Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Final episode

Now-a-days most televisions series' finish with some sort of conclusion or episode that is intended to say goodbye to the viewer. However TOS did not really get this as it was cancelled at the end of series three and ended with the episode "Turnabout Intruder". How do you feel about this as the end of the orginal series? Was it a good episode to end on?

This has always bothered me really. Every other series knew when the show was ending and had a final episode. In fact they put a lot of thought into that final episode as a way of sort of wrapping up the series..Sure I still have a problem with DS9's final episode but at least they had one..It just seems to me that TOS was cancelled abruptly and they weren't able to plan for the end..Or perhaps that is just they way they did things in the 60s..It certainly is a missed opportunity than can never be corrected..Oh how I wish TOS lasted more than 3 short years..It isn't fair..It's like if Enterprise were cancelled this year! So many stories would be left untold..And TOS ended on such a poor episode..At least the crew got to come back in some awesome movies..

I have to agree I never liked the last ep. It would have been nice to see another season because that was when they started to change the way they looked at the ratings.

Unfortunately when you get canceled you don't get to plan that last episode. And I rather liked Turnabout Intruder. Was it the episode to close with? Why not? Not all series through time got a"conclusion" episode. Some series just never returned the next season. I'm just glad they brought this crew back after ten years and made six fine films, ending with Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered County. That was their series finale and what a fine ending it was!

T'Bree

Turnabout Intruder was a good episode, and as Spacehippie pointed out Shatner does a terrific job playing a woman that was slightly deranged. It was DeForrest Kelly's good acting that saved another often-refered-to-as-worst-episode Spock's Brain.

Anyway, it wasn't a finale type episode and wasn't meant to be, we got robbed of two whole seasons. However, as pointed out, the original crew got their finale was ST6:TUC.

BTW, Turnabout Intruder was produced in June of '69, why so late? Is it possible that this episode was the first produced in what was to be season four?

Edited by Big_Steve

Turnabout intrudor was one of those eps that in my opinion was neither overly good or overly bad, however it was enjoyable to watch none the less.. as all TOS episodes are. TOS never did have a season finale but it didnt need one as said b4 STVI had a great ending.... "second star to the right and straight on till morning" i think that was the line, it was great! TOS didnt need a last ep because the journey wasnt over, they still had 6 movies that followed the series, and they were great (Well most of them)...why have a final episode when you have that many more movies that came after? it seems smarter to do what they did... it just made the last TOS TV show ep look like another voyage. to me the real ending will always be startrek 6 the undiscovered country

I've never really cared for that episode either, I've always felt that they shhould have given it a better ending... any ending... as it was they just vanished without a word.

I have not seen it. But, most shows in the 60's really did not have a ending. that is the main reason why in the 70's there where a lot of spin-offs to the older shows.

Although William Shatner did a fantastic job in that episode, it certainly deserved a better series ending. But like Lursa said, it was pretty typical of 60's tv to just end it without tying it up all nice and pretty.