Sign in to follow this  
ussacclaim

Space Seed Question

OK, I've mostly concentrated on watching the other series of Star Trek, but I have started watching TOS.

Anyway, in "Space Seed" the Enterprise is pictured near the "Botany Bay" and then on the bridge an officer reports that the Enterprise is traveling at Warp 2.

Since the Botany Bay was in the 1990's (I must have missed the launching and the whole Eugenics Wars: Darn you CNN!) it isn't warp capable so is this just a writing mistake or what?

And even though TOS has a different warp table, Warp 2 should not be sublight.

OK, so I'd appreciate some comments. Thanks!

Just another example of the budget crunch often experienced by TOS, they couldn't afford to "show" the tractor beam. Or was the other ship inclosed in the warp field? I don't remember but I'm sure whatever it was, it wasn't seen because of $$$.

Edited by Alterego

I am thinking because it was a deep space sleeper ship,It might just run on impulse power

I believe it was just an oversight by the writers, of course there is an example of a non warp ship being able to travel at warp speeds. In DS9 the Bajoran solar ship that Sisko built was able to travel at warp so perhaps the Botany Bay was traveling at warp due to something within space that accelerated it.