Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Trek Doctor Cracks TV Top Ten

A Star Trek doctor is included on a list of the “10 Classic TV Doctors.”

The ten doctors, whose names are well-known to television viewers, range from a youthful but gifted Doogie Houser, to the curmudgeonly Gregory House.

McCoy061110.gifDr. Leonard McCoy (Bones), played by DeForest Kelley, came in at number nine on the list. “‘He’s dead, Jim.’ Leonard McCoy was a staple of the original Star Trek TV series and later film franchise, known for his dry humor and comic pessimism. He even put in an appearance in the pilot episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.”

The top ten television doctors (descriptions and short videos can be seen at the source websites) are:

• Cliff Huxtable (Bill Cosby). The Cosby Show.
  • Doogie Howser (Neil Patrick Harris). Doogie Howser, M.D.
  • Philip Chandler (Denzel Washington). St. Elsewhere.
  • Benjamin Franklin “Hawkeye” Pierce (Alan Alda). M*A*S*H.
  • Doug Ross (George Clooney). E.R.
  • Marcus Welby (Robert Young). Marcus Welby, M.D.
  • Miranda Bailey (Chandra Wilson). Grey’s Anatomy.
  • Julius Hibbert (Harry Shearer). The Simpsons
  • Leonard “Bones” McCoy (DeForest Kelley). Star Trek.
  • Gregory House (Hugh Laurie). House.

View the full article

We all know that "Doc" McCoy is the greatest doctor of all time, next year #1!!!!!!!!!!! :) :wub:

Yea for Dr. McCoy!

Other deserving TV Doctors imo:

Vince Edwards - Ben Casey

Richard Chamberlain - Dr. Kildare

Robert Picardo - Doctor - Voyager

Milburn Stone - Doc - Gunsmoke

How about the character actually named "The Doctor" from Doctor Who? I mean, 11 different actors have played him officially.

YES! You are correct! This is probably too American oriented of a poll for Doctor Who to get much support tho.

Edited by trekz

I thought he should have been ahead of several on that list. Alan Alda far and away should have been number one and several of his M*A*S*H co-stars should have been on the list. Who made this list?

I thought he should have been ahead of several on that list. Alan Alda far and away should have been number one and several of his M*A*S*H co-stars should have been on the list. Who made this list?

McCoy deserved to be higher on the list than Hawkeye. The character McCoy added several phrases to common usage "He's dead Jim" and "I'm a doctor not a _____________" (insert job or profession here). Over the years I have heard many variations on those 2 phrases used much more than anything Hawkeye ever said.

McCoy deserved to be higher on the list than Hawkeye. The character McCoy added several phrases to common usage "He's dead Jim" and "I'm a doctor not a _____________" (insert job or profession here). Over the years I have heard many variations on those 2 phrases used much more than anything Hawkeye ever said.

Too me the catch phrases are cute sort of comedic and very well done in the context of the show. I how ever believe the fan base the years it ran the writing the over all acting. The fact it's last episode was the most watched for years, puts Alan Alda's character on top.