGuy, just a couple questions:

1. How do we "submit" our banners?

2. Do the banners have to be gif or jpg files or can we get a little fancy with flash? :lol:

Thanks!

Sounds cool VaBeachGuy, just a couple questions:

1. How do we "submit" our banners?

2. Do the banners have to be gif or jpg files or can we get a little fancy with flash? :lol:

Thanks!

They'd have to be jpg's or gif's, I'd prefer jpg's though because they'll be easier to add to the rotating banner I have (which isn't rotating at the moment lol).

Flash is great but wouldn't work for the board banner so I won't be able to include it in the rotation banner. I'm inclined to say that Flash can be used but won't be voted on simply because not everyone knows how to do flash and the flash entries might have an unfair advantage because they can be so much "flashier".

To submit them just e-mail it to contest@startrekfans.net.

Thanks VBG, I'm not a graphic artist by any streach of the imagination, but I do like to play one in my dreams, lol. I have some nice graphics programs so I might give it a try ... :lol:

even though i can't win because i'm a mod, i'm still going to make one. it could be fun.

I forgot to mention that the Mods can do a banner but won't be able to win the contest.

Once the banners are submitted, they will be displayed in the Fan Art sub-forum in Ten Forward.

Here is a direct link to the thread:

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=6541

And to decide whether moderators should be allowed to compete in the contest go to this link: (It is a link to a poll that is in the Voting Booth)

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=6540

The winner will also get some trivia points (unless not wanted). I'll probably give about 20 or 25 points to the winner.

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

For the technologicallyy challenged like me. ....  Can you list some suitable graphic programs we could use to create a banner ? :grin:

You can use Adobe Photoshop 7, I find that one the best. You can also use Paintshop Pro or MS Paint.

For the technologicallyy challenged like me. ....  Can you list some suitable graphic programs we could use to create a banner ? :grin:

You can use Adobe Photoshop 7, I find that one the best. You can also use Paintshop Pro or MS Paint.

I used Paint Shop Pro 8. It's alot cheaper than Photoshop, and it's almost just as good for the price difference.

For the technologicallyy challenged like me. ....  Can you list some suitable graphic programs we could use to create a banner ? :lol:

I used Paint Shop Pro 8. It's alot cheaper than Photoshop, and it's almost just as good for the price difference.

Price? :grin:;);)

I use MS Paint and Paint Shop Pro. It's the trial version, but I just set my clock back. I don't use it nearly enough to warrant paying for the full version.

I've almost finished my holiday banner. I think it is rather clever. However, I'm having trouble with the title caption. I just don't know what colors I should use. I thought red and white alternating would look good, but I'm having trouble making the letters white with Paint Shop Pro. I was able to make them red easily with the Histogram function... any ideas on how to make them white?

For the technologicallyy challenged like me. ....?Can you list some suitable graphic programs we could use to create a banner ? ;)

Price? :grin: :lol: ;)

actually to tell you the truth........ i have both photoshop and paintshop pro bootlegged. (not to mention NUMEROUS games. lol)

i was just trying not to corrupt other people. hehe

Anyone that wants to use the banner font that I've used for all of the banners I've made, just send me a PM and I'll provide you a blank banner that has only the stars and the STF.NET logo.

For the technologicallyy challenged like me. ....?Can you list some suitable graphic programs we could use to create a banner ? :P

Price? :lol: :P :P

actually to tell you the truth........ i have both photoshop and paintshop pro bootlegged. (not to mention NUMEROUS games. lol)

i was just trying not to corrupt other people. hehe

I know what you mean bysty! When I came to these boards I had downloaded a few songs from Kazaa but then I was completely and utterly corrupted by a certain Star Trek message board owner who shall remain named VBG!!!! My only justification that my actions don't hurt the companies involved is the software I have downloaded I would NOT have bought otherwise because I can't afford it - (Adobe Photoshop alone is over $700 in Canada).

Back to the thread, if I can be of assistance to anyone who is having difficulties making a banner, feel free to PM or email me.

I was completely and utterly corrupted by a certain Star Trek message board owner who shall remain named VBG!!!!

I guess it's a good thing my mother didn't name me VBG huh? :lol:

So far we've gotten 3 Christmas/Holiday banners and now that we're "officially" within the Holiday season I thought I'd remind everyone of this contest. You can see 2 of the 3 here:

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=6541

I am really enjoying the creativity of those working on the holiday banners, and I am glad VBG decided to use some of these before the contest is over. I will be away from a computer through the long Christmans vacation, and would have missed seeing them in use.

Good job!

Our first Animated Banner!  :biggrin:  That is so COOL Dillard! Well done! :)

It's amazing what some time off work, a fast internet connection and some boredom will produce. LOL

Aw. My Internet Explorer sucks and it doesn't animate gif animations for some reason. :biggrin:

Have you tried downloading and reinstalling IE 6.0?

Our first Animated Banner!  :biggrin:  That is so COOL Dillard! Well done! :)

Hey! I specifically asked VBG earlier in this thread if we could use flash (and I meant any animation) and was told:

Flash is great but wouldn't work for the board banner so I won't be able to include it in the rotation banner. I'm inclined to say that Flash can be used but won't be voted on simply because not everyone knows how to do flash and the flash entries might have an unfair advantage because they can be so much "flashier".

oh well, nice banner ddillard!

Edited by Big_Steve