Sign in to follow this  
Yillara Skye

AtlanticHurricane Season Underway!

Bringing this thread back since the Atlantic and Pacific seasons are underway for the '04 season. The links I posted for the hurricane updates are in the first couple of my posts on this thread.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

The Beaufort Scale

0 Dead Calm under 2 mph

1-3 Light breeze 2 - 12 mph

4-5 Moderate Wind 13 - 23 mph

6-7 Strong Wind 24-37 mph

8-9 Gale 38 - 55 mph

10-11 Storm 56 - 75 mph

12 Hurricane! Above 75 mph :blink: :laugh:

As always, I look forward to some good storms this year. I always enjoy the storms themselves though as many of you remember from last year I hate the week long power outages lol.

Hurricanes was one of the BIG reasons I moved to the Mid-West. Now all I have to deal with are Tornados :blink: :laugh:

Edited by Jeanway

Since I live in Houston, tornadoes aren't too bad even though Texas has the highest number of tornadoes than any state in the U.S. I have to deal with those pesky hurricanes...

As always, I look forward to some good storms this year. I always enjoy the storms themselves though as many of you remember from last year I hate the week long power outages lol.

As do I. I am hoping for a good, and yet safe Hurricane season. I love storms, except for the destruction they cause.

As always, if there is a chance of a tropical storm in my area(or a minor hurricane) coming in from the Atlantic.. I will more than likely to be found at the sea wall, enjoying the wind and waves and watching the beautiful cloud formations that are so unique(or possible just obvious) from the bands of the storm.

True as it approaches land, I do have the common sense to come indoors..well, after I get to walk around during minor squall lines that is. The wind and rain is awesome...that is until you get smacked in the head with a flying/falling pinecone. Ouch, not very pleasant..just about as unpleasant as getting pelted with hail :look: .

Tornadoes are not too bad around here, but we do get them and water spouts from time to time(not to mention microbursts). But usually deal with tropical storms, outer bands of hurricanes(with some coming quite close to shore, and rarely ever hit), thunderstorms that become quite serious lightning storms. Nor'easterns are pretty prevalent here too..

My city has the problem of flooding also..

All my neighbors' houses were flooded..

Thank God my parents told the builders to elevate the foundation by two inches...

I wish I could say the same. I own a house out in the Booeys of Western Tidewater (VA.)

We got slammed hard by both Floyd(99) and Isabell (03).

Lots of water with Floyd. I got to go underway for that one :lol:

Isabell, however, I got my family and moved inland. Good thing too since we did lose a tree.

Thanks for the updates, I know they will be helpful.

Maybe I'm missing something, but each link I go to doesn't show me either storm anyone is talking about. Am I missing something here or is it just me?!? :lol:

Maybe I'm missing something, but each link I go to doesn't show me either storm anyone is talking about. Am I missing something here or is it just me?!? :o

THe links provide people with the opportunity to check on any current storms, that way people can keep ahead of the game and be able to be better prepared (at least I hope it can help). Those two sites get constant updates, as soon as a new advisory is issued...so you can get the new location, wind speed, possible strike path. On one, if not both sites, you can find the old storms in the archives.

The storms that have been discussed in the earlier pages were storms that were being experienced or tracked at that particular time. So, if you go to the link and cannot find the storm being referred to in the posts...that is why. If you go back and look at the dates of the posts previous to this, many of them are from late summer and into the winter of 2003.

Currently at accuweather's site you can click on Agatha & Blas' names to get their track history for this year's Pacific Hurricane season. Blas' just not too long ago received its final advisory (I do not catch much in the way of the Pacific Hurricane season, as I live near the coast of the Atlantic. THough I tend to check out the eastern Pacific season, just to see the typhoons and super typhoons). At that site, the names in green have not been used yet this year, in red is currently active storms and blue means that they have died out and you can see where they had went. You can also scroll down a little and select the basin you are interested in viewing, and read the update info including which tropical waves they think will be ones that are potentially going to become depresssions, storms and hurricanes.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

I enjoy a good storm, as long as no one is hurt and there is little or no damage. So far we've had a "dry spell" here in Va for a couple years now. Which I guess is a good thing. Like I said though, if no one is hurt and there's no damage Bring it on lol

I'll quote myself from last year because my thoughts for this season are similar. Though I might point out that just 3 or 4 weeks after saying we were having a dry spell Isabell hit us and power was out for a week :o I wish I still had the hurricane video online but I think I deleted it. Maybe I'll fish out the tape and re-encode it.

Well Thunderstorms are formed by collisions of moist warm air and drier cool air. This creates cumulus clouds which form thunderstorms. A hurricane is more like a system of thunderstorms that have formed together and have started to rotate. Hurricanes then gather strength over warm water.

Depending on where you live, sea breezes may play a role. The specific heat of an object is how quickly the object heats up. Because of land's ability to heat up faster than water, the warm air rises and is replaced with cooler ocean air because of the convection effect. This mixing/movement of moisture forms small thunderstorms.

This happens to Houston, where I live, all the time. That's why it rains constantly....

Actually, WAB, I know that looked like a question but I was just complaining about all the rain.

What's up with our weather?

Powerful summer storms mean near-record rainfall

By ROGER BULL

The Times-Union

Wet enough for you?

If you thought the last six weeks seemed a lot stormier than usual, you're right. If you thought they were the wettest early summer weeks in history, you're pretty close.

And if it seems like the power has been going off and on a lot, consider that Jacksonville Electric Authority figures show almost 600 power outages caused by lightning since the beginning of June.

Last month, it rained 21 of June's 30 days, dumping 17.15 inches at Jacksonville International Airport. That's more than 11 inches over the 5.37-inch norm for the month and more than the previous seven months combined.

It was the second-wettest June since record keeping began in 1851. The wettest June was in 1932, when 23.32 inches fell.

Through Friday, 7.96 inches have fallen this month, already more than the average total for the month.

jacksonville.com

What I don't understand is why we get thunderstorms everyday but there are no hurricanes brewing?

Actually, UH, if you think about it.. most of the activity for the Atlantic Season does not kick up until early to mid August. There are some June & July storms, but they are often few and far between. And many that affect the coast do not get started until Late August through October (think Isabel, Hugo, Floyd, Frederick, David, etc. etc ).

In the case of the N Florida area, many of the major storms we get in the afternoons here form over the St. Johns River. And because this area is kind of trapped in between the river and the Ocean, there is a constant flow of the storms. And in the case of the Atlantic, there is just apparently not enough that is needed to get any of the storms going. There are tropical waves, but actually not as many as there have been in the recent years, plus they are just not building enough nor are they circulating to become cyclones.

Actually I am relieved that we have returned to the old Florida pattern. I hated the droughts we have had in the last half decade, especially hating the wild fires that stemmed from the lack of rain (like the major wildfire in 1998, and the minor one in either 2000 or 2001)

Edited by Yillara_Soong

The Times Union article goes on to say that this is a very unusual weather pattern due in part to the Bermuda High remaining too far South, and mid latitude disturbances that usually are further North but remaining lower.

The Times Union article goes on to say that this is a very unusual weather pattern due in part to the Bermuda High remaining too far South, and mid latitude disturbances that usually are further North but remaining lower.

I guess this kind of changes the predictions that they had for a higher activity hurricane season. But then again, the season is still relatively early on...so we will all have to wait and see.

Check out either of the links.. Tropical Depression 1 has formed off the coast of N. FLorida and should be affecting the eastern seaboard in the next few days...probably may become Tropical Storm Alex by sometime tomorrow. That is, unless the tropical wave in the Gulf of Mexico picks up and develops faster.

Edited by Yillara_Soong

This is pretty much a too late here...

But I pray and hope that all along the gulf seaboard of FL, as well as the SE of the US are prepared for the two hurricanes and that all will be safe. Check out the links at the first few posts of the thread for info on these storms.

Next few days here should be quite interesting....