Sign in to follow this  
Madam Captain

Hard Time

I just finished watching 'Hard Time' from season three, the episode in which Miles believes he has been in prison for twenty years. I have seen this episode once before but after the second time, it was even better.

This episode has lots of symbolic messages and I think it holds different meanings for different people. Miles was adamant that he had spent the last twenty years in that prison cell, when he was only really subjected to those memories for a matter of hours. Everybody on the station tried to imagine what it was like for him, being alone in that cell for so long but of course they had no idea. Miles knew his memories were real and although Julian and the others were trying to help him, they couldn't reach him to give him the help he really needed.

For me, this episode is saying that one person may experience something that may be absolutely impossible for someone else to imagine. For example, somebody who is brought up in an alternative lifestyle may find it difficult to understand how other people can live any other way. Or a person that has lived in an abusive household all their life may find it hard to comprehend that other people don't live that way. It also brings up the issue of mental health. I don't really want to get into that on here, as I don't know enough about this subject to really form an opinion. There are lots of other examples that I could mention but I'm sure others get the idea. My flatmate said this episode represents different things to her. She is a member of this forum so I will let her reply with her own opinions.

What do other people think?? Does this episode hold messages for you??

Madam Captain out!!