Sign in to follow this  
WEAREBORG4102

Nemesis and director

Who thought the writer and director did a good job?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who thought the writer and director did a good job?

• Both were the Best
    • Both were the Worst
    • Director was better
    • Writer was better
    • Could have done better job with plot and character development
    • no opinion
    • don't care
    • Both were ok
    • Both were pretty good
    • Both were pretty bad
    • Director is stupid because he doesn't know anything about Trek
    • Other (specify)

Remember the director of nemesis? He called a turbolift an elevator! How non-Trek can you get? Seat Belts????? Why? The new first Officer.... Dumb as a door nail.... Calling a Captain by his first name on the first day.... Who cut out the good parts??? Why not use shuttle transporters? Why not use the captain's yacht transporters? Hello get DATA OUT!!!!!!!!!! He could have been saved. Hello Shuttle bay=back of ship=undamaged in collision! Why not use their transporters????????

I voted - Director is stupid because he doesn't know anything about Trek

I wouldn't call him stupid, but that's how I feel. The movie was too dark, the Remans weren't explorred, and Picard and Data got too much focus. He didn't treat the cast like an ensemble cast, and since this is their final adventure, that's what bugged me. I was expected everyone to have at least one big scene in the movie.

Remember the director of nemesis? He called a turbolift an elevator! How non-Trek can you get? Seat Belts????? Why? The new first Officer.... Dumb as a door nail.... Calling a Captain by his first name on the first day.... Who cut out the good parts??? Why not use shuttle transporters? Why not use the captain's yacht transporters? Hello get DATA OUT!!!!!!!!!! He could have been saved. Hello Shuttle bay=back of ship=undamaged in collision! Why not use their transporters????????

Ya know, I was wonderring why Data didn't just fly over their in a shuttlecraft, beam Picard out, then ask Picard to beam him up and fly off as the Schimitar explodes. My theory is that the shuttlecraft were damaged from the collission and that the Captain's Yacht may have been offline due to the attack.

They did not use the shuttles is because it would be to easy. Star Trek does this all the time. They have so much technology that they can use that it is hard for a writer to figure out a story that would be exciting to the viewer so they have to forget that they have certan things. So they just forgot they had them at the time so they had to think of something else to do. At least thats the way it looks IMHO.

Saying that they "forgot to use the shuttles" sounds a bit lame in my opinion. I think it's far more likely that either the shuttles were damaged, or the ship's systems were damaged, thus the shuttlebay doors are sealed and the yacht is "locked" into the ship. Another possability is that the Schimitar would have destroyed any approaching shuttlecraft.

I was extremely tempted to vote for the stupid director option, but I held back and decided to again complain.

"Character Development You Idiot! Go Back Into The Editing Room And Work On A Schwartzenager Flick Or Something!"

Okey Dokey. Rant Over. :o I'm good.

But I was so inclined to blame the film itself in general, untill I heard that the original script had about 45 minutes more of dialogue then the finished film did. If they had cut 15 or so minutes out of the last battle, there would have been enough time to get other characters like Beverly, Geordi, and heck even Wesley more some camera time and build on the characters all around. I listened to Baird's comentary on the Nemisis DVD and like I said if it were an all out action flick it might have worked, but I remain unsatified with the last chapter of The Next Generation films.

I wouldn't call him stupid, but that's how I feel.

But you call Tattoos stupid.

NEM as it was originally written was (IS) an excellent Trek Story that got muffed up by a clumsy no nothing about Trek director.

I voted writer was better but I could have easily gone with director was stupid because he didn't know anything about Trek.

John Logan wrote a great script which Baird hacked to bits. He cut out a lot of character moments that I think may have made Nemesis better received. All the deleted scenes I saw could have been worked in perfectly. I would not mind seeing Logan write another Star Trek movie because he knows the franchise, but I would like to see either Johnathon Frakes or LeVar Burton direct.

I wouldn't call him stupid, but that's how I feel.

But you call Tattoos stupid.

The word stupid can be just as descriptive as it can be insulting. When I call tattoo's stupid, it describes how I feel about them. However, the a highly doubt a movie director would be stupid, so it comes off as more of an insult. This is why I didn't want to call him stupid.

NEM as it was originally written was (IS) an excellent Trek Story that got muffed up by a clumsy no nothing about Trek director.

I totally agree! :o

John Logan wrote a great script which Baird hacked to bits. He cut out a lot of character moments that I think may have made Nemesis better received. All the deleted scenes I saw could have been worked in perfectly. I would not mind seeing Logan write another Star Trek movie because he knows the franchise, but I would like to see either Johnathon Frakes or LeVar Burton direct.

That is exactly my feeling. I feel that to please the actual fan-base of Star Trek, people who know Trek have to take the most important jobs (writing, screen writing, directing, producing). Robert Wise directed The Motion Picture was directed by Robert Wise, one of the best directors of his (if not all) time, but there is just so much depth and history with Star Trek and it's nearly impossible for anyone to take it all in and totally understand it. I've wanted to see Frakes, or Burton, or maybe David Carson ( The Emisarry and Generations) or Robert Duncan MeNiel (Twilight) to get a shot at the next film.

My vote:

"Director didn't know enough about Trek,,, and Writer knew too much (fanboy)"

I think they should have just left all the deleted scenes in. The ones that were on the DVD were good I thought. If people want to see the movie, who cares how long it is?

I never have seen Lord of the Rings but that's pretty long right? and people go in droves to see that!

I would have loved to see all the characters getting their time in the spotlight instead of just being there.

I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of Wesley Crusher but I still wanted to know what the heck he was doing there!