Sign in to follow this  
Jeanway

~~ Threadiquette ~~

What are your thoughts on how to behave in a thread? About new threads and how often you should go back in and relpy to any new posts. Starting a new Thread? How long is too long in a post or the actual thread's lifetime? Stuff like that. Should we have a " StartrekFans.Net Lexicon" Thread? Just thinking out loud :laugh:

Yea, if you START a thread how often should you go back in and post? How much is TOO much?Or not enough? :look:

well...... you can't criticize posting in your own thread unless spamming...

OK, WAB, give me all the examples of SPAMMING you can think of. I really don't know what that means, I'm serious. :look:

Holy Crap WAB, wasn't he the terror of the old .Com room? Scared me a few times. :look: And we thought Freek was bad. :look:

:look:

He was really bad....

They're having a break from cleetus at the moment, but he'll be back...

They refuse to ban his IP....

Stupid admin at startrek.com...

Should we have a " StartrekFans.Net Lexicon" Thread? Just thinking out loud :look:
What are your thoughts on how to behave in a thread?
Completely read the posts already present to get a sense of the content of the discussion and THEN post a reply. The point of posting is to talk to one another. The benefit is increased number of posts, hence increased rank. But your goal should not be just to say anything.....it should be to communicate ideas.

I am speaking generally...not just to any one person.

About new threads
By all means share your thoughts by starting new threads, but limit the number of new threads you start.
and how often you should go back in and relpy to any new posts.
Help to develop the ideas you introduce in the thread by revisiting the conversation being developed there. Don't just post and run. Make sure the thread stays on topic, and the replies you get indicate that your original thought or question is being addressed.
  Starting a new Thread?
Feel free to post new threads, but post thoughtfully as a member of a community. Look to see whether or not your posting dominates to the exclusion of others. Make sure you take the time to look at other members' posted threads to address the questions or interests of others.
How long is too long in a post or the actual thread's lifetime?
There is no limit..to length of a post, or life of a thread, unless rules are broken and the thread is closed, or unless the thread starter requests the thread be closed for a valid reason.

The above are my opinions.

See MJ, you never know. I thought alot of my questions were , well, kind of lame. :look: But I thought going back into a thread I started was kind of, um, self-serving for the lack of a better term. So apparently there is a kind of philosophy about threading, I guess. We are supposed to try to keep our threads on topic, kind of training wheels for becoming a Mod, huh? :look: I know that there ARE some people who run through the threads like it's some kind of race, seeking quantity not quality, not metioning any names :( I saw one thread had 10,000 posts, that's amazing. :hug:

Cleetus? You know, there's a reason I don't frequent startrek.com when I can avoid it...

I think that you can post as many times as you like, as long as you've got something to say. I'm also a firm believer in proper spelling and grammar, but hey. On-topic? I don't mind, as long as it's a natural (d)evolution of the original topic. Good example: someone commenting on something in a personal log. Bad example: the whole 'doctorate'-spelling thing in the Cosby thread.

I also believe in being courteous if and when possible, and in backing up what you say.

(Yeah. You can tell what forum I spend most of my time in.)

I could care less about spelling in a thread..

I look at the content more that the Spelling

And your personal log is just that a Personal log..maybe one should not post unless

1> it relates to them and you want to defend yourself

2> You are trying to convey emotion about what the person is going through

Cleetus? You know, there's a reason I don't frequent startrek.com when I can avoid it...

I think that you can post as many times as you like, as long as you've got something to say. I'm also a firm believer in proper spelling and grammar, but hey. On-topic? I don't mind, as long as it's a natural (d)evolution of the original topic. Good example: someone commenting on something in a personal log. Bad example: the whole 'doctorate'-spelling thing in the Cosby thread.

I also believe in being courteous if and when possible, and in backing up what you say.

(Yeah. You can tell what forum I spend most of my time in.)

YOU AFRAID OF HIM TOO?? :hug::look: :)

I also think spelling and grammar are important. Thank You Kyalia. :(

With ' SPELL CHECK' RIGHT THERE!!!!!!! :look: COURSE I've even argued with that sometimes :(

I don't care about spelling unless its not understandable....

Or it's a major mistake that is so obvious

Well sometimes you get so heated that you forget to spellcheck

Freek is not as Bad as Cletus or Alex or Ro or even Ed_belfor

ABYDAY

YOU AFRAID OF HIM TOO?? :hug:  :(  :look:

I also think spelling and grammar are important. Thank You Kyalia. :(

With ' SPELL CHECK' RIGHT THERE!!!!!!! :look: COURSE I've even argued with that sometimes :)

Yeah, I ticked a few people off with a spelling rant in Kronos (Risa then) a few months back.

As for Cleetus... not scared as much as severly annoyed. I've never encountered Ro or Ed_belfor and don't remember Alex. As I've said, I don't visit startrek.com very often.

Another bit of what-I-believe-in that I forgot: swearing. It's not effective when used constantly, and especially when there's no point. All it shows is a lack of imagination.

See MJ, you never know.  I thought alot of my questions were , well, kind of lame. :look:  I know that there ARE some people who run through the threads like it's some kind of race, seeking quantity not quality, not metioning any names :hug: I saw one thread had 10,000 posts, that's amazing. :look:
Some of your threads have been "off the beaten path." But you have also started some wonderful threads, including one of my favorites, the one asking people about what beatuiul thing they had seen that day. This thread was revisited not only by you, but by many members repeatedly, and caused people to think about something positive in the environment around them, and share it with others. There are over 120 posts in that thread, and who knows when someone will find it again and bump it up.
But I thought going back into a thread I started was kind of, um, self-serving for the lack of a better term. So apparently there is a kind of philosophy about threading, I guess. We are supposed to try to keep our threads on topic, kind of training wheels for becoming a Mod, huh? :(
It's really not practicing to be a mod, jeanway. It is maintaining a conversation. I did not mean to suggest it was your responsibility to keep the thread on track, but that you should be interested in how your own thread progresses. Some people on this board ask the moderators to close down a thread that gets way off the original topic, and that request is usually granted, especially when there is a lot of arguing and no communication going on. But some open a thread to get a conversation going, and want it to stay on track, and so stay with it.

I never get why you can't say dic....

the bad thing is that when you're talking about the person dic.k, you can't...

And i would looooooooveeeeee to put my website in my sig too......

Is there a rule against it?