Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

What Do You Think?

The Federation Charter or Coalition  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think The Coalition Charter Signed in TATV Is The Same As The Federation Charter?

• yes, I agree with the theory that the name was changed
    • no, they are completely different charters
    • other

Counselor Deanna Troi's line in "These Are the Voyages...," in which she states "this alliance will lead to the founding of the Federation," suggests that the charter which Archer was to sign at that point in 2161 was not the Federation Charter, but rather the charter of the Coalition that lead to the Federation's incorporation. Since the Federation has already been cofirmed to have been incorporated in 2161, this would seem to indicate that the Coalition gave way to the UFP within the same year. It's also possible that the Coalition of Planets was simply renamed the United Federation of Planets later in the year, in which case, the charter which Archer is about to sign in this episode may be considered the Federation Charter.

I thought that this would make an interesting topic. Do you think that the Coalition Charter and Federation Charter are the same or different? I think they are different. What's your opinion?

I am really not sure. I was trying to remember my own country's history to make up my mind, but I can't bring those details to mind.

So I''ll throw this out as a possible comparison, and if I have my facts are wrong, feel free to correct them.

Didn't the United State operate under something called the Articles of Confederation until the Constitution was written and ratified? I think our nation is regarded as having begun when we declared independence in 1776. I cannot remember when the Articles of Confederation were written, but I think they served as an interim constitution.

When the Constitution was finally ratifed and the federal government set up in the 1780's, it was still the United States.

I state this to say that I am leaning toward the first choice, that this was the actual beginning of the Federation.I still have not cast a vote however.

I Cant really make my decision yet...

I Cant really make my decision yet...

Its probably something like the Articles Of Confederation which led to the signing of the Constitution

Maybe the Charter became the UFP after an excess of species wanting to join.

The Articles of Confederation were used from 1781 until the Constitution was signed into effect in 1788.