Sign in to follow this  
Chief_Rosco

Star Trek Voyager Box Sets

Out of the people who have purchased or looked at the first season of Voyager DVD Box Set;

What do you think of the quality of work they put into the presentation of this latest box set?

Now I know the content will be just fine, but I was just looking at the box set at Wal-Mart (to be purchased later), and I found its presentation quite lacking in comparison to the previous TNG and DS9 box sets. In fact I was quite dissappointed, a couple of standard images and the rest just transparent plastic. Now possibly I am missing something not having opened one yet, but I was curious as to what everyone else's thoughts are. This will not deter me from purchasing it, but I don't feel it has met my expectations, especially with what has come before it.

Also, this set is down to 5 discs, so how come we did not get a price break from the standard 7 disc box set price?

I look forward to everyone's thoughts, cheers!!

CR

Guest Ktrek

Hi Chief,

As I stated on a previous thread a couple of days ago I am VERY disappointed in the quality of the box for this set. I thought DS9 was cheap but this exceeds even my lowest expectations. The slip case is in two parts One part pulls from the top and then you remove the disc section from the bottom half. The five disc holders are just banded together by tape. The outside cover of mine has glue smeared all over it under the paper exterior. I think the box will fall apart in time. I am planning on buying some more professional boxes and doing my own cover art unless I can find some cover art that is really good. Here is a guy who has designed some GREAT artwork for all the series released thus far. I will likely use his and get rid of the cheap boxes.

ARTWORK

This guys work is fantastic. I like how he got the 40 TOS discs down to just 5 boxes. Saves a LOT of disc space. I noticed he is going to do Voyager boxes so I will probably wait for his artwork. Here is a link where you can get the disc boxes he uses for very little money.

DISC BOXES

As for the price being lower just because it's five discs instead of the usual 7....I never expected it. Paramount is going to get us for every dollar possible.

Let me add one other thing. Even though the boxes are cheap the picture and sound quality is better that the TNG or DS9 sets were. The 5.1 surround is really well done. The picture is good and very clear with very few artifacts. So I still am glad to have copies on DVD even though I think that at $100 a pop Paramount could have provided us with something a little better package wise.

Hope this helps!

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

As regards VOY DVD box sets - I will NOT be buying them at all

I hated the show and have yet to find an episode I actually liked

As regards the DS9 box sets I found that the region 2 United Kingdom packaging was nicer than what was available in the US/Canada - perhaps europeans liked DS9 more than the Americans/Canadians

Ktrek,

Thanks for that info, I checked out those sites and the work looks great. I think that will definately be my solution to the Voyager box sets.

As for the comment I made about the price break, I know they'll get every dollare they can out of us, it was a comment made out of frustration more than anything.

Thanks again for pointing me towards the custom work.

Cheers!!

CR :laugh:

Guest Ktrek
Ktrek,

Thanks for that info, I checked out those sites and the work looks great.  I think that will definately be my solution to the Voyager box sets.

As for the comment I made about the price break, I know they'll get every dollare they can out of us, it was a comment made out of frustration more than anything.

Thanks again for pointing me towards the custom work.

Cheers!!

CR :laugh:

Always glad to help out a fellow fan whenever I can! :clap: <_<

Ktrek

People said the TNG cardboard sets were crappy, but mine's in great shape. If the DS9 & VOY sets are as bad as people say, I'll just keep them in the cabinet and store the actual DVD's in those flat, colored cases with a different color for each season. :flowers:

The DS9 Sets Are Fine. As Long As You Don't Abuse Them, They'll Survive....But These Voyager Sets??

The slip case is in two parts One part pulls from the top and then you remove the disc section from the bottom half.

Not Too Bad I Suppose.

The five disc holders are just banded together by tape.

Now This Is Just Stupid. I'll Definitely Try To Find Better Casing.

Btw, I Saw The Season 1 Set Last Week, Wasn't Too Impressed, But I Liked The Show....So I'll Be Getting It.