Sign in to follow this  
Danny

Moving the Dysan's Sphere?

With Federation technology, do you think it would be feasable to cut the Dysan's sphere in half and move it to another star? The cost of such a venture would probably still be far less than actually building one. I believe that with some sustained phaser action they could slice right through that baby in no time and have a few tug-ships tow her over toanother star for re-assemly.

I was angry that in the story, the sphere had been abandoned. You would think anyone with the technology to build one would have predicted the remaining life of the star. The only explanation is a species like the one in The Chase that was around billions of years before any of the others. The question is...where did they go? They neglected to mention any sort of investigation into who might have built the sphere. I'm glad it was #5 of all time and I hope they use a sphere or something in the next movie.

Lastly if you think about the resources needed to build such a structure it almost seems impossible even by 24th century standards. The amount of steel or whatever is was made of would have been impossible to create unless the project took thousands of years. If you recall Data said the interior volume was equivalent to 250 million class M planets. To harvest that, you'd need to visit probably 3-4 times that many planets and then bring the materials back to the construction site. I could do some mock calculations but I suspect it would take probably 10,000 years to build one. All the more reason to save it!

That would be a massive undertaking, I won't say it wouldn't be possible but I believe the diameter of the sphere was the same as the Earth's orbit around the sun.