Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Space Debris - Satellite crash etc

Probably most of you have read about the two satellites that collided over Siberia (is Siberia the "Devils Triangle of Astronomy - there was that explosion in 1908). I had read before about the large volume of space debris orbiting the planet. The debris from this latest crash could potentially damage or destroy remaining satellites. But even without this latest crash it's getting crowded up there and without some measures - future rocket launches could be in jeopardy from space debris?

So, how would you handle cleaning up the debris?

This is something I've thought about for a while too. I don't know how they could do it but they need something that would be able to "catch" the debris. I saw an episode of "The Universe" where they flew a probe into the tail of a comet to collect whatever was there and they used this special gel sort of stuff. I don't remember what exactly it was, but when it got back to Earth there were little particles of the comet inside the gel.

Something like that, on a larger scale that could orbit and collect "stuff" and could then either re-enter and burn up or be be retrieved later and brought back to Earth for proper disposal. Of course that's probably not a practical method but someone needs to come up with some method of cleaning the sky or there's going to be some deaths due to space junk.

:) Van Roy.......

Interesting topic. I've actually given this some thought as well. I think VBG's idea is very intriguing and it's funny because I was thinking of some sort of gigantic net that would collect objects as it orbits and then continue to orbit until a monitor attached to the net controlled by us of course "decides" that it has reached a point where it can reenter our atmosphere and safely burn up completely.

I am thinking some kind of capture device and a drone ship to gather up the stuff and send it to the Sun.

If there's enough debris captured though and can be safely brought back down then it could be recycled to help pay for the system. Don't they use a lot of gold for space wessels and such?

I am thinking some kind of capture device and a drone ship to gather up the stuff and send it to the Sun.

If there's enough debris captured though and can be safely brought back down then it could be recycled to help pay for the system. Don't they use a lot of gold for space wessels and such?

Thats true. If ever there were a way to bring it down safely we should do just that. If the objects do not burn up on reentry they should be recycled.