Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Deltans

Does anyone else know any more about the Deltan race? I know they are meant to be the opposite of Vulcans and are a very sensual race, but do we know any more about them from the pre production and the conception on Phase 2?

The novelization of ST:TMP by Gene Rodenberry delves a little deeper into the Deltan race. The Deltans view sex very casually-kind of a way of saying hello, or in the same way the Human race would view a hand shake. They can't comprehend the taboos the human race attaches to sex. That's why Ilia stated that humans are "a sexually immature species." The Deltans also release pheromones which generate a sexual response in other humanoid species. This can prove very embarrassing for a Human male when encountering a Deltan female, and is why Lt Ilia had to sign an oath of celibacy before joining Starfleet.

Okay, here goes. This comes from "The Worlds of the Federation"

Delta is the fifth of eight planets orbiting Delta Triciatu, a white dwarf star. The planet has two moons, Seyann and Cinera, both of which support large underground cities with Federation port facilities.

Delta is a beautiful, green world with vast forests covering much of the planet's surface. Environmental conservation of the abundant flora has long been of primary concern to the native population. It is interesting to not that Delta has the lowest animal species extinction rate in the Federation, a result of the Deltans' artistic blending of technology and nature.

The Deltan people are humanoid, varying only slighly from the Terran norm. They are hairless, except for eyebrows and eyelashess. Deltans are perhaps best known for their intense sexual attractiveness. Both sexes emit some of the most potent pheromones known to Federation science. These natural aphrodisiacs affect all humanoid races but are most effective with other Deltans. For this reason, Deltans must swear an oath of celibacy before serving at any facility that employs other humanoid races. Chemical applications developed by the Deltans are capable of diminishing the pheromonal effect, and such treatments have been made mandatory within confined spaces, such as a starship.

Deltans are also naturally empathic, allowing them to deliver medical aid by absorbing and minimizing pain in humanoid life forms. They make excellent doctors and nurses and can provide a form of "mind-meld anesthesia" during emergency surgical procedures. Like Vulcans, Deltans are tolerated telepaths and can easily sense the emotions of others.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

The major information given about this species was removed from TMP in the D.E. but can be watched on the deleted scene's section of the S.F. disk.

This was a great thread.I learned a ton about the Deltans!

Prior to reading this,I only knew that they were bald,Federation members,and hyper-sexual.

I would disagree with them that humans are sexually immature,though.Some of us might see them as sexually immature,what with the way they just do what they do,at the drop of a hat.still....

It might be an awesome place to visit :o

It might be an awesome place to visit :o

Red!I'm shocked... :o

Delta IV does sound intriguing though,doesn't it?The place probably makes Risa look like a Sunday School picnic.

I'm wondering about the differing appearance of Deltan males and females..

I read in the novelization of Star Trek IV,that the Saratoga's helmsman was a Deltan,and he had a white leonine mane of hair,bushy white eyebrows and orange-hued flesh (not to mention red eyes).Since the Federation president on Star Trek VI,looked similar,I'd always assumed that he,too was Deltan.Yet,Ilia looked very human.

You sure about that HK-554?I could've sworn I read in the novelization of The Undiscovered Country that the President was Deltan.I'll have to brave the inner recesses of my closet and dig that book out and check. :thumbs: