Sign in to follow this  
Jim Phaserman

Battleships...which one is a better ship?

Okay. let's see the matchup.

Name: HMS Rodney

length: 710 feet

Beam: 106 feet

Mean Draught: 30 feet

displacement: 33,000+ tons

Speed: 23 knots

Firepower:

9-16" main guns (in 3 triple turrets, all mounted forward of the superstructure)

12-6" guns

8-4 inch AA

16-40mm AA

48- 2 pdr. Pompoms

61-20mm AA

Name: USS New Jersey

length: 890 feet

Beam: 108 feet

Max Draught: 36 feet

displacement: 52,000+ tons

Speed: 35 knots

Firepower:

9-16" main guns (in 3 triple turrets, 2 for 1 aft)

20-5" guns

80-40mm AA

50-20mm AA

So, there's the numbers. these are two of the biggest, meanest ships ever thought up. but, if they faced each other in open water, who would win?

here are pictures of the ships

Click for Spoiler:

bb62oa.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

baumann051.jpg

Edited by Ensign Jim Phaserman

Of the 2 pictures is the New Jersey the top or bottom?

As for which of the 2 are better, I have to be completely biased and say the USS New Jersey. But that's based simply on Patriotism. The numbers on both are pretty impressive.

Actually, the Wisconsin is bigger by like 15 feet.

I was looking at it thinking the New Jersey had 9 Guns up front but looking at the photos again I see I was incorrect. The New Jersey and the Wisconsin are the same class though, correct?

I don't know a lot about Navy ships myself since I was an Army man but I have been to Norfolk with a friend of mine that spend 20+ years on carriers. Those carriers are Huge when you stand next to them.

Firepower is good, but just as important is how it is deployed. in this case, I would say the New Jersey, because she can attack an enemy from every direction. the Rodney has a very limited field of fire with all of her main guns mounted forward. Plus, the New Jersey is faster, and therefor can choose the distances at which the engagement is made. as for the Wisconsin, yes, she is the same class. she was involved in a collission with a destroyer, and had to have her entire bow replaced, so that's why she is larger. I've heard that a Nimitz class Aircraft carrier will make either of these two ships look increadibly small.

It's hard for me to tell but the US vessel seems to be significantly faster than the Royal Navy ship. Even though the Brit ship has more big guns speed does count for a lot imo.

I've heard that a Nimitz class Aircraft carrier will make either of these two ships look increadibly small.

That's very true. My neighbor that spent 20+ years in the navy took me down to the Norfolk Naval base a couple years ago while the Wisconsin was still there. We first visited the Carriers then drove down to see the Wisconsin. After seeing the Truman and another (I forget which one) the Wisconsin seemed VERY small.

Every day I drive to work when I'm working (I'm on workers comp right now) I drive past the Wisconsin though and it's always an awesome sight to see it's main guns pointing down the street.

Firepower is good, but just as important is how it is deployed. in this case, I would say the New Jersey, because she can attack an enemy from every direction. the Rodney has a very limited field of fire with all of her main guns mounted forward. Plus, the New Jersey is faster, and therefor can choose the distances at which the engagement is made. as for the Wisconsin, yes, she is the same class. she was involved in a collission with a destroyer, and had to have her entire bow replaced, so that's why she is larger. I've heard that a Nimitz class Aircraft carrier will make either of these two ships look increadibly small.

Definitely can't argue with the sarge. 35 knots with guns in every direction against

23 with guns only forward makes the NJ a winner I think. Although I don't know much

about battleships, I'm guessing it's pretty hard to take one out with AA guns, so

those probably don't matter. Am I right?

Yeah, Nik. the 5 and 6 inch secondaries are useles against another battleship, and the 40s, 20s, and Pom Poms are really only good for AA. However, it is more cost effective to smash a destroyer using secondaries than Main batteries.